Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Village Idiot
3,528 Posts
Whirl a way is a great addition for all the right reasons. Th e ultrasonic cleaner will work wonders on them. A thorough overhaul-rebuild on the carbs should be a big help if they were that crusty. Between a carb freshening and a good once over of the ignition should work wonders for a dyno session.
Paul

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Cody,
The Photos of the Barron sprint you posted looks vaguely familur. is there any history of it being in Montana in the 80's?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey Cody,
The Photos of the Barron sprint you posted looks vaguely familur. is there any history of it being in Montana in the 80's?

I have no idea, I have the history of the boat only a few years back and I know it's been in Napa since 2003 at least. Do you have any pictures or anything that would confirm this boat? It would be awesome to find out its the same boat!

Thanks,

Cody

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Little bit of progress made on the boat finally! Nothing huge, but progress is progress I suppose.

I got my seats, throttle pedal,driveshaft and gearbox out of the boat, it had been leaking a little oil and I wanted to know the gear ratio. I have 22% gears, which I think is making me a little nervous because the engine only dyno'd 602 hp 15 years ago or whenever it was built. No telling where it's at now, but I suppose I'll find out in a few months. Now I need to figure out a prop, nothing much on the used market for RH props, so I'll probably wind up sourcing a new one.

I did find a couple of small spots of rot under the passenger seat, where the bracket had been rubbing I think. Not sure what to do on this yet, I don't know how confident I am in my repair skills, may have to take it somewhere and have it fixed.

While the box was out, I decided rather than having everything re-anodized or powder coated, I would polish it. You'd think 5 years of raw aluminum billet wheels on my daily driver would've cured me of wanting anything polished, ever, but apparently not. I did not polish the case, or the flange that holds the driveshaft guard, and I'm already regretting both of those decisions, but I think trying to polish that case may be biting off more than I can chew.

I also got my headers cut down 8" to get rid of the bells, small progress, but it was a huge change looking at the boat.

I got my carb rebuild parts ordered: rebuild kits, HP main bodies, new fuel lines and the Weiand throttle linkage kit. That should be here this week, so I can get started on that.

·
Village Idiot
3,528 Posts
The 22’s are making it a little more difficult to drive and to get it dialed in. A 15 or 18 might make getting it dialed in a little easier. The polishing looks great! I a done with polished cast v-drive cases so I am with you on not polishing them. Last ones we did we had them powder coated. I look forward to hearing great things for you and this boat in 2021.

paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Paul!

I'll look for a trade on the gearing, hopefully not too hard to find RH 10* gears.
Can you educate me as to why these would be harder to deal with, though? Trying to learn everything I can!

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
get a hold of jj beaverfab on here he probably has a set 15 or 18s he also had a trade program..........http://beaverfab.com/6206.html

·
Village Idiot
3,528 Posts
Thanks Paul!

I'll look for a trade on the gearing, hopefully not too hard to find RH 10* gears.
Can you educate me as to why these would be harder to deal with, though? Trying to learn everything I can!
So going with a lower numerical gear will allow the prop to “burn” a little more when you stab the throttle. what that prevents is the prop from getting a hard “bite” and trying to either lift the boat up and out of the water or just manhandle the boat. You will feel the difference right away as well. Also, for this same reason we all try multiple props as some will handle better than others even though they look the same. That little bit of handing difference can make all the difference in the world. One of our boats went from a death trap to a dream to drive just from a prop change. Another time I crashed a perfectly good boat because it did not like the prop we out on it. After getting it back on a trailer and dried out, swapped props and the boat is still happily running today. Also, some boats handle better with more power as it helps the prop to burn a little more. It is like spinning the tires in a car vs. having them bite and do a big wheelie and torquing it to one side.

paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the explanation! Makes complete sense that way. Now, can I run LH gears in the RH box? I've read a bit on it, and it seems like one of those deals no one can agree on.

Mouzer, Thanks for the tip! Once I make a determination on gearing, I'll get in touch with him.

·
Village Idiot
3,528 Posts
I am running left hand gears in my right hand drive boats. In a perfect world we would run right hand, but I know many guys that do it.

Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well it's been a few months! I found some questionable spots on the passenger side stringer of the boat, which really de-motivated me, plus desert riding season and trying to start a new career has taken me away from the boat. The recent 80 degree weather, and having to stare at a glassy lake every afternoon has got me back on it!

I talked to a couple local people I met, everyone agrees the stringer isn't perfect, but no one believes it should stop me from running the boat this year. After all, this is a lake boat, so my OCD will have to take a backseat if my goal of having a running boat every summer is to be realized. I'm just going to take her nice and easy, and re evaluate at the end of the season.

I've gotten the fuel tank brackets as well as the battery box cleaned up, the ultrasonic worked wonders on the rubber coated pieces in no time flat. I also got the mounting rails for the fuel tanks and battery cleaned up and roughly polished. The further I dig into this boat, the more corrosion I'm finding on the aluminum parts. This makes polishing incredibly time consuming, and most of the parts you won't even see, so again my OCD had to take a backseat and realize the main goal is having the boat on the water, not having mirror finishes on everything.

I also managed to get my carbs rebuilt, they sure do look better, but we'll see how my carb tuning skills really are in a month or so. Last night I got the girlfriend to scrub the floors of the boat, while I pulled the Weiand Hi-Ram and fuel filters for cleaning.

The remaining list includes cleaning up the parts currently off the boat, getting new seats, and I need to pull my prop and have it checked out or replaced. With all that done, we'll be able to get on the water this summer a bit, and start making plans and acquiring parts for next winters restoration phases.

It's hard to keep focused, looking at all of the beautiful build threads and boats here and elsewhere, on working with what I have. Sometimes it seems like a massive mountain to climb, sometimes it seems the solution is to buy a finished boat. But when I go back and look at the dates on these build threads, taking years and years to finish, it's motivating to go out and finish up whatever little bit I can. Bit by bit the mountain will turn into a mole hill, and maybe in a few years this will be one of those threads to look back on!

Here are some random photos from the last couple of days!

IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1518.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Boat seats ordered! I bought from a super responsive seller on ebay, they'll be coming from Lake Havasu. Had my heart set on high side circle boat seats, but after talking with a few people, and finding out there was a 2 week or so lead time on the high sides, I pulled the trigger on some traditional 18" fiberglass buckets. I'm a little bummed, not getting high sides, but hopefully i can sit in one sometime this season, and change next winter if I like them.

I got the seat mounts media blasted and re-installed, also got a new Grant steering wheel in. I'm not sure why, but temporarily bolting that wheel in gave me a good bit of motivation!

As of now I'm 15 hours or so in to the massive mistake that is polishing the Hi-Ram. It's not going to be perfect, and it's going to bug me forever, but from 25 feet or so it should be presentable for this year.
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is very cool, the boat looks awesome! and what a survivor! I run that same intake on my day cruiser, and I have had zero issues with it, and yes they are a PITA to keep clean, yours is looking very nice, the castings were not the best back in the day they all had porous spots in them, mine is the same way. that top piece looks mint! Also don't worry about running off the front, as others have said it works well, my Dad has run his Nail head off the front since 63' and its still alive

IMG_1825[1].JPG

TOPLESS 4.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks everyone!

Soectra-Sanger, That nail head looks great! Is the alternator running off the drive hub somewhere? The whole engine on the day cruiser looks fantastic! I know what you mean on the castings, after I got mine all cleaned up, I learned the valley was never polished and is still rough. Really that whole job is too big for me at the moment, I don't think I have all the tools I really need, but I don't know even what I'm missing. I'll have to run it like this for the year, then spend more time on it next winter. At least it will be cleaner than it was, and good from a distance!

I got my fiberglass buckets in, may have made a mistake there. I took them by a shop today, the guy didn't want to upholster them, he basically said there's no way to tighten the vinyl with no way to attach to the bottom of the seats or something. Anyway he quoted me $1000 each seat just for patterns basically, which is what I paid for the boat in the first place.

I'm going to try another shop tomorrow, but I have a feeling it will go much the same way. Any advice on that? I saw the snap in covers from local jet boats (I think) but it's $1100, and not what I want, so I'd eventually have to spend even more to have proper upholstery done.

More progress this weekend, the drive is oiled up and installed, fuel filter painted and back on. Rear rails and battery tray back in and everything greased up. Need to get the plug in it this week and float it on the trailer, make sure I don't have any leaks, then just put the fuel tanks back in, and finish up my intake and we're on the water!

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ya the valley on mine is only polished as far as I could get a pad in side, I have seen them 100% detailed but never took the time to get a small detail pad and work on that. I have been searching for another TR like this to put on my flat, after 26 years of that motor being perfect for me (total cruiser) I figured why not create a head ache :)

On that Nail Head, the alt does run off the drive shaft and sits under the seats, makes it super clean.

I have never run the fiberglass buckets, my ass is too big for them, but I did re rig a friends Sanger a few years ago and built seats for her to replace the glass buckets, the upholstery is held on by snaps, i at the top, two on the sides and two on the bottom. I think that really is the only way to do the glass seats, kind of like a slip cover on a couch.

Your project looks great, I hope you enjoy it as much as our family has enjoyed our boats over the years.

TR 3.jpg

buckets 2 (2).jpg
buckets 3 (2).jpg
buckets 4 (2).jpg
buckets 6.jpg

21 - 38 of 38 Posts