Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
yes you need it. What if your filter comes apart. now if you have remote filters with a relief you dont.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Mine was plugged, ran elcheapo fram filter that came apart. Cost me a crank and bearings. It's still plugged, i run a better oil filter and don't spin the motor hard until the oil has some heat in it.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yes unfiltered oil.
Really? Is your oil that dirty that you are worried about it? Why would the bypass be open anyway. If it NEEDS to go the thru the byass, must mean it couldn't get thru the filter. You would rather have less oil than unfiltered oil?
If its going thru the filter, then it doesn't need to go thru the bypass. But if it can't get thru the filter, then how does it get to the bearings if there is no bypass?
Just curious

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Come on SHBH, your post sucks without graphic scary ass pix.
So what about a bypass bothers you? Dirty oil circulating your engine?

Damn dude, it only took you 12 min to find the pics and post? lol
And yes, unfiltered oil. After i replaced the crank, 2 rods, one main cap and line bore checked i also had loco machine shop hone the cylinders over a glaze issue. I put it back together and after a few hours run time i noticed decrease in oil pressure with increase in rpm. Pulled the pan back off, oil had a little metal in it, oil filter (napa) was plugged. I checked a few rod bearings, pulled the oil galley plug on the front of the block, washed everything
down with 2 cans of brake clean and 170 psi compressed air and ran it close to 100 hrs when i upgraded to a better set of rods.If it had a bypass i am sure the bearings and possibly the crank would have been trashed.
The lessons i learned?
Cheap fram filters are junk, plugged filter bypass is a good thing with a real oil filter and no banging on the motor until the oil has some heat in it. And i have been know to run a fram racing filter once in a while.
As far as i am concerned a bypass is good for cars/cold weather/low rpm.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Most are worried about it bypassing uninvited and not filtering the oil. Plugging the bypass and using a filter with a built in bypass removes that doubt.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Most are worried about it bypassing uninvited and not filtering the oil. Plugging the bypass and using a filter with a built in bypass removes that doubt.
So the filter bypass is less likely to open than the stock GM bypass? That's a relief. I was beginning to worry about unfiltered filthy oil circulating my engine.

BTW Mercury sell a block bypass that has a 30 psi rating. That's higher than any internal filter bypass.
How many people even know the psi their internal filter bypass opens at?
What's the PSI rating of the stock GM bypass?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
623 Posts
Now I have to start worrying about my bypass opening? Like I don't already have enough things to concern myself with, I have to worry about unfiltered dirty oil taking out my bearings?
Poor Bob, so many things to loose sleep over. Now you have to redesign the oiling systen so "clean filtered oil" goes to every bearing. You wouldnt want that dirty unfiltered oil getting to something like the rear main.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Poor Bob, so many things to loose sleep over. Now you have to redesign the oiling systen so "clean filtered oil" goes to every bearing. You wouldnt want that dirty unfiltered oil getting to something like the rear main.
Rear main has the most clearance. It can tolerate much larger chunks of crud before it hurts anything. God only knows there is a lot of crud in the pan of a engine that has had the oil going thru the filter 99.9% of the time. I really need to start changing it more often.

My favorite is removing the bypass and then installing a Wix racing filter to increase the flow. Like that is somehow better than a Baldwin, K&N or even a regular WIX Gold and keeping the bypass.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
It's OK :hmmm:

I run no bypass and a 6" Oberg. Mix 50 and 70 wt Lucas and run 100 lbs of cold pressure.

If you didn't want the oil filtered you wouldn't run one. It needs to bypass somewhere if the filter gets clogged. No different on Aircraft engines. The method you use to bypass is up to you.

Most feel that winpy stock GM bypass and don't trust it. Not knowing it's a differential pressure that causes it to function. If it's a high performance engine it should have a better than stock oil system.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
It's OK :hmmm:

I run no bypass and a 6" Oberg. Mix 50 and 70 wt Lucas and run 100 lbs of cold pressure.

If you didn't want the oil filtered you wouldn't run one. It needs to bypass somewhere if the filter gets clogged. No different on Aircraft engines. The method you use to bypass is up to you.

Most feel that winpy stock GM bypass and don't trust it. Not knowing it's a differential pressure that causes it to function. If it's a high performance engine it should have a better than stock oil system.
I agree, the stock bypass is a little on the light side. That's why Mercury sells a higher bypass, due to the pressure loss thru an oil cooler will cause enough differential to push the stocker open under most high rpm/flow conditions.

No shortage of guys removing the bypass and then installing a 3" long AC Delco/Wally World Tech 2000/STP or some other POS filter with 20/50 and wonder why their engine smoked.

·
Registered
282 Posts
99 percent of the engines from the teens to the 50s didn't even have filters.The filters that were add ons were only partial flow.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason I asked is because the machinist at the machine shop were i picked up my block said to get rid of the bypass and get a billet one with out it.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The reason I asked is because the machinist at the machine shop were i picked up my block said to get rid of the bypass and get a billet one with out it.
Then by all means, do it. Did he also recommend you run a Fram PH 3509A(formly ph 35) filter as well? Or did he recommend something even smaller like a AC Delco PF 454. Tell me that filter doesn't have a snapping ring to it. It even sounds high performance.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
So i'm guessing the ph 5 that been running the last 50hrs isn't the hot tip?

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I sell a complete engine to a customer and run it in my shop I write in huge letters on the the ticket no fram or ac filters and they sign it.And still some put that junk on it and wonder why there op is all over or none.The frams collapse at idle it seems.I also leave the factory filter housing alone.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Normal size spin on filters I run a NAPA Gold 1061

1 - 20 of 60 Posts