Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IN a fuel tank ( not ME ) , Gas was about 17 yrs old,,,, I want to hear some suggestion's on how to clean out a aluminum boat fuel tank,, I got 98% of the gas out ,, when you look inside ( took the sending unit out ) It has a heavy layer of CRAP on all the wall's and the bottom,,, If it was dry I would use the 2 handfull's of pee-gravel and shake like HELL method,,:|err ,, SO WHAT DO YOU GUY'S DO ?????? ........ Thank's in advance ..............Eric:)hand

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
A couple gallons of denatured alcohol would be a good start...

Maybe follow up with some toluene?

Sounds nasty (not to mention smelly):)sphss

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
IN a fuel tank ( not ME ) , Gas was about 17 yrs old,,,, I want to hear some suggestion's on how to clean out a aluminum boat fuel tank,, I got 98% of the gas out ,, when you look inside ( took the sending unit out ) It has a heavy layer of CRAP on all the wall's and the bottom,,, If it was dry I would use the 2 handfull's of pee-gravel and shake like HELL method,,:|err ,, SO WHAT DO YOU GUY'S DO ?????? ........ Thank's in advance ..............Eric:)hand
Alky whatever it takes to disolve the varnish, I use laquer thinner (let it soak) , not sure I'm crazy about the Pea gravel due to the grit (done that with coolant tanks) also alot of radiator shops will boil those tanks for a few bucks, That varnish could be hell on valve guides if it comes thru with fuel. Several year ago I lit a motor just to see if it would run in an old resto (bad fuel) and stuck almost every intake valve :mad: Tom

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
segestion

Put a hand full of 1/2" nuts in the tank and drive around for a week or so with it in the bed of your Pick-up. Roll the tank over to a differant side once and a while. Then rinse the crap out. One gallon of de-natured alcohol from Home Depot after the wash out is where I would start. (Same as the pea gravel deal)
Good luck, be safe. schick

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Parts dip works GREAT.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
put some seafoam & a log chain in it & shake the crap out it, then like said leave it in the bed of your truck 7 drive around a week or so. then dump & repeat till clean.
Log chain works better than gravel or nuts cause you can get it all outa there.

·
small block jet
392 Posts
I have used a bag of ice before. Nice sharp edges, shake it back and forth, pour out the water and sludge, repeat if needed. No gravel left for the filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts