Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you have ran your engine with a flywheel for years and need to change it over to a flexplate , will this change have a big affect on the engine ?
i'm really not sure about the big effect, but, it sure will save a bunch of weight :), thus, its gotta help some!

FastRat

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
Is or was the motor balanced? If so, internal or external? M
I need to do the opposite. Flexplate to a flywheel. External balanced.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooooooo.................. Yes or no..... changing the flywheel to a flexplate won't affect the engine.

Its ext balance.

This is my problem, I originally set up the boat with a BBC 454 with a flexplate... Now i bought Beerjets engine and it came with a flywheel.

Now the engine needs to be moved forward about a 1/2" to make up the diff and need to buy longer bolts to install, PTO and flywheel..

Or i just buy another flexplate and put everything together:)grn
I just want to make sure im not going to hurt this engine

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Sooooooo.................. Yes or no..... changing the flywheel to a flexplate won't affect the engine.

Its ext balance.

This is my problem, I originally set up the boat with a BBC 454 with a flexplate... Now i bought Beerjets engine and it came with a flywheel.

Now the engine needs to be moved forward about a 1/2" to make up the diff and need to buy longer bolts to install, PTO and flywheel..

Or i just buy another flexplate and put everything together:)grn
I just want to make sure im not going to hurt this engine
Take the balance card and the old flywheel with the new flex plate or vise versa to a decent machine shop that does balancing and if he knows what he is doing should be able to figure it out. External balance is putting everything in-balance on the ends of the crank that is not in-balance inside the motor. Factory uses a scale of in balance and not. That would be why you have weights on the balancer and the flywheel/flexplate. A good balancer will get balance within 1/4 gram, inside or out. I would try to get as close to the balance card as possible.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
2sav...you kinda have to have an engine for it to affect in the first place :D :)hand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts