Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many batteries are you guys running? I don't have a stereo or any other power hungry equipment, except the starter, so I think I can get by with only 1 battery for now. I don't really have the money right now for another battery and a battery box, so if I can get by with only one, then I will. But if not, then I will save up my pennies and get another battery and battery box.

Thank you.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
How many batteries are you guys running? I don't have a stereo or any other power hungry equipment, except the starter, so I think I can get by with only 1 battery for now. I don't really have the money right now for another battery and a battery box, so if I can get by with only one, then I will. But if not, then I will save up my pennies and get another battery and battery box.

Thank you.
HJ

I only have the starter as well and only have one battery. I've thought about trying out an odyssey once my optima gives up.

You should be more than fine with one

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HJ

I only have the starter as well and only have one battery. I've thought about trying out an odyssey once my optima gives up.

You should be more than fine with one
Odyssey's are the dry cell ones, right?

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Odyssey's are the dry cell ones, right?

I'm pretty sure, they're also about half the size of the optima. A friend of mine runs an odyssey on his sand car and never had a problem. Its only used to start the car and his optima runs the stereo.
Curious to know if anybody is running the odyssey in a jet application. Maybe someone will chime in.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure, they're also about half the size of the optima. A friend of mine runs an odyssey on his sand car and never had a problem. Its only used to start the car and his optima runs the stereo.
Curious to know if anybody is running the odyssey in a jet application. Maybe someone will chime in.
They'd probably work really well in a jet boat because they're a dry cell they're not affected at all by all the bouncing around associated with boating. Plus they provide lots of cranking amps to throw at that starter to get that high compression engine started.:D

Hell, for the price I'd run them the other way around. Flipped through the Summit Catalog, 860 amp Odyssey=$208 vs. 750 amp Optima=$200. And for the engine starter you could go with the 1,055 amp Odyssey=$302 or the 1,125 amp Optima=$250.

I would run the stereo off the Odyssey 860 amp and the engine off the Optima 1,125 amp, but that might not work because the Optima 1,125 isn't a deep cycle.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
They'd probably work really well in a jet boat because they're a dry cell they're not affected at all by all the bouncing around associated with boating. Plus they provide lots of cranking amps to throw at that starter to get that high compression engine started.:D

You left out one important thing

Weight :)devil

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
One battery, WITH a stereo.

No, no 500watt amp, only 4 speakers, no subwoofer, just a stereo.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Bought one of those yellow & black RV/Marine deep cycle batteries from Wal-Mart 4 years ago & never looked back..... Never been disconnected or on a charger either.... About the best $60-$65 bucks I've spent on the boat, other than gas & beer. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bought one of those yellow & black RV/Marine deep cycle batteries from Wal-Mart 4 years ago & never looked back..... Never been disconnected or on a charger either.... About the best $60-$65 bucks I've spent on the boat, other than gas & beer. :D
Diddo .One battery :)

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
ive been running the small odyssey batteries for a few years now. no problems at all cranking over my engine with a mini starter. but i dont have a stereo either.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
ive been running the small odyssey batteries for a few years now. no problems at all cranking over my engine with a mini starter. but i dont have a stereo either.

Thats good to know. I don't have a stereo either so all its doing is kickin the starter. Once my blue top takes a dump I think I'm going to try one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are the odysseys supposed to be the latest thing around?? Are they a better battery than the Optima?? I only have one Red Top for 2 years now and no problems, and I keep the same one in the truck just incase I need to swap one out to the other. Just a good Idea thought.

If the Odyssey is a better battery by far I just might make the change to be on the safe side. I wouldn't like the feeling of being down river and wouldn't be able to fire.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So heres an idea. Since we are all out in the sun all day. You think making an air scoop out of Solar Panel matterial would be a help. You could run your stereo all day and never have to worry about if your gonna start when you gotta get back to the docks. You also wouldn't have to have 2 or more batteries in your boat making more weight.

If you all think this idea will work, let me know and I will get started on one right away.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So heres an idea. Since we are all out in the sun all day. You think making an air scoop out of Solar Panel matterial would be a help. You could run your stereo all day and never have to worry about if your gonna start when you gotta get back to the docks. You also wouldn't have to have 2 or more batteries in your boat making more weight.

If you all think this idea will work, let me know and I will get started on one right away.
Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work! Sounds like a lot of work though, and might be pretty expensive.:D

·
Registered
911 Posts
I run a blue top optima. Interested in the Optima, but they aren't cheap and aren't compatible with my battery box.

There are alot of guys running with out an alternator; they use small solar panels with aligator clips to trickle charge while beached or floating.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts