Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I got is a sanger SJ that had a bad floor, I cut out the floor and removed all the foam and installing full stringers and bulkhead. so heres my question would there be and benifits from putting the stringer into the step of the strake? #2 Has anyone used the laminating foam instead of balsa to stiffen the remaining area? And lastly should I sandwich laminate first then install the stringers over that or do stringers first them butt every thing to them? Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody !!! OK lets scratch the foam question for now and address the stringers first? or sandwich laminate first? The reason for the question is that my Kona has a sheet of plywood first then stringers . Is this the same for balsa floors?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
stringers and floors

as far as ive been told, remove the old floor, then remove, and repair one stringer at a time. after the both stringers have been replaced you can replace the floors. now i havent tried this my self yet...i still havent got the balls to start my same project. as far as the material to use on the floors???? your guess is as good as mine, seems everyone uses balsa or ply wood.:)hand
trevor

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just thinking through this...

I'd want my structural pieces (stringers) set to the strongest point...to me the outer hull..

Whether you use balsa or an advanced hex cored product, you still need to worry about cracks, water between the layers, etc.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Stringers are commonly 22" - 26" spaced apart, are you putting in a dropped floor between the stringers? Core material is great till it comes apart or absorbs water. Round the edges of your stringers, top and bottom, helps the glass lay over when laminating.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sleekcrafter didnt I read somewhere that you replaced some balsa material in your boat. There dosnt seem to be many people here in the PB forums that do this sort of thing. My intentions are to lay a few sheets of material down to help disperse the stress of the new stringers and then ad material to the inside corners of the strakes and then core balsa from the stringers outward and a balsa core floor between in between . What do you Think?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
My stringers lay on top of the balsa core, and under three layers of mat and cloth. If hull flex is a concern, consider adding a layer of mat 6 inches wide, down the stringer length, followed by tabbing the stringers. Then add mat, and lay the core material. I'm not sure how well it would work out, if the stringer were allowed to move free of the hull. My stringer are/were on top of the tunnels, are one inch wide, have minimal chance of water collecting, and penetraiting the joint. Now a two inch wide stringer, would be twice the torsional stress, if placed on top of a core material, just some thing to consider. Is your floor going to be exsposed? ie; no carpet... the balsa core does not have to be butted, the edges can be cut to a 45* bevel so the glass will roll over the edge. This would give an in-layed look, with 2-3 inch gap from the stringer. Gel the bare glass, and flow coat over the top of everything, gives you a killer floor.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Boat repairs

Your Sanger Jet was not layed up with plywood in the hull bottom. The stringers-keel was set in mat on top of the 1st layup. The second layup was then done over the stringers-keel. The floor was placed on top of the stringers.
The flat bottoms had the plywood floors set in mat on the first layup. The stringers were set in mat on top of the floors. The second layup was over the stringers and floors.
Sanger did not use foam or balsa core material.
I was fiberglas shop manager from 1970 throu 1975.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harlin ,sombody weather the factory or preveious owner filled the bow and under the floor with foam . I intend to pull the 1/4 stringers and replace them with full stringers . Just trying to gather info on balsa floor instalation . Is there any trickery to the superjet bottom design? I too worked for Jack back in the early 90's but in the header shop, and Harlin if you dont mind when this project gets closer to starting I might have to pick your brain for some more info .

·
the silver bullet!
1,996 Posts
hey flat screwed if you go to cats and tunnels the first post is about a 32 skater ask offshore ginger about what your trying to accomplish im sure he can help you with it !!!!TUNNEL T

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks Cucci I will do that when this project gets off the ground. Tunnel I have read lots of Gingers post on this topic on the Scream and fly forums seems like a knowledgeable person . Good to know there is folks willing to lend some info. Tranny in the Avalanche spilt its beans so the S.J. goes on the back burner and christmas doesnt help much either. wont get serious on this project untill Jan or Feb. "Come on tax returns" Daddy needs a new boat!!!

G

·
Balsa or foam

Ive had a few foamies now that come with the elevator or rudder with a warp or slight bend in them. Is there a way to take it out and if so how do you guys do it? The foam would be Depron.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts