Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing some help with choosing a battery...not sure if this should be asked here or in the dyno section. I am plannin on putting my battery under the back seat in the boat I am building. Question is, what is the minimum cranking amps I need? I'm runnin a 13:1 505 bbc, msd digital 6, and a summit brand gear reduction starter. Any ideas on the amps or where to find a battery to fit under the back seat?

·
Broke Member
387 Posts
For Optimas here are your choices:

Red Tops: (Starting Purpose Batteries)

Optima RedTop Specs - Red Top AGM Batteries by Optima

Blue Tops: (Dual Purpose Starting & Deep Cycle)

Optima BlueTop Specs - Deep Cycle Blue Top Battery Specifications by Optima
We have had Optimas in our boats for as long as I can remember so I went to Batteries Plus the other day to check the pricing on a new one and I was told that the quality of the Optima batteries have decreased dramatically. Apparently they have outsourced to Mexico and everything went downhill from there. Supposedly they have just about every other customer return their optima. Keep in mind this was one person telling me this and I have not done any research of my own on this yet. The brand that they did recommend though was NorthStar. From what I have found so far they seem to make a good battery.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I am not an optima fan.....gonna be lots of opinions probably here. As far as what I know...or think I know is that a real high cranking amp battery will likely have a shorter life from more plates exposed...seems like they are less durable also...dont quote me there though. I was told a typical deep cycle/rv battery isnt the greatest for cranking. Napa sell a marine battery that supposedly is "somewhat" deep cycle....or maybe deeper cycle is a better term. :)sphss

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have asked the question wrong. I have had optimas in my last 2 boats, but I don't want a big or regular sized battery. I have seen odysseys that are for motorcycles I guess, but have like 680 crankin amps, I'm just wonderin is or will that also work on a motor like mine? Lookin for a compact battery that I can hide easily under the back seat.

·
New here
4,219 Posts

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
I went with two marine 29 size batts from walmart been in since 08. About 75 bucks each. Had a red top in my 56 and the first time it went dead.....No more red top. I tried a yellow top and it lasted 6 months or so....Had good luck with the batt from walmart in the boat and now have one in the 56 for the last two years....

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I went with two marine 29 size batts from walmart been in since 08. About 75 bucks each. Had a red top in my 56 and the first time it went dead.....No more red top. I tried a yellow top and it lasted 6 months or so....Had good luck with the batt from walmart in the boat and now have one in the 56 for the last two years....
Most of the reason for Optima failure (or any battery, for that matter) is operator error. I now have 32 Optimas in use. The oldest is from 1998 and is still powering my '57 2dr HT. The CTEK maintainers are the only way to fly.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
I have had several cars and have went through a few batteries....the shortest lived ones were the optima. I have several stereo accounts and they tell me the same..... optima suck! But you may get lucky and buy the one that wasnt made by a 3 year old in china.....I keep all my batts on maintainers/chargers.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I have had several cars and have went through a few batteries....the shortest lived ones were the optima. I have several stereo accounts and they tell me the same..... optima suck! But you may get lucky and buy the one that wasnt made by a 3 year old in china.....I keep all my batts on maintainers/chargers.
I beg to differ. I'll agree that there are BETTER batts than Optima. Ops are just easy to get and affordable. I pay $149 for reds shipped to my door with no tax.

I wouldn't have 32 of them if they didn't work. They definitely don't suck. FLOODED batteries SUCK. Drippy, smelly, and they have to be kept from tipping over. WHEN they leak, and they all will, they start to kill cables and battery trays. No thank you.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Odyssey PC925
Plenty of cranking amps. Fires my 15:1 big block no problem.
Small and fairly light too. Been using one for several years now.

If your ignition has a start retard function that will help a lot.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Odyssey PC925
Plenty of cranking amps. Fires my 15:1 big block no problem.
Small and fairly light too. Been using one for several years now.

If your ignition has a start retard function that will help a lot.
Now we are getting somewhere. I wasn't asking which brand battery I need but rather what cranking amps would it take to successfully turn over my 505. I am gonna run a digital 6 msd which has a built in start retard, don't recall if its 10 or 20 deg.

Cyclone, how long has the odyssey lasted so far?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Two thumbs down for Odyssey's. I've had two failures in the drag boat and one in my truck. The mfg. replaced all for free under warranty from bad cells them claimed.

I use Braille batteries now. I use a B3121 for the race boat and a larger one for the cruiser.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere. I wasn't asking which brand battery I need but rather what cranking amps would it take to successfully turn over my 505. I am gonna run a digital 6 msd which has a built in start retard, don't recall if its 10 or 20 deg.

Cyclone, how long has the odyssey lasted so far?
the last PC925 was in my boat for two years before i switched it out. That's two years at the track and at the river. The one before that was ran for a couple of years and then became a spare that I loaned out. As far as I know its still in use. Neither one failed. They were simply replaced and became spares. I dont know why others have failures with Odysseys. Personally, mine are put on maintenance chargers between races and river trips and are mounted with a 3/8 thick piece of rubber mat beneath them to damp the vibration. Not sure if it helps but I beel better about it.

If that battery will fire my engine it will surely fire yours.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I don't know for sure what the CCA is on a blue top, but it starts our 454 for 3 years now with minimal trickle maintenance.
( much lower compression then yours though)
I want to say it is 850 CCA??

It is not the start only model, but the "other" one.

A little thread jack here:

I have lost faith in the Optimas overall.
I recently put a red top in the 'vette that is working very well over the last 8-10 months or so, and the blue in the boat has been flawless.
BUT, I have had 2 yellows and a red fail miserably within the last 5 years.
I tried some other non- flooded types and brands to no avail.

To me, having to keep a trickle on a high dollar battery seems to not really go hand in hand with high dollar/ quality.

I used to ignore my optimas years ago and they never failed. Now they are a crap shoot. What the hell good is it if I can't leave a car sit for 3 weeks in an airport parking lot with out the damned thing dying?

Anyway, I recently put a Die Hard Platinum in my Tacoma work truck last summer.
IT has sat for up to 4 weeks in snow and sub-zero weather in Colorado airports and starts like the day it was new.

I am seriously thinking of trying them in some other applications like boats etc., but haven't looked at the CCA specs or what deep cycles are available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ran an Odyssey pc925 in my riverboat for the last 3 seasons. First 2 seasons it worked great, last season it started loosing power and failed to start my 1.9l diesel several times. Just ordered a Braille B3121, will try that for a while and see how it works. Looks better on paper than the Odyssey, supposed to have more power and less weight. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
i dont waste mu money on optima or other gell cell batts Got me a wall mart group 24 for my boat 7 years ago.It still fires my boat up although i may replace this year anyways cause funds temporarily allow.

I do use a maintainer on it once a month to top it off.Never leave on constantly usually overnight is good enough.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
i dont waste mu money on optima or other gell cell batts Got me a wall mart group 24 for my boat 7 years ago.It still fires my boat up although i may replace this year anyways cause funds temporarily allow.

I do use a maintainer on it once a month to top it off.Never leave on constantly usually overnight is good enough.
I didn't know Optima made gel batteries? Is that a new one? Them and Odyssey are AGM, as far as I know - which are still acid - not gel.

I don't consider it wasting money, since the first one I bought is from 1998 and still going. I would have put 4 for 5 flooded batteries in there since then - which would be way over what I paid for the red top. Plus, alot of my cars that they are in have battery trays that are worth three times what the Optima cost. So, it's peace of mind that there will never be any acid touching any part of the car(s). Or, the inside of my boat, for that matter. You can mount AGMs on their sides or up-side-down, if you wish. Try THAT with a WalMart batt.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts