Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wants your opinion for the best battery on the market for a boat.
Just install a stereo and dont wanna be cought dead on the river.
Running 2 batteries with a battery selector switch was thinking 3-4 batteries,
float alot down river listening to the stereo and would hate to get stuck down
in BR or lost lake from BWL.

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
I use just 1 blue top optima... deep cycle, not starting, and have never had a problem powering a sub & small system all day.

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
I have two batts and run a switch. I also have a jumper box under the hatch.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I run a 27 series Duralast battery. Power a 600 watt amp and two 6's all day no issue. I even bought a priority start and have yet to make it trip

http://www.prioritystart.com/store.html

You can see it on the bottom left on my battery box. I would think as long as you ran your wiring propery you would be hard pressed to drain a battery like that with just a small head unit and a reasonable amp. YMMV

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
have a buddy that runs two batt's with a switch then one HUGE battery that looks like 3 batterys put together in his daytona thats isolated. hes got a huge system in the thing and that one batt will last all weekend. puts it on a charger before the next trip out and off and running again plus if the huge batt goes dead he can run off the 2 on the switch still.

·
Registered
692 Posts
have a buddy that runs two batt's with a switch then one HUGE battery that looks like 3 batterys put together in his daytona thats isolated. hes got a huge system in the thing and that one batt will last all weekend. puts it on a charger before the next trip out and off and running again plus if the huge batt goes dead he can run off the 2 on the switch still.

Does he tow the huge battery behind on a tube or what?:)sphss Those semi units aren't heavy!

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are many good ones and I am a battery slut. I have four m-30's in mine. I have two Sears AGM's and a 12 year old Interstate gel-cell for my trolling motor batteries. I have a conventional lead/acid WalMart battery for my crank / accessory battery. The lead/acid conventional out-perform the others initially and are cheaper. Each type has different charging requirements and may have a shortened life if hooked to the wrong charger. I like the Sears ones best, but they were $240 each. They have more capacity than the Optimas. I've had 3 or 4 Optimas but did not like them as much as the Sears ones. I had two Optimas fail early. I also have an inboard charge on the fly Stealth Charger system. Maximum juice always for fishing below dams in whitewater areas. Bring a volt meter to the store and buy the one with the highest voltage and learn to crack the date codes for the freshest battery. Common to see batteries on the shelf for 6-12 months.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
As for the suggestion, I was gonna say - any of the AGMs. I go with Optima, as they are affordable and the only one I have had go bad - I overcharged it and cooked it.

I have one that is over 10 years old and still going.

I didn't know Sears had an AGM? Sounds nifty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts