Performance Boats Forum banner

BBC after market heads

Tags
heads market
11K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  cstraub 
#1 ·
Does anyone manufacture a standard height port ( non raised) exhaust port. I am mainly thinking aluminum. We recently lost a motor that was running rectangular ports and due to the thru transom exhaust I can't run anything raised. Any thoughts or ideas.

#5 ·
Scott thanks for chiming in. Here is the info on the engine that was installed. The new one will be pretty close going back together. Give me your thoughts on things. I never really ran it all the way out but it seemed to have plenty of power to pull the 29 gear in the vdrive.

Standard bore 454
rectangular port GM heads
cam solid flat tappet
Water cooled twin turbo draw thru
Custom Hogan welded manifold
1100 dominator carb
dry water jacketed exhaust thru transom
16 lbs boost
not quite sure on where it spun to before but would like 6600 or so on the new one
turbo 400
22 Schiada Day cruiser vdrive

#9 ·
The Edelbrock heads will be a bolt on replacement to the heads you took off. The ports and chambers will be a newer upgraded design of course. Also the exhaust ports on the performer RPM and Marine style heads are in the factory location.
I prefer the Edelbrock over Brodix because their castings are much nicer and I believe to be stronger.
I also had a buddy of mine take off his iron GM heads on his old school twin turbo 20' Schiada. He made more power with less boost when using the Edelbrock Marine heads.

He used the Edelbrock 61555 heads.
Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Chevrolet - Marine- Performer RPM - Edelbrock, LLC.

If you dont want the Marine specific heads you can run the standard Performer RPM heads part # 60555
Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Chevrolet - Big-Block - Rectangle Port - Performer RPM - Edelbrock, LLC.

#10 ·
The Edelbrock heads will be a bolt on replacement to the heads you took off. The ports and chambers will be a newer upgraded design of course. Also the exhaust ports on the performer RPM and Marine style heads are in the factory location.
I prefer the Edelbrock over Brodix because their castings are much nicer and I believe to be stronger.
I also had a buddy of mine take off his iron GM heads on his old school twin turbo 20' Schiada. He made more power with less boost when using the Edelbrock Marine heads.

He used the Edelbrock 61555 heads.
Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Chevrolet - Marine- Performer RPM - Edelbrock, LLC.

If you dont want the Marine specific heads you can run the standard Performer RPM heads part # 60555
Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Chevrolet - Big-Block - Rectangle Port - Performer RPM - Edelbrock, LLC.
The Edelbrock heads are in no way stronger than the Brodix and I disagree that the castings are nicer. The ports and chambers of the Edebrock heads are barely an improvement over the original GM castings and in fact, the Edelbrock Roval head is the casting for the GM head. The Brodix rect port head is light years ahead of the GM head in every aspect, especially with a CNC chamber...but of course, that part is JMO. ;)

#14 ·
Well it appears you build very nice stuff and are well educated. I know that we at Edelbrock have always ran the products we manufacture on our dyno's and flow benches against competitors. Brodix being one of them. With all of our tests we seem to always be right there with them if not better.

Those Edelbrock heads you ported look like they turned out nice. The flow numbers are impressive as well. What bench did you use for flow testing? We appreciate the business and hope you will use more of our products.

You say the aluminum is better in a Brodix head. The aluminum we are using in every Edelbrock head is A-356 and heat treated to T6 specifications. The race heads are now HIpped which as I am sure you know make them very strong. We have been told numerous times by reputable head porters they are similar to billet.
I honestly cannot remember Edelbrock having issues with soft heads, seats and guides moving. Maybe we did a long time ago and then built our own foundry so we could control the quality of the castings.

Now you mention that any head patterned after the original GM casting is going to have rocker boss issues and possibly break them. I agree those can break but the only time we have seen this with our heads (and it is very rare) is when someone used our street type head in a race application. The Edelbrock street style head is not designed for high lift/Race applications and when used in such a way can do something like coil bind the spring and cause the rocker bosses (among other things) to break. Besides those instances honestly we don't really have that issue. (To my knowledge)
We also send our heads to Jesel and T&D so they have rocker assemblies readily available. I am sure you agree a shaft style rocker assembly is truly the right way to setup your high HP valve train.

Regarding our foundries yes we do castings for other manufacturers. AFR being one of many. They all came to use because they feel we have the best castings on the market and can solve allot of issues they are having with their current foundries. We use our same casting techniques in their heads as we do ours.

I agree AFR makes very nice cylinder heads. Those are always an excellent choice. I will have to politely disagree with you saying that their heads are a world away from ours. I do know that our heads test right with theirs.

As I stated before, We appreciate the business and hope you will use more of our Edelbrock products.

Again, This is JMO

#16 ·
Thanks for your response and compliments. Flow numbers are off a SF600.

Curious how long have you been with Edelbrock? The "soft" issues, at least with the 24* BB Chev heads, go back several years and are pretty well known among most of the engine builders and head porters I know or talk to. That's why they had to come up with the HIP process...something no one else seems to feel the need to offer. Just saying...

I don't recommend shaft systems for anything but all out race apps. IMO it's not necessary, especially with hyd rollers. A quality stud mount rocker with a girdle and proper geometry is a very solid, reliable valve train. I did a 532 BBC, pump gas, .768 hyd roller that went 7800 on the dyno with no issues, stud mounts and girdles. If it was a solid roller I would have recommended shafts.

I use Edelbrock intakes almost exclusively and...btw... since I have you on the line... ;)

As far as the OP's question, I'd still go with the Brodix...no offense. I'll also throw this at you since you're representing Edelbrock and this is a marine forum...food for thought; the hard anno option for any marine cylinder head is almost a complete waste of time and I never recommend it to a customer. IMO it's a waste of money. The main corrosion problem I see in marine engines occurs between the deck and block or intake and head, around the water passages. Brackish or salt water will seep between the gasket(s) and head/intake/block surfaces and corrode the deck of the heads. It doesn't take a lot of corrosion there to damage a set of otherwise perfectly good heads to the point of needing welding. You can hard anno a head till the cows come home but once you surface/machine the heads, IMO it's a waste of time. I agree that internally, the anno helps but very seldom is there a problem internally in the water jackets that will render a head useless. IMO, for hard anno th be effective and worth the extra cost, the heads need to be fully machined, anno'd, then assembled with seats and guides, valve job'd, etc. Again, just food for thought. :thumb:

#18 ·
To all that have provided info. Thank you. I never anticipated this to be a thread of who is better. I appreciate all the info that has been provided. It will definitely benefit the build I am doing. Scott it is always nice to see you around here. You have been pretty quiet since ol GN7 passed. I will call Chris on Monday and see where things go.
Thanks again to all.
John

#20 · (Edited)
Hey Scott,
I am going to take the high road here and we are simply going to have to agree to disagree. I agree with some of the comments you mention above and some of the other comments I do not agree with. No worries at all as everyone is allowed their own opinion.
I see you guys at Straub Technologies promote Edelbrock on your website and we do appreciate that. We hope you will continue to do so and keep using our product. If there is anything I can help you with regarding our products please let me know.
Thanks
Troy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.