Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is chris and i have a 1974 chevy 454 with a 4 bolt main that i will be putting into a 21 foot schiada river cruiser v drive . i have built many engins before but this will be my first venture in v8 i used to haave a sandrail that had a vw in it . i would like to get around 900 hp out of it .so pretty much what i would like to know is how would u guys do it i have about ten g to spend on it . i am open to turbo and blower options whaat brand of parts would u use cam lift head size u know all that good stuff thank you very much in advance for your time and help have a great day .

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
hi my name is chris and i have a 1974 chevy 454 with a 4 bolt main that i will be putting into a 21 foot schiada river cruiser v drive . i have built many engins before but this will be my first venture in v8 i used to haave a sandrail that had a vw in it . i would like to get around 900 hp out of it .so pretty much what i would like to know is how would u guys do it i have about ten g to spend on it . i am open to turbo and blower options whaat brand of parts would u use cam lift head size u know all that good stuff thank you very much in advance for your time and help have a great day .
Hey man, I was in SB today. I'm just up the road in Nipomo.:)hand
Sent you a PM. I'd do a 489/496, some AFR 325's, a 1071 with a pair of 850's and intercooler and a good solid roller. You should be close on pump gas, but you might need a few more $$. A 900hp Mk IV big block needs some good parts to live, especially in the valve train. Displacement is your friend and unfortunately because of the bore limitations of the Mk IV you'll need either more boost, or more rpm for that "extra displacement".

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Hey man, I was in SB today. I'm just up the road in Nipomo.:)hand
Sent you a PM. I'd do a 489/496, some AFR 325's, a 1071 with a pair of 850's and intercooler and a good solid roller. You should be close on pump gas, but you might need a few more $$. A 900hp Mk IV big block needs some good parts to live, especially in the valve train. Displacement is your friend and unfortunately because of the bore limitations of the Mk IV you'll need either more boost, or more rpm for that "extra displacement".

Well Said.......:thumb:

·
524 Posts
Sorry for the bad news, $10,000 will barely put the top end together, you'll needs about 5,000 more to complete the project, using quality parts.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
My gut tells me it will require more boost than pump can withstand, or more RPM than any recreational cruiser should spin. Even with a 496 stroker, thats a tough bill to fill. Maybe a turbo deal MAYBE. Doable on E85. But a pump gas rootes or centrif deal. I doubt it. JMO
Just because the engine can run 7000 doesn't mean it has to all the time. Not everything runs at WOT it's whole life. :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Sorry for the bad news, $10,000 will barely put the top end together, you'll needs about 5,000 more to complete the project, using quality parts.
Unfortunately, true. A decent blower-ready longblock is near 8K in parts using a cutomer's block. Add machining and assembly labor and there goes your 10K plus some. Then add everything above the heads.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Unfortunately, true. A decent blower-ready longblock is near 8K in parts using a cutomer's block. Add machining and assembly labor and there goes your 10K plus some. Then add everything above the heads.

True That. And thats to get close to the 800 HP Pump gas Range.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Spray it.

650 hp from a 454 will typically require race gas and be halfway easy to make that hp, plus 250hp can be bought relatively cheap in bottle form.

Just a thought while mentally trying to stay in that budget.

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Spray it.

650 hp from a 454 will typically require race gas and be halfway easy to make that hp, plus 250hp can be bought relatively cheap in bottle form.

Just a thought while mentally trying to stay in that budget.
Yep. That's how mine is set up. Race gas & nitrous. 67x on motor, 96x on the bottle. A good bottom end and decent heads/cam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts