Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of us are outraged by the Govt Bail Outs.

What would be a better solution, besides standing by and letting both the financial institutions and the automakers fall?

Would we be better off providing $2T in personal welfare instead of corperate welfare? Would that really work?

We have been subsidizing the farming industry (paying farmers not to grow crops to keep prices high) for as long as I can remember. How is that different then OPEC cutting back on oil production?

I don't know what the answer is. Does anybody else have any ideas?

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
... besides standing by and letting both the financial institutions and the automakers fall? ...
I don't recall from my history classes the world or the USA stopping when a US automaker went out of business, a lot of US automakers have gone out of business before. Let them fail. Same for the financial institutions, let them fail. It's not the economy that's making these huge corporations fail, it's poor management. It's the way our system works but only if you let it work.

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't recall from my history classes the world or the USA stopping when a US automaker went out of business, a lot of US automakers have gone out of business before. Let them fail. Same for the financial institutions, let them fail. It's not the economy that's making these huge corporations fail, it's poor management. It's the way our system works but only if you let it work.
I pretty much agree wih you, but if they fail, then a whole lotta folks are outta work and that creates another set of problems. Would it be better to spend the money to retrain all of those that are unemployed?

I'm serious, I'm trying to figure out a better solution, but I can't.

It totally stinks that Paulsen, who was a Wall St exec and made 100's of millions of dollars, is now giving money away to his ol' croanies (who are giving themselves MORE outrageous bonuses). Could this have been pre-planned years ago? Bush is no better...everyone has known for years that the auto industry is in bed with the oil industry which got Bush elected. Now that the oil moguls have made billions of dollars of record setting profits they have switched their tactics and now are pushing their elected lame duck puppet to save the gas guzzling Big 3. George W has some huge huevo's...

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Let them fail. It creates a ton of new opportunities. Businesses to make GM parts, truckers to move the parts, etc..., maybe even a new US car company, it's the way the system works if it's allowed to.

·
Large Member
679 Posts
Chrysler year 1979

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
I say force them to restructure 100% of their labor costs from the CEO to the lot boys. Once they prove that they have cut sufficiently to operate competitively against the foreign auto makers, then LOAN them the $ which surely will come back to the tax payers by virtue of clear-cut agreements knowing full well that an American car built by $20. per hour wages will profit quite well - even in a struggling economy.

I far prefer to see the auto makers bailed out ONLY AFTER A MANDATED WAGE RESTRUCTURING than AIG, Wall Street and or mortgage companies. All of the latter are merely investment vehicles as opposed to manufacturing actual products as the auto makers where literally millions of people are employed.

I've heard is said that if the big three fail completely, that the world's economy will fail with it due to it's massive intertwined network of operations, financial dependence and the enormity of labor associated with them.

·
Unleashedclothing
278 Posts
Take the money and retrain people and put them to work.

The United States infrastructure is aging and needs to be rebuilt.

Build new Nuclear power plants.

Build new wind turbines for Electricity and restructure the way we use power. There are millions of acres of land the government owns with natural wind areas it would take a decade or two but would but would put many people to work.

Put new solar panels on all new houses built and retrofit older homes through government programs.

build new roads and Highways plus fix the older bridges and older highways that are aging throughout the country.

Build new high speed electro magnetic bullet trains.

create new methods of transportation.

Build Desalinization plants for that turn salt in the drinking water and pump that water to dry areas throughout the states.

Put money back into the space program and explore possibilities on other planets etc...these programs put lots of people to work..from nothrop to boeing etc.

Create technology that harnesses the oceans power..under water currents are huge..imagine if we could use it to create energy.

I could go on and on..this is still the greatest country in the world we just have to get off our lazy ass8s and get back to ingenuity and creativity. Its all out there and would create millions of jobs. I dunno Im just rambling but its out there.

Deano

http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Huge Corporations are not what made America great. Once they started buying out all the other companies they got too big for their own good.

American ingenuity will rule again if it is allowed to.

Big government might be getting out of hand. 30% to 50% taxation might be what destroys this country. No company can survive that and the workers will hopefully revolt.

Action speaks louder than words.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:mad: maybe someone could suggest getting rid of these maggots they call "speculators", they too created alot of the "inflated" bullshit, like OIL PRICING !!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Part of the bailout should make all companies recieving money bring all work back to the U.S. Now the Mexico car plants want some of the U.S. bailout money.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:mad::mad: THE HELL WITH THEM ALL !!! WHEN DO WE THE PEOPLE GET OUR BAILOUT MONEY, FOR ALL WE'VE LOST IN OUR 401's !!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: Remember , GWB officially said the U.S.A. has been in a "RECESSION" since November 2007, so bail us out since at least then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
:mad::mad: THE HELL WITH THEM ALL !!! WHEN DO WE THE PEOPLE GET OUR BAILOUT MONEY, FOR ALL WE'VE LOST IN OUR 401's !!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: Remember , GWB officially said the U.S.A. has been in a "RECESSION" since November 2007, so bail us out since at least then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry and I am in agreement with you. Huge Corporations got together and found a way to devalue the market so they didn't have to pay all that investment $$ back. :|err

Just being devil's advocate here. But may be some truth in it.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
We need to stop worrying about Wall street so much. If the bail out was for the people, ie making more energy efficiant and greener power, alternative powered cars, and not just better MPG, rebuilding OUR infrastructure, creating more high tech jobs THEN KEEPING THEM ALL HERE!!! And so on, Wall street will take care of its self/ Giving b$$ to over paid CEOS that are just paying themselves is helping nobody. The companies are not doing much to overcome the problems that started this mess, and less to make sure it doesn't happen again. Just my one cent, (lost the other one in my 401k)

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deano, great post. Sounds alot like Obama's plan (which was copied from FDR's plan).

How long will it take (if implemented) to pull America out of this recession?

Will it prevent the next Great Depression?

What should we do in the interim? Extend unenjoyment and welfare benifits?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Doctor's Opinions of Financial Bailout Package:

The Allergists voted to scratch it, and the Dermatologists advised not to make
any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the neurologists
thought the Administration had a lot of nerve, and the Obstetricians felt they
were all laboring under a misconception.

The Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted; the Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body! while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!"

The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, the Radiologists could
see right through it, and the Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing.

The Internists thought it was a bitter pill to swallow, and the Plastic Surgeons said, "This puts a whole new face on the matter."

The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists felt the scheme wouldn't hold water. The Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas and the Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.

The Chiropractors asserted that the entire economy needs an immediate adjustment!

In the end, the Proctologists left the decision up to some buttholes in Washington.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I know most of us are outraged by the Govt Bail Outs.

What would be a better solution, besides standing by and letting both the financial institutions and the automakers fall?

Would we be better off providing $2T in personal welfare instead of corperate welfare? Would that really work?

We have been subsidizing the farming industry (paying farmers not to grow crops to keep prices high) for as long as I can remember. How is that different then OPEC cutting back on oil production?

I don't know what the answer is. Does anybody else have any ideas?

First off we (America) is offering to lend $17 billion to companies not worth $3 billion. Does that make any sense?

According to 60 minutes last week, the whole mortgage mess could have been bought for $250 billion. Straight up and the government would be holding the property. So far coming in at 3 trillion and the government doesn't own shiat! How does giving the car builders money help? Wouldn't we be better served if we gave people money to buy cars thus creating a demand? This money is not going to save jobs. Building cars saves jobs. This is going to save a bunch of executives. Period! Watch and learn. The Democrats are going to save those that pumped money into their campaigns. The first to be injured are going to be those they promised to save. Sad but true! :)coffee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts