Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i have a weiland manifold and it sets the blower further back so a reg. dist. will not clear has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? help i almost have all the stuff done to the front of the engine so its on to the back of it.

·
Hondo Jet
120 Posts
Welcome to my world:mad: Check your drive allignment, if it's good like it is just get a msd flat top dist. $368 My allignment is off so much I'm getting another manifold. The blowershop people told me that their manifold as well as littlefield and mooneyham's places the blower a full one inch further forward then weiand. They told me 1/2" on the BDS unit. Check the spam section Jim has a polished blowershop piece for sale:)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
ok i have a weiland manifold and it sets the blower further back so a reg. dist. will not clear has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? help i almost have all the stuff done to the front of the engine so its on to the back of it.
i have a SBC Weiand blower manif that also sets the blower back...Dale Welch sells a set of Timken sealed roller bearings that replace the old style ball bearing rollers & u run NO rear cover...solves the problem perfectly...i run a mag & it fits fine...i think they are @ $40 set

www.Dale_welch.com

FastRat

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
buy an off set drive and a Mag :) :D

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
why spend the $$$ that u dont have to? :)

FastRat
cause they work well !!! Check out the ads on dragboats.com there are always offset drives for sale :) I bet a few of the racers have some laying around
another option is to run your distrubuter off of the cam .

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
hows this work? what do you have to do remove the rear cover?
u remove the outside rear cover (2 piece)...inner has the bearings...take the retainer plates off that hold the roller ball bearings in place...take the bearings out & replace with the sealed bearings & put the retainer plates back on...put the bolts thru the inner cover all around & ur done...takes about 15-20 min...i'm gonna make a 1/4" alum solid plate that covers the rear for looks, but u dont really need it, except for looks...i'm just trying to save u a bunch of $$$...u can go the other ways that were suggested, if ur rich, cause none of that stuff is cheap or chng the bearings...u do the math...$40 against $400+...i personally spent the $40 & it works fine

FastRat

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
cause they work well !!! Check out the ads on dragboats.com there are always offset drives for sale :) I bet a few of the racers have some laying around
another option is to run your distrubuter off of the cam .
i understand this very well...they work fine, but, he is new to the blower scene & has had alot of trouble getting everything up front lined up (pulleys, idler brkt etc) so i was trying to save him alot of $$$...new/used parts are not cheap!...this is a fix that works just fine :)...if any of u lived close to him, u could always go "help" him out!!!!! :)

FastRat

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
u remove the outside rear cover (2 piece)...inner has the bearings...take the retainer plates off that hold the roller ball bearings in place...take the bearings out & replace with the sealed bearings & put the retainer plates back on...put the bolts thru the inner cover all around & ur done...takes about 15-20 min...i'm gonna make a 1/4" alum solid plate that covers the rear for looks, but u dont really need it, except for looks...i'm just trying to save u a bunch of $$$...u can go the other ways that were suggested, if ur rich, cause none of that stuff is cheap or chng the bearings...u do the math...$40 against $400+...i personally spent the $40 & it works fine

FastRat
i would much rather do it this way. i was dreading spending another $3-400.00 dollars.:mad: i will give them a call. i checked their website and could not find the set-up. is there a certain part i should ask for? i would be interested in a cover also:)hand

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i would much rather do it this way. i was dreading spending another $3-400.00 dollars.:mad: i will give them a call. i checked their website and could not find the set-up. is there a certain part i should ask for? i would be interested in a cover also:)hand
on there web site...go to blower parts on the left side of menu & scroll down & u will see them...P/N is W20-7050WIN...these are the one's i have in mine...cost: $35.95 shipped...they do not make a cover that will work cause of the set-back of the blower...u either have to make ur own as i stated or leave the outer cover off

FastRat

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i understand this very well...they work fine, but, he is new to the blower scene & has had alot of trouble getting everything up front lined up (pulleys, idler brkt etc) so i was trying to save him alot of $$$...new/used parts are not cheap!...this is a fix that works just fine :)...if any of u lived close to him, u could always go "help" him out!!!!! :)

FastRat
this is very true. i have never set up a blower engine before and need all the help i can get. most the shops around here charge $75.00 + per hour just to talk to you. i have built alot of n/a engines before just not a blower engine. i have been getting parts and saving money for this for awhile now and just do not want to pay someone to do something i can do with alittle help:)hand i have everything on front done right now so its on to the back of it:)devil

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Slot, you and I are in the same boat in that I'm learning as I go too. I will say that I'll be happy to help in anyway I can given that I too have the Weiand manifold/blower on a BBC. Not sure what you're running. My MSD is tight as hell but it does work. I can post a pic but these guys are gonna laugh at my sh!t. I'm gonna pull thte dizzy this winter and lock it down.

Good luck and keep the faith, the first time you light it off and you hear the whine and surge.......you're hooked for life!!!!1

I'm already searching for different heads, slugs and cams to wake this thing up......john

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its great the offers for help. some of the people like you say will laugh but hey thats their problem. FastRat sent you a p.m. john what manifold do you have? mine a 7151 i think. on my other thread the one guy posted that i had all sorts of things wrong yet when i asked him to post what was wrong he never came back to tell me. like i said before we have a couple of shops around here but unless you pay them $75.00 per hour they will not talk to you. i sent good vibrations aome pictures and randy called me back and said all looked fine so far and advised me to keep the manifold and get a different dist. the msd looks like it should work but i also want to check out the bearings to get me some more room. it would be nice if other people with the weiland manifold would post up pictures of how they did it.:)sphss

1 - 20 of 46 Posts