Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Battery switch ????

I am installing a battery kill switch due to something draining the battery over 3-4 days. My question can I install the kill switch on the ground, should work my guess. My gound goes from battery to the block and would be a easy and clean install for the switch. What do you guys think, will this work or just spend the time and do the hot wire? And I know just unhook the hot wire from the battery when not in use, problem i'm lazy and its hard to get to. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am installing a battery kill switch due to something draining the battery over 3-4 days. My question can I install the kill switch on the ground, should work my guess. My gound goes from battery to the block and would be a easy and clean install for the switch. What do you guys think, will this work or just spend the time and do the hot wire? And I know just unhook the hot wire from the battery when not in use, problem i'm lazy and its hard to get to. Thanks
It would be better if you hooked the switch to the hot side on the battery. Bad grounds are one of the most common electrical problems with boats. If the switch goes bad or starts to corrode it can drive you nuts before you find it.

Have you checked your alternator? I had one leaking through on my old jetboat and it would drain the battery in two days. I installed a diode to stop the leakage. worked fine. If you can reach the alternator leads easily just pull the clips off and it will keep it from draining the battery..Just remember to reattach them each time you go boating.
kojac

·
128 Posts
There is no difference in putting it on the ground side vs. the hot side. If you really wan to get technical, the electricity comes out of the negative side, works it's magic, and goes back to the battery through the positive side. Putting the switch on the negative wire will accomplish the same results. Spray a corrosion inhibitor on the posts and you will be good for a while.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I thought it wouldn't matter what side +/- just wanted to check. Going to install the switch tonight, told the wife it should take me and the guys at least 3-4hrs to complete the job right. I was only kidding but she cooked chicken and bought a 30pk for tonight, I was floored!!! Hope she doesn't get pissed when I'm done in 30 min and sitten around getting drunk with the guys lol.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought it wouldn't matter what side +/- just wanted to check. Going to install the switch tonight, told the wife it should take me and the guys at least 3-4hrs to complete the job right. I was only kidding but she cooked chicken and bought a 30pk for tonight, I was floored!!! Hope she doesn't get pissed when I'm done in 30 min and sitten around getting drunk with the guys lol.
:)devil Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Here is my .02c on switching the ground, make sure you only have one wire staright from the battery to the block, If it were me I would try to figure out what the draw is....

If you take a 12V test light (not the new LED ones) and remove the negative cable (can do positive too if you want) then put the test light between the battery post and the cable, if the light glows, you have a draw, period, end of story, now just keep disconnecting stuff until the light goes out.

Once the light goes out that is your draw, I would be willing to bet the alternator is either bad or wired incorrectly.. :)bulb

GT

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
840 Posts
Switch

I put one of these in 2 years ago..on the ground side. The one I put in looks similar to this one except it has 2 ends instead of a battery lug end. Mounted it by my engine so I could turn off the ground without getting to the battery because my battery is under a seat. No problems so far..I had a small discharge from the battery I could not find..just turn the knob a few times.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
best way to troubleshoot power drains:

1. disconnect positive (+) cable
2. connect multi-meter (MM) between +cable and +battery post.
3. if you have a fuse block, start pulling fuses, when you see the power drain on the MM disappear, that's the device with the problem. check grounds, connections & functionality. if you dont have a fuse block, start disconnecting everything from your PDU (power dist. unit) block, when the drain goes away, there's your problem.
4. fix drain

:)hand

edit:

oh yeah, if you have a CD player, it's very common for them to run when you power them off if there is a CD loaded.

·
Registered
329 Posts
/

Here is my .02c on switching the ground, make sure you only have one wire staright from the battery to the block, If it were me I would try to figure out what the draw is....

If you take a 12V test light (not the new LED ones) and remove the negative cable (can do positive too if you want) then put the test light between the battery post and the cable, if the light glows, you have a draw, period, end of story, now just keep disconnecting stuff until the light goes out.

Once the light goes out that is your draw, I would be willing to bet the alternator is either bad or wired incorrectly.. :)bulb

GT
x2 fix it right:|err trust me you don't want to get stranded on the wrong side of the water(if your lazy) you will sleep better too.:)devil edit a draw could all so be a sign of a upcoming failure that could be a safety prob. short or worse yet wiring fire $$$$$ IMO fix it right good luck

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Wouldn't attaching the battery disconnect to the negative side defeat the purpose if it is possibly a short or grounding out problem?
Not if there is no ground, we were talking breaking one wire at the battery, right? It should work.

GT :)hand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.