Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this week's Sports Illustrated for a great article on 16 year Basebal Phenom Bryce Harper from Las Vegas HS.

The kid has hit 570' home runs in games, won a HR derby in TB's Tropicana Field that traveled 502' and still going when it hit the back of the domed stadium, averaging 469' per homer in the derby.

Kid can play anywhere but is primarily a catcher. Has a 96 mph fastbal when he pitches. Has tremendous speed, steals bases, and scores from 2nd on passed balls. Bat speed is rated over that of major leaguers. Good size @ 6'-3" and 205 lbs.

Scouts feel he would be a 1 or 2 draft choice right now and he isn't eligible for 2 years yet!

Kid plays over 100 games a year traveling all over the country with club teams. Had a tourney in FL where he went 12 for 12 w/ 11 dingers and a double......

Got a 3.5 gradepoint, strong family backing, and attenjds bible study every morning so he's likely a very clean living kid w/o bad habits.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Are these dingers hit with a wood bat, or aircraft aluminum? No doubt the kids got talent, can he hit a curveball ? :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are these dingers hit with a wood bat, or aircraft aluminum? No doubt the kids got talent, can he hit a curveball ? :)
Aluminum if im not mistaken, He sure can knock the :)st out of the ball though. He's too good to be playing high School ball, they need to move him up to JV College and see how he does. He's also a big kid, what the hell are they feeding kids theses days? Seeme like every other kid is 6ft + at age 15 or 16. Crazy!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Aluminum if im not mistaken, He sure can knock the :)st out of the ball though. He's too good to be playing high School ball, they need to move him up to JV College and see how he does. He's also a big kid, what the hell are they feeding kids theses days? Seeme like every other kid is 6ft + at age 15 or 16. Crazy!!!
I watched the youtube highlight video of him. No reason for college, unless the only pitch he can hit is a fastball. It shows him hitting with wood at the beginning but doesn't show his pop with it. Aluminum or not, 500 feet is power. HIgh school pitching for a kid that developed is a joke, he can pop it up and it goes out when you use aluminum. They grow em' bigger, faster, stronger these days...maybe its the hormones they give chickens and cattle to make them ready for market in 5 months instead of a year ....

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
My two older boys, now age 14, have played in the same travel baseball tournaments, different age groups obviously, as Bryce. The SI article is 100% accurate. Travel Teams paid all of his expenses, sense he was 10, to have him on their rosters. A few years ago we flew back from Florida with him on our plane and a team from Oklahoma had paid for his expenses to come out and play for their team for that week. Watch the you tube videos of him and you will have a hard time believing the kid is only 16..:)Unsure

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per the article he plays in some of the wood bat only leagues for kids hoping to go Pro. With his bat speed it likely doesn't matter

His dad has worked with his hand/eye coordination since the beginning and from what I surmise, his is exceptional. Hand/eye is is the key to hitting breaking stuff and I'd wager this kid is just above average in every respect.

This kid thrives on and has been playing in age groups 2-3-4 yrs older than himself, so he's likely seeing pitchers with good "stuff" and it isn't slowing him a bit.

What the scouts like most is the intensity, effort, and hard work this kid puts into the game. He feeds off any challenge. He's good, he knows he's good, and he isn't content to do anything but get better. From the videosand the scouts' talk, this kid is the real deal.

Hopefuly the SI jinx won't effect him......;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
My two older boys, now age 14, have played in the same travel baseball tournaments, different age groups obviously, as Bryce. The SI article is 100% accurate. Travel Teams paid all of his expenses, sense he was 10, to have him on their rosters. A few years ago we flew back from Florida with him on our plane and a team from Oklahoma had paid for his expenses to come out and play for their team for that week. Watch the you tube videos of him and you will have a hard time believing the kid is only 16..:)Unsure
So he will have to enter the draft out of high school... The NCAA will find some fault in the way he was getting "paid" to play since the age of 10. It doesn't matter though, college baseball would be a waste of time. Might as well enter the draft when he can and get his fat signing bonus. The only thing I dont like about him is the pause in his delivery to second on a steal attempt, big league base stealers will exploit that hitch every chance they get... Nothin a little coaching from Mike Sciosia wouldn't fix :) hint hint

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
The kid definitely has skills. Once he signs pro he most likely will no longer catch. He will be converted to either third or first base. The only thing I see is that he has alot of movement in his swing that at the pro level pitchers will pick apart with off speed pitches and spotting of pitches, but with a few seasons/at bats he will adjust and be just fine. I do not think it is a good idea based on the article to push him into Junior College now. I would let him finish his high school career. The travel ball he plays with the nations top players is pretty darn close to JC baseball. Pro ball is a completely different animal. He is still very young and at the pro level it takes a very high level of maturity (not saying he is not), but also being able to accept and overcome failure something he has not had to deal with yet! Again, he will make it and be successful, but he still has time.

Mike

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
The kid definitely has skills. Once he signs pro he most likely will no longer catch. He will be converted to either third or first base. The only thing I see is that he has alot of movement in his swing that at the pro level pitchers will pick apart with off speed pitches and spotting of pitches, but with a few seasons/at bats he will adjust and be just fine. I do not think it is a good idea based on the article to push him into Junior College now. I would let him finish his high school career. The travel ball he plays with the nations top players is pretty darn close to JC baseball. Pro ball is a completely different animal. He is still very young and at the pro level it takes a very high level of maturity (not saying he is not), but also being able to accept and overcome failure something he has not had to deal with yet! Again, he will make it and be successful, but he still has time.

Mike
And it depends on what team drafts him. Look at Brandon Wood. A H.S phenom who hasn't made it yet.

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
And it depends on what team drafts him. Look at Brandon Wood. A H.S phenom who hasn't made it yet.
Very true...the game changes quick when you have a pitcher spotting
90+mph fastballs with movement and 85+mph sliders. I am impressed though with this kid and his dedication to hard work and the game. I wish him the best and will follow his career now.

·
Islander Trailer Trash#23
1,520 Posts
My son's Varsity team played against LV High School over Spring Break. This kid is the real deal, and that was my impression before I even knew his history. I didn't see him pitch, but he hit the crap out of the ball and he was impressive at 3rd base.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wood's problem is he can't get enough at-bats to figure out big league pitching. He has spurts of brilliance only to go 0 for 5 the next night and be sent back to AAA. Once this year is over, Figgin's contract is up and Wood will get the job and it will be his to lose..

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably nobody will pitch to him and he's hitting bad pitches @ .569....:D

A kid like this has no need for college ball. Go right to the Pros and let 'em work out the bad habits for a couple years in 2AA.....And with Scott Boras workin' for him, he'll be able to buy a college by his 7th year with Steinbrenner money.:)devil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts