Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Is there any particular procedure for installing a stud girdle? I went to a bigger cam and if i install it so the nut for poly lock sticks all the way through, the rockers touch the girdle. I have been running it slide up just far enough to clear and it looks like it wants to pull the rocker studs so have been not tightening it down tight. It hasn't caused any issues...yet..i guess i should grind the girdle for clearance?
Thanx
mike

·
NOSTALGIC V-DRIVES
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any particular procedure for installing a stud girdle? I went to a bigger cam and if i install it so the nut for poly lock sticks all the way through, the rockers touch the girdle. I have been running it slide up just far enough to clear and it looks like it wants to pull the rocker studs so have been not tightening it down tight. It hasn't caused any issues...yet..i guess i should grind the girdle for clearance?
Thanx
mike
I'm no expert by any means.

I try and find the "sweet spot" for the stud girdle on the poly locks. Meaning I tighten the girdle bolts slightly still being able to move the girdle, then move the girdle around until I find the best non-binding fit.

Then run your valves. The stud girdle will make the poly locks snug at this time but you should still be able to move them.

After running the valves finish tightening the stud girdle bolts. For safety you can re-run the valves to make sure the stud girdle did not distort the valve setting.

I would check on another brand of stud girdle if you have to grind on it to make it fit or maybe something else with your setup is not correct.

Hope that helps. Again I'm no expert. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts