Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any manufacturer have a .021 steel gasket that will fit a 4.031 bore? What is the best sealer for steel?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
We carry a 4.100" coated stainless gasket .020"
We carry a 4.130" graphite shim gasket .028"

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Does any manufacturer have a .021 steel gasket that will fit a 4.031 bore? What is the best sealer for steel?
Could you mean 4.31? Don't know of any BB Chevys with 4.03 bore.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I'm thinking its a SBC. Probably for a SE, thinking he is going to gain some compression with a gasket that's no bigger than needed to clear the bore.
just a wild ass guess.
Yeah, except the title of the thread is "BBC head gasket"... :dunno:

·
Some guy
3,636 Posts
Personally I wouldn't. I tried it once when I was very young and vey dumb on a mild SBF and didn't work out well at all. There is reason gaskets have a fire ring.
I have only done it once or twice, when I wasn't so young. Must have been to get a specific gasket thickness, but no problems reported. I think one was a mild marine blown engine.

I probably should have asked "why?" as a preface to my reply, there are lots of alternatives that won't require as much time and care to install. I have one high compression dirt track engine that I build that we still run copper head gaskets on.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I have only done it once or twice, when I wasn't so young. Must have been to get a specific gasket thickness, but no problems reported. I think one was a mild marine blown engine.

I probably should have asked "why?" as a preface to my reply, there are lots of alternatives that won't require as much time and care to install. I have one high compression dirt track engine that I build that we still run copper head gaskets on.
I dont wanna jack this guys thread....but it caught my eye because I have wanted to improve the quench on my 557 with a similar thickness gasket. I had never heard of quench when it was put together. My ex motor guy left me about .022 in the hole. I am pretty sure my block isnt currently smooth enough for an mls type. I knew you could get copper in a variety of thickness....but assumed it needed to be o-ringed ect. I have periodically heard the term shim thrown out there. I have zero clue if a shim can be used instead of a gasket....or if they were meant to be used with a gasket. Hopefully at least some of the things I am asking the OP would want to know also.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I dont wanna jack this guys thread....but it caught my eye because I have wanted to improve the quench on my 557 with a similar thickness gasket. I had never heard of quench when it was put together. My ex motor guy left me about .022 in the hole. I am pretty sure my block isnt currently smooth enough for an mls type. I knew you could get copper in a variety of thickness....but assumed it needed to be o-ringed ect. I have periodically heard the term shim thrown out there. I have zero clue if a shim can be used instead of a gasket....or if they were meant to be used with a gasket. Hopefully at least some of the things I am asking the OP would want to know also.
If it has aluminum heads, I don't recommend running a embossed steel shim gasket.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
If it has aluminum heads, I don't recommend running a embossed steel shim gasket.
Mine does(aluminum heads)....thanks for the response. Off memory, the OP has iron heads...maybe this will be an option for him.

Edit; or maybe he is just talking steel gasket....not sure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Closest you are going to get is the Mr Gasket 4.370 bore .020 compressed embossed steel shim gasket. Part# 1131G
Like I said before, not an aluminum head friendly gasket.
Must have been the only place I didn't look. Thanks Bob. Looks like it will be .030 away from cylinder border, any problem here? 467 with 8.4 compression.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Must have been the only place I didn't look. Thanks Bob. Looks like it will be .030 away from cylinder border, any problem here? 467 with 8.4 compression.
That's basically a copy of the original Detroit Gasket used by GM as original equipment in the BBC.
No. It doesn't create a problem. Very few engines are built with gasket bores any closer than that. In fact, when you using aftermarket heads, its never a good idea to match the head gasket to the bore, but to the head's requirements. For example, AFR and Canfields need a 4.5" head gasket regardless the bore size.
It must be sealed. I like hylomar myself. Copper Coat works it the deck and heads have a decent smooth finish on them.
GM gasket sealer 1050026 works very well also.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts