Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the weight from the flexplate seems to be touching my motor plate . Can i just flip the flexplate around and put the weight to the outside?

I dont even know if i have the right flexplate for my engine, i bought it off Craigslist and it came with no flexplate.....

I will post a pic or two to give you a better example of what im talking about:D

2sav:)devil

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My set up

It hits

you can see the clearance, but when i bring it around it hits the plate... Im starting to wonder if maybe its just warped.

2sav

·
Registered
41 Posts
"NO" Just get a 4" grinder and clean off a little on the engine plate "or" take it and have someone mill it down a little ;)
I would mill it but if your short on money you can just clearance it With a hand grinder.
"OR" get a jigsaw and cut off the extra off the engine plate

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
the weight from the flexplate seems to be touching my motor plate . Can i just flip the flexplate around and put the weight to the outside?

I dont even know if i have the right flexplate for my engine, i bought it off Craigslist and it came with no flexplate.....

I will post a pic or two to give you a better example of what im talking about:D

2sav:)devil
I looked at my flexplate and it appears to me that it can't be flipped around because I don't think it will line up with the starter correctly.

I'm not sure if BBC flexplates have different bolt patterns or not but I am sure that the 454 is externally balanced and the others (396, 427) are internally balanced. I think you at least need to make sure you have a flexplate for a 454. I am also not sure if 396/427 flexplates have a weight on them or not.

Wow, that is a lot of help. :)sphss At the very least I need to go look at my BBC to see if I can install the engine mount plate after the flexplate is installed. :)st

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at my flexplate and it appears to me that it can't be flipped around because I don't think it will line up with the starter correctly.

I'm not sure if BBC flexplates have different bolt patterns or not but I am sure that the 454 is externally balanced and the others (396, 427) are internally balanced. I think you at least need to make sure you have a flexplate for a 454. I am also not sure if 396/427 flexplates have a weight on them or not.

Wow, that is a lot of help. :)sphss At the very least I need to go look at my BBC to see if I can install the engine mount plate after the flexplate is installed. :)st

I think its the flexplate i got from Riverdad with that "468" that was really a 396 .060 I think.... Remember that one Rod?

I think maybe i should just buy a new one, this set up has been run before with no grinding on the plate for clearance. I think that will be my last resort:D

2sav

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I think its the flexplate i got from Riverdad with that "468" that was really a 396 .060 I think.... Remember that one Rod?

I think maybe i should just buy a new one, this set up has been run before with no grinding on the plate for clearance. I think that will be my last resort:D

2sav
Do not use a 396 flex plate on a 454. Internal vs external balancing.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do not use a 396 flex plate on a 454. Internal vs external balancing.

Yeah, i know... I just dont remember if it was or not..........Went thru alot of BBC's recently and got some parts spread out, I think im better off buying a scat flexplate and be done with it:D

This way i know for sure.........

2sav

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Yeah, i know... I just dont remember if it was or not..........Went thru alot of BBC's recently and got some parts spread out, I think im better off buying a scat flexplate and be done with it:D

This way i know for sure.........

2sav
I couldnt even tell you by looking at them either. Not totaly up on it but I would also think that a plate like tci or something might not flex as much aswell. (no converter holding it straight) Is this even a factor on something like this?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I couldnt even tell you by looking at them either. Not totaly up on it but I would also think that a plate like tci or something might not flex as much aswell. (no converter holding it straight) Is this even a factor on something like this?

I was wondering if i had enough clearance , because there has to be some type of flexing at high rpm's?

Dont really know, im putting a puzzle together that somebody else took apart.
2sav

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I was wondering if i had enough clearance , because there has to be some type of flexing at high rpm's?

Dont really know, im putting a puzzle together that somebody else took apart.
2sav
I was more thinkin when the starter hits it that it might crack where it meets the crank. Again I am not sure.

·
Some guy
3,631 Posts
My set up
It looks like it's possible you have the flexplate on backwards. If I am not wrong, I can see the outline from where the crank was against the flexplate previous. Pull the adapter off, and get a good look at the center. Most flexplates have a slight flange that faces away from the engine. A 396/427 flexplate will have no counter weight, a 454 will (but also a 400 sbc flexplate will as well, that is not correct for a 454). By the above photo, I would guess that flexplate was against a cast BBC crank.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like it's possible you have the flexplate on backwards. If I am not wrong, I can see the outline from where the crank was against the flexplate previous. Pull the adapter off, and get a good look at the center. Most flexplates have a slight flange that faces away from the engine. A 396/427 flexplate will have no counter weight, a 454 will (but also a 400 sbc flexplate will as well, that is not correct for a 454). By the above photo, I would guess that flexplate was against a cast BBC crank.

Well it has the counter weight, but no telling its for the 454.... I dont beleive its on backwards, the weight is on the inside just like a car would be........ I have another one Pw_Tony gave me, but i think its a little warped. I just checked it on my bench... $50 bucks for a new flexplate aint to bad, as long as it fixes the problem:D

2sav

1 - 20 of 25 Posts