Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing out my olds 455 for a chevy 454 in the daycruiser.

I picked up a core motor and replacing the bottom end on it being the crank was toast! Top end had good compression so I am leaving it alone for now!

The motor came out of a "truck" so it has the oil filter adapter on it with an outlet and inlet for a cooler.

Is it OK to just plug the holes and not run into any issues? I would think so but new to this BBC stuff!

Secondy, I have a four bolt main and the book I have has two choices on main bearing torque specs.
What should I be running for a stock motor? At this point I am at 100 for the inner and 50 for the outer.
Thoughts?

Chris

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I am in the process of changing out my olds 455 for a chevy 454 in the daycruiser.

I picked up a core motor and replacing the bottom end on it being the crank was toast! Top end had good compression so I am leaving it alone for now!

The motor came out of a "truck" so it has the oil filter adapter on it with an outlet and inlet for a cooler.

Is it OK to just plug the holes and not run into any issues? I would think so but new to this BBC stuff!

Secondy, I have a four bolt main and the book I have has two choices on main bearing torque specs.
What should I be running for a stock motor? At this point I am at 100 for the inner and 50 for the outer.
Thoughts?

Chris

NO! you cannot just block the ports on the cooler adaptor. Some have a pressure relief internal, some do not. Either way, if you're not using it, remove it. Even if it has a cooler bypass inside, why have the restriction of the oil passing thru the bypass. If it does not have a bypass in it, then the only way for oil to get to the engine is to pass thru the cooler. Which means you will have put a line between the 2 ports.

The torque on the mains is the same inside and out. 110 with oil, or 100 with moly lube.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
No difference....

The old Chilton book I have shows a different torque, (inner/outer) for SBC w/4 bolt mains, but the 454, 70-77 shows 110 for all.... Just curious, what "toasted" the crank? AND if it was a spun rod bearing, are you replacing/re sizing/re balancing the rods? (BTW, 3/8ths rod bolts are 50#, and 7/16ths are 70#.. Head bolts, 80# unless the heads are factory aluminum, then it's 75# for the long bolts, and 65 for the short ones...) If you're using replacement ARP bolts/studs, all this changes....
Ray

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys! I will ditch the adapter and go with a straight block to filter setup.

As far as what took the crank out, I think it was a bad torque converter. Rods and mains looked ok but the thrust was at .080 play!:))eek:))

Machine shop guy said crank was a factory balance job and a new reground should be the same so no need to get anything rebalanced for a stock setup.

Good thing is with the new reground crank everything has checked out good so far regarding specs and clearances for the mains and rods!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts