Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this build for a customer about 5 years ago. The Campbell 24 it was for still hasn't been worked on to accept any power, That started 20 years ago....
Anyway he has a new toy that had a transmission problem and is OK with a new motor for the 40 mph 20 ft Campbell.
I took the trans to Art Carr and got it fixed the right way. Thanks Art !!
I found the 454 that was in the boat was a crate motor. It was the wrong crate they picked up...... Peanut heads, Cast flat top pistons, Cast crank, Stock cam ect. Maybe 50 hours on the motor. I would have been a good motor for a dually or motor home ??
So anyway, The 4 bolt main block is .030 over and is in good shape for this turbo build. The parts I have been storing : 4.250 stroke forged crank, 6.385 I beam rods with Wiseco -3 cc flat top pistons. The heads he ended up with are Bravo 335 rectangle port aluminium with 123cc chambers. Also an old style SP2P intake manifold.
So I'm stuck on the cam shaft for this one, Banks says they don't have any product info on boat motors because they aren't building them anymore. It looks like my customer wants a Crower hydraulic flat tappet turbo cam shaft. Has anyone run one of these? I'm not a turbo engine guy so I couldn't even argue this selection of cam. The springs are good for up to .560 lift.
I'm trying to keep the cost down so I can finish this thing. Turn key low maintenance. The boat owner isn't a hot rodder and is easy on equipment as they come. Just trying to get some reasonable speed out of the boat and keep the twin turbo nostalgia look.
Thanks,
David

·
Village Idiot
3,520 Posts
Holy cow, another build thread on this site! And I thought this place was dead.

it sounds like this will be a turbo deal that is just looking for a touch more “umph” than a normal engine. If we are talking low lift and low boost (five pounds max) I might be looking for moderate single profile cam with a wide LSA. Probably max of 290* advertised so in and out of gear and idling would be fairly tame and gentle, that is just my thoughts off the top of my head. If you want to maximize what is there then I would call a cam guy. My (eyes closed) cam pick would defiantely give up power but get him on the water.

Paul

·
Registered
590 Posts
Paging obnoxious001, didn't he work for banks back in the day? If not he does know the old turbo systems pretty well.

·
Gone in a Flash!
225 Posts
The cams Banks used most commonly were Engle TCS-5 and TCS-7. In conversations I had with Barry in the past, he commented that the grinds were somewhat outdated and better designs existed..
D2AF42CE-8657-4563-9BFE-5B40C12E0637.jpeg

·
Some guy
3,639 Posts
I started this build for a customer about 5 years ago. The Campbell 24 it was for still hasn't been worked on to accept any power, That started 20 years ago....
Anyway he has a new toy that had a transmission problem and is OK with a new motor for the 40 mph 21 ft Campbell.
I took the trans to Art Carr and got it fixed the right way. Thanks Art !!
I found the 454 that was in the boat was a crate motor. It was the wrong crate they picked up...... Peanut heads, Cast flat top pistons, Cast crank, Stock cam ect. Maybe 50 hours on the motor. I would have been a good motor for a dually or motor home ??
So anyway, The 4 bolt main block is .030 over and is in good shape for this turbo build. The parts I have been storing : 4.250 stroke forged crank, 6.385 I beam rods with Wiseco -3 cc flat top pistons. The heads he ended up with are Bravo 335 rectangle port aluminium with 123cc chambers. Also an old style SP2P intake manifold.
So I'm stuck on the cam shaft for this one, Banks says they don't have any product info on boat motors because they aren't building them anymore. It looks like my customer wants a Crower hydraulic flat tappet turbo cam shaft. Has anyone run one of these? I'm not a turbo engine guy so I couldn't even argue this selection of cam. The springs are good for up to .560 lift.
I'm trying to keep the cost down so I can finish this thing. Turn key low maintenance. The boat owner isn't a hot rodder and is easy on equipment as they come. Just trying to get some reasonable speed out of the boat and keep the twin turbo nostalgia look.
Thanks,
David
What sort of boost do you plan? I assume not much with the heavy boat and pump gas?

When I worked for Banks in the late 70's, they used the Engle TC S 7, but as mentioned above, there is better cam technology now. I actually ran a custom ground Crower solid flat tappet cam in my ski race boat, proprietary Richard Lee spec cam. I guess if your customer wants Crower, best to call them and see what they offer. Calculate your static compression, explain that it's a big heavy boat and you need lots of torque since the turbos won't help much on bottom end with no waste gates.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys, My mistake on the boat, It's a 20ft Campbell, If that will lighten the load at all.
Hey Barry, Do you remember when we discussed this build a few years ago? I think 8 lbs boost around 600 hp and a retard box was the plan, but I never got any cam specs. from you.
It doesn't have to be a Crower cam, I'm sure that came from a yahoo turbo cam search. I think he liked the price though. I was hoping to go with a hydraulic roller but that might be alittle steep in his eyes. So if I could achieve this build with a flat tappet hydraulic cam that would be great.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the pistons I ordered, Had to change to .030 over, the original build was .060 over. Wiseco forged -3 cc flat tops with a 1.280 compression height. So I sent these and the Scat 6.385 rods and Scat 4.250 stroke crank shaft with a new flywheel and the plate that splines up to the pump / input shaft drive for the TH 400 to the shop to get balanced. I hope to have it back next week. Now comes the light hone and cleaning the block.

·
Just Me
4,078 Posts
I'm confused. If the original build was .060 over how do you expect to make .030 over pistons work?

...After re-reading the first post, are you saying you ditched the original block and went with a different .030 over block or that the original engine the crank, rods and pistons came out of were .060 over and you changing the pistons to fit the old block?

The replacement engines with peanut port heads were used in a lot of boat packages. Hardin Marine used to build those and they ran pretty well. The one in the my jet boat was right at 500 hp on those peanut port heads. But jet boats need torque to get moving not RPM. The boat could never turn over 5500 without a lot more HP but worked great for a mid 50mph family 21' jet boat.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally the build was for his 24 ft Campbell day cruiser, It never had the work done to the hull in the 20 years he's had it. So it was set up for a 496 banks twin turbo build. So parts were bought over the last 5 years. So his new Campbell 20 ft needed some HP help and we decided to use those parts on this build. The .060 block that he has isn't a good one for this build. Has a sleeve in one cylinder and a 2 bolt main ect.
The .030 block has real low hours on it and is a 4 bolt main. Nice Gale Banks v drive oil pan w/tray and the turbo oil drain back fittings in it. That was enough inventive for me to complete this engine.
I'm sure the original 454 that came with the 20 footer could have been massaged into more performance but with the cast pistons and the small heads I wouldn't put the turbo setup with it like that. and I need the room that all these new parts are taking in my shop. The Campbell boats are built like a tank. 4 full stringers and alot of glass. They are heavy and take alot of engine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What sort of boost do you plan? I assume not much with the heavy boat and pump gas?

When I worked for Banks in the late 70's, they used the Engle TC S 7, but as mentioned above, there is better cam technology now. I actually ran a custom ground Crower solid flat tappet cam in my ski race boat, proprietary Richard Lee spec cam. I guess if your customer wants Crower, best to call them and see what they offer. Calculate your static compression, explain that it's a big heavy boat and you need lots of torque since the turbos won't help much on bottom end with no waste gates.

Hey Barry Are you out there?
The water plumbing is driving me nut in this one. Pump to inter cooler out to the ext. logs to carb manifold to the risers and out the exhaust??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts