Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ya think? Is it worth it to recondition both ends, polish and shotpeen Dimple rods or just buy a set of new Eagle or Scat rods? I think for the money it cost to do, I don't have the equiptment to do the sizing, the new rods would be a better deal. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Buy the scat or eagle. Loosen caps, clean threads, use moly, torque, take them to you machinist and a 12 pack and have him check them.
They will need touch up probably.
Still stronger than stockers. Plus, bolts 70 bucks, recon 160 bucks, shot peen ?? bucks.

Wags

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
What ya think? Is it worth it to recondition both ends, polish and shotpeen Dimple rods or just buy a set of new Eagle or Scat rods? I think for the money it cost to do, I don't have the equiptment to do the sizing, the new rods would be a better deal. Thanks for your input.
no doubt buy new rods chev rods arn't the way to go you won't be sorry

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
You can go thru all that, hope the job gets done right, don't laugh, and end up with a USED rod about equal to the first rod, the SS. Or you can spend a little more and end up with about twice the rod. If your interested, check with Steel, I believe he has a line on these.
LINK: Scat SS rod
LINK: Scat PC rod

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Just went through this same thought process on a SB Ford build. Result: No way can you properly recondition a set of stock rods for less than buying a set of I beams, either Eagle or Scat. Even if you could, you still only have a 5140 rod with a through bolt, with X number of cycles on it vs. a 4340 capscrew rod that's brand new. The 4340 rods with good bolts are a lot stronger than most people realize and for less than $300 it's a no brainer.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Buy the scat or eagle. Loosen caps, clean threads, use moly, torque, take them to you machinist and a 12 pack and have him check them.
They will need touch up probably.
Still stronger than stockers. Plus, bolts 70 bucks, recon 160 bucks, shot peen ?? bucks.

Wags
Throw in a bushing for floating pins and you'd be foolish not to mag them...I don't see how a a shop can even sell rod bolts any more. WaveLocks used to be the shizz...:)sphss

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
I bought the scat pro comp's (I hate saying procomp) best 300.00 bucks you'll ever spend! can't give the dimple rods away these days!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Just went through this same thought process on a SB Ford build. Result: No way can you properly recondition a set of stock rods for less than buying a set of I beams, either Eagle or Scat. Even if you could, you still only have a 5140 rod with a through bolt, with X number of cycles on it vs. a 4340 capscrew rod that's brand new. The 4340 rods with good bolts are a lot stronger than most people realize and for less than $300 it's a no brainer.
Ford never used 5140 steel in their std. rods, All FoMoCo standard production rods were SAE 1041 mild steel.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Ford never used 5140 steel in their std. rods, All FoMoCo standard production rods were SAE 1041 mild steel.
OP was talking about BB Chev, but you're right...I should have said "at best"...:)hand

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
good point GN- I just really doubt that chinese 4340 is the same aerospace grade as say what CROWER, or Carillo uses.................:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts