Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Warlock is a nice cruiser with the 330hp carb 454 but the best top speed i can get is about 55 @ 4200 rpm in smooth water. Definatly needs more power.

I went to see Joey Grose and dropped off a mark 4 block with 4 bolt mains I had picked up a week earlier. After some disscussion here is what we are doing.

All parts will be new except for pan and block.
Forged 4340 stroker crank and rods (496)
JE pistons
Hydraulic roller cam and lifters
Dart Iron Eagle rectagular port heads with roller rockers
Profesional prducts intake and holley carb

Joey suggested that it will make over 600 hp. The projected finish time will be mid Dec and I will post updates as I get them as well as the dyno results.

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
Cool. :)

·
Village Idiot
3,463 Posts
Sounds like it will be a good little build up. Those guys sure know what they are doing, so I bet you will be VERY happy with the results that will last a long time.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Joey is padding the numbers...he'll get more out of it then that...

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Why did you throw away .030 worth of bore for 7 cubic inches? :)bulb

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see it as a waste. If I could have gone bigger I would have. I wanted to buy a Dart block and build a 540 but I got this one for $200 and saved some money. The boat is used mostly for cruising and I won't be hard on it. I don't expect to have to rebuild it for a long time. I do have an extra block if I need one.

·
520 Posts
I have a complete mark 4 hyd roller valve train in the parts spam. Excellent condition. Check and see if it will work for you. It would save you a ton of money. Scott

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Sounds very similar to a 489 I'm doing, only with 990 heads and a dual plane.
Good luck with the Pro Products intake.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finaly have an update. The block has been machined and all the parts are in from the suppliers.The short block will be assembled tomorrow. I will take pictures of all the parts and post .

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am with Steelcomp on this one. This has always amazed me. A guy will buy a new block and bore it to max. Well, that is money well spent.
I am not saying you are wrong. IMO a couple freshens and at least 1 rebuild is worth the trade off in the 7 ci to me. (notice I said me) If you were making 2hp per cubic inch this is 14 hp. (you aren't, so it is less than 14 hp)
Yes, I practice what I preach. My dart is not maxed out. It should last me until I quit racing. (hopefully within a year or 2 :D)

Wags

BTW.. I'm not bustin' your balls. It will run its ass off. Be happy. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
taking it .060 over is a good decision I think. Remember, your dealing with a 30 year old block and probably new pistons.

It's tough to find a virgin mk4 block any more.....and if you ever wipe out a cylinder, a .030 over core is easy to find. Pistons are all the same price regardless of the size.

I did a .030 over setup for my boat a couple years ago....and after discovering a problem with the mains, had to buy another block and take it .060 'over since I couldn't find a good core that would clean up at .030, then had to buy new pistons too. Had I started out at .060......things would have been more plentiful.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
gotta agree with that:D like tryin to find a "good" 4.470 502;)

'

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
gotta agree with that:D like tryin to find a "good" 4.470 502;)

'
If you find a .030 that won't clean up, you can still get .040 off the shelf. IMO it's like grinding a crank .020 .020 first time around. What's the point?
Oh well...TETO. :)hand

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
.060 pistons and rings are the easiest to find in my experience. Not every piston is on the shelf in a .040. You can find core blocks all day long that will clean up at .060. That was my point.

It's nothing like taking a crank 20/20 right outta the box.

Of course, this may all be a moot point if the machine shop gives a shit and does the work correctly so that it doesn't have it doesn't have to come down again after a season...something which I've never personally experienced...lol

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
that sucks for you bro, forgot about your head thread!:mad: maybe you need to come up
alittle farther north-I know AT LEAST 2 shops that could fix ya up CORRECTLY, and
one is A PBF MEMBER:D you might even know him:)sphss

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joey strongly suggested we go 30 over instead of 60. So 30 over is what the block is bored out. It's not a race motor so it won't make any noticable difference. Here are pictures of the parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts