Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My biggest issue, is where I want to put a battery or 2 (at the back of my outside sponsons) I only have 10"x8.25", I know I can buy a smaller battery than the one I have, but what about a battery box for a smaller battery? Also if I go to a 2 bat. set up, do I need an isolator, or should I just run them one at a time with a switch??

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
We use automotive high CCA automotive batts ,marine Batts are rated differently and hard to compare but a rip off IMO , My flat has two Red Optimas runs a whole weekend (no Alt) My Eliminator has two Exide 1000 cca auto batts, works Bitchen ;) both boats run a "guest switch" 35 bucks ,1,2,all,off no isolater needed Tom

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. are any of those batteries that small(10" x 8.25")?. Right now my battery is under the pass. seat(pain in the ass). The positive cable is like 70" long. Looking for something different.

·
New here
4,219 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I can tell you what not to get. Rock Racing battery. I have a ton of money in mount and battery but refuse to get the charger that I learned ater, a regular charger wil kill the battery. I was running with no alt and the battery only lived for a year.

Cy

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
We use automotive high CCA automotive batts ,marine Batts are rated differently and hard to compare but a rip off IMO , My flat has two Red Optimas runs a whole weekend (no Alt) My Eliminator has two Exide 1000 cca auto batts, works Bitchen ;) both boats run a "guest switch" 35 bucks ,1,2,all,off no isolater needed Tom
Tom, That is a nice and clean looking set up you have there!

·
Registered
433 Posts
are you looking for starting batteries or something small to run a stereo?

small sealed batteries like this work well for backup (~$30-40)

Dimensions: 5.94 L x 3.86 W x 3.7 H Inches

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty much just a starting battery, although a stereo is on my to do list. Maybe I'll hit Rex up and see if he has a battery box that will fit in an 8.25"x 10" space. As far as the deep cycle thing goes, I asked over on scjb and most said not to go with a deep cycle. I'm not real hip on the whole optima deal either.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts

X2 on this idea .....red top Optimas can be mounted in any way needed to
fit, my last boat had them mounted lying on their side to ease hooking them up, unless your trying to save weight go with two batteries with
the selector switch IMO

I hear Sams has the best price

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Seriously, go to Costco. They are inexpensive there, and last about 5 years or so. Same as just about any other battery I have used in the past.

Darrell.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
I don' thave a picture of one, but in my sandrail i run a small AEM battery, not enough cca for a boat motor, but would be killer for a 2nd battery to run a stereo IMO. I think they're deep cycle, and made by Centennial?? I'm running two Huge batteries in my cruiser, and am thinking of making the second one a little battery like that one for the radio...i think there are even wheelchair batteries like that. I've actually turned over my stock bbo with it no problem though, in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Battery

H2O, I ran a lawn equipment battery (230cca very small, and light weight) in my Daytona. Alt, and no radio. It would fit under the back seat if you run on. The rail kit was long, ran ahead of the engine. I made a holder, and installed it there. Held it up from the bottom. I had a gear reduction starter. I think the standard starters might pull too many amps. I never had any problems. Good luck, schick

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Pretty much just a starting battery, although a stereo is on my to do list. Maybe I'll hit Rex up and see if he has a battery box that will fit in an 8.25"x 10" space. As far as the deep cycle thing goes, I asked over on scjb and most said not to go with a deep cycle. I'm not real hip on the whole optima deal either.
You do NOT want deep cycles for a starting battery.

They are made to deliver 10 to 20 amps to power elec. motors and things for a very long time, not made to output 200 to 300 amps of current to spin a starter motor over fast.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
You do NOT want deep cycles for a starting battery.

They are made to deliver 10 to 20 amps to power elec. motors and things for a very long time, not made to output 200 to 300 amps of current to spin a starter motor over fast.
From OPTIMA's website FAQs:

13. Can a deep cycle battery be used for engine starting?

Yes. If the cranking amps rating is sufficient for your vehicle, there is no reason not to use a deep-cycle battery for starting.
Besides, most - if not all - of their blue top marine batts are listed as "dual purpose", designed for starting and deep cycle.

I agree, however, that a yellow top does not belong in the starting position. Can it? Yes. I see it more times than I should. My main argument is that it is money thrown away. A red top fits the bill most of the time. I have ran them down to nothing several times over and they bounce right back. They won't do that near as many times as a yellow or blue, but they deep cycle just fine.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not doing an optima,(yet) Looks like a series 24 battery will fit the size criteria.....what's that a ricer battery?lol As far as optimas when I watched my nephew's last 1 month that kinda did it for me.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I have friend that use the blue and yellow Optima's, they seem to crap out after two years. I still have my Red Optima from 1995, still starts strong.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I'm not doing an optima,(yet) Looks like a series 24 battery will fit the size criteria.....what's that a ricer battery?lol As far as optimas when I watched my nephew's last 1 month that kinda did it for me.
What did he do wrong? I have not seen one, properly installed and not OVERCHARGED, go less than 7 years. I have watched people cook several of them with 10amp chargers. I have even done a few myself before I figured it out. The first red top installed in my '57 BelAir is still going strong and the highest year "knock outs" for warranty is 1999! It was installed in 1997 and still cranking. The first one I put in my 1998 dually lasted 7 years.

Sure, you can get a bad battery from time to time, just like any other part. But just this weekend, I saw a friend's 6-month old Interstate top of the line flooded battery leaking from the positive terminal. Already started eating the cable. I had told them to get an Optima before spending a dime on any flooded battery, but they wouldn't listen. I've tried them all and I am DONE with flooded batts. You couldn't give me one.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
So what is it red, yellow, or Blue tops???? Rex advised me of blue when I was there but there seems to be some varying opinions. Who's right?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
So what is it red, yellow, or Blue tops???? Rex advised me of blue when I was there but there seems to be some varying opinions. Who's right?
Reds are standard "car" batteries. Cars, pickups, etc.

Yellows are "car" deep-cycles; usually in trunks for stereos, hydraulics, etc.

Blues are all marine. Starting, deep cycle, and dual purpose (start/deep). Marine blue tops have more vibration/shock resistance for rough water and towing (bumps and bouncing).

This site has all the info and models you could ever desire:
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts