1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cruising the net the other night, looking at ad's on RJ, when I came
across a Herbert ad for a roller cam, and it stated " can be used with solid
or hyd. roller lifters" Sounds a little strange to me, wouldn't that cam be a
little lazy with solid lifters then? would seem to me that the ramp aceleration rates would have to be pretty soft, to allow it to work w/ the
hyd rollers. and when solids were run, can't really see that it would be optimum for a solid app. anybody have any thoughts on this? -C.S. maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Hyd roller lobe on a billet shaft or a typo. To use the solid rollers you would have a lite lash setting.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
You might be surprised at how quick the ramp is on some hydraulic roller lobes.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured the lash part, but how could the actual profile be suited for both
lifter apps? (it's not a typo, check it out) ad in the camshaft section of
racing junk.com. (and where would you start w/lash if you did try to do
this?) NOT that I would even consider it, in fact, I plan on getting with you on camshaft selection for my whippled 509 soon! was looking for
specs , got a message back from [email protected] whipple, the cam he suggested
seems kinda big (240/[email protected])I really don't think that fits in the 2000-6000 range I am shooting for,

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
this?) NOT that I would even consider it, in fact, I plan on getting with you on camshaft selection for my whippled 509 soon! was looking for
seems kinda big (240/[email protected])I really don't think that fits in the 2000-6000 range I am shooting for,
When using a hyd roller profile lash is around .002" intake and .004" exhaust cold on an aluminum headed engine.

Cylinder heads will play a big part in determining the camshaft. The better the head the smaller the cam need.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
When using a hyd roller profile lash is around .002" intake and .004" exhaust cold on an aluminum headed engine.

Cylinder heads will play a big part in determining the camshaft. The better the head the smaller the cam need.
Exactly what we do. On a side note, I was talking with an engineer at comp about another camshaft and got on this subject. they now have a "dual purpose" lobe that will use a hyd or solid roller. Lash on the solid is .006 & .008 cold....

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so is this a common thing ? I've just never seen it done before, is there
an advantage to doing this? what gains could you expect? throttle response? higher rpm potential? is it really worth it, or is it a poor boy
hop up trick? HAVE YOU ever tried it, or suggested it? (just curious)

ps- 509 heads will just be the iron rect. port heads, with all the work
being concentrated in the bowl/ under valve area and 2.250/ 11/32 valves
installed ( maybe a little chamber work also)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
so is this a common thing ? I've just never seen it done before, is there
an advantage to doing this? what gains could you expect? throttle response? higher rpm potential? is it really worth it, or is it a poor boy
hop up trick? HAVE YOU ever tried it, or suggested it? (just curious)

ps- 509 heads will just be the iron rect. port heads, with all the work
being concentrated in the bowl/ under valve area and 2.250/ 11/32 valves
installed ( maybe a little chamber work also)
It was started back in the 80's with Ford Stocker's. They would run solid roller lifters on the 5.0 power plants. Secret held for several years.

Will need the flow numbers on the heads but USUALLY with OEM irons and a blower you need more split, but then again you may have a really good ported set of exhaust.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The cam I'm running now is 254* @.050 and pulls hard in that range. I'm using Edelbrock oval port (or rectoval as they call them)...

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cam I'm running now is 254* @.050 and pulls hard in that range. I'm using Edelbrock oval port (or rectoval as they call them)...

With a Bravo?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts