Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After spending the weekend with several outboard boaters; I noticed significant differences between the average BBC I/O boaters and the weed whackers.

1. Amount of time they spend running them. We boated all day, for more than 6 hours at FULL speed, and burned under 40% of fuel compared to a comparable I/O.

2. The extra amount of room in the boat with the powerhead in the water instead of the last 5 feet of boat.

3. The newer ones are exceptionally quiet.

4. Lack of 2 cycle exhaust smoke.

5. Outboard guys are CONCERNED about their warranty with Mercury.

But at the end of the day; I would rather hear and feel the power of the BBCs and boat 1/2 as much to compensate for the fuel consumption. As for the extra room the BBCs take up; I've decided its worth it to purchase a bigger boat. GO BBCs.

Anybody had the opportunity to run in both and have an opinion?:)bulb

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Twin outboard east coast cat in my opinion is the pinnacle of boating. And as far as the engine noise goes some people prefer Nascar some indy car, 300's wfo for hours on end are like music to my ears:thumb:

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
After spending the weekend with several outboard boaters; I noticed significant differences between the average BBC I/O boaters and the weed whackers.

1. Amount of time they spend running them. We boated all day, for more than 6 hours at FULL speed, at burned under 40% of fuel compared to a comparable I/O.

2. The extra amount of room in the boat with the powerhead in the water instead of the last 5 feet of boat.

3. The newer ones are exceptionally quiet.

4. Lack of 2 cycle exhaust smoke.

5. Outboard guys are CONCERNED about their warranty with Mercury.

But at the end of the day; I would rather hear and feel the power of the BBCs and boat 1/2 as much to compensate for the fuel consumption. As for the extra room the BBCs take up; I've decided its worth it to purchase a bigger boat.

Anybody had the opportunity to run in both and have an opinion?:)bulb
Outboards are for fishing. :D

I can spend all day in grandpa's outboard powerd pontoon but, I have a higher threshold for entertainment. What would you rather ride in? An F-16 for a few minutes or a cessna for 6 hours at full speed. :wink2::jabber::wink2::partyguy::)hand

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evil

I am just here to provide the spark; the rest of you provide the flames. :angry:

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
wow

I think that cult got King....it's that outboard church!

My neighbor has a skeeter but that don't make him cool, oh and he drives a Kia!

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
BBC Vdrive

Ive had olds/chevy jets, bbc v-drive flats, daycruiser outdrives, Eliminator ob,Baker ob's, Stoker Tunnel ob's, Daytona ob's, Schiada 21' 22' 24' v-drives.

Best?

All around fun hotrod?

Stoker 20 w/2.5 efi

Pin you in the seat, scare the shit out of you, shot out of a cannon thrill ride rush?

Biesemeier K boat

Chop busting comfort at 100mph?

Schiada 24 v-drive

Cruising at 140 listening to the stereo?

Skater 38 w/Sterlings and 6's

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Ive had olds/chevy jets, bbc v-drive flats, daycruiser outdrives, Eliminator ob,Baker ob's, Stoker Tunnel ob's, Daytona ob's, Schiada 21' 22' 24' v-drives.

Best?

All around fun hotrod?

Stoker 20 w/2.5 efi

Pin you in the seat, scare the shit out of you, shot out of a cannon thrill ride rush?

Biesemeier K boat

Schiada 24 v-drive

You owned a K-boat? Bust out a pic! :)

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
who cares go enjoy what ever boat your lucky enough to own:cool:
yea like I am going to leave it at that:happy:
Outboards are BOAT motors and far more dependable and efficient that any I/O arrangement, because the outboard is designed from the ground up for being a BOAT motor (extended high rpm) and no matter what is in front of any I/O It's a CAR motor to begin with be it Merc, Illmor etc. that was not designed for extended high rpm as it's original intent, but throw enough specialty parts at car motor and it can do the job for a while like 200-400hrs which is laughable compared to a outboards 1000's of hours. but given the choice I will take the heart pounding song of a big V8 I/O or two:thumb: any day, because no matter how cool your 2 stoke is it still sounds like a toy......winga ging, ga ging....winga ging ga ginghil:)

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yahh. What Karl said.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I dig the sound and 'feel' of my Harley Shovel Head big-bore...but for endless speed it's a crotch rocket all the way. :yes:
Owning my 21 Daytona Jet since 95 I can honestly say, I wouldn't regret having a nasty outboard hanging off the back > no shame in going fast for a loooong time and doing so more efficiently.:))THumbsUp

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
are outboards still around $100.00 per horsepower, or has the price increased with the technology lately?

·
Premium Member
385 Posts

Best?

All around fun hotrod?

Stoker 20 w/2.5 efi

Biesemeier K boat

Schiada 24 v-drive

I have never ownd a K, but I'm looking for one. I have ridden in one several times. The boats in the first line I have owned plus a 30 Hallett twin bbc ods.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
K ~ ss

Hey here and there I see the circle boats giving rides at a drag boat race...anyone know how to arrange a ride in phoenix?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Okay Mr. V-Drive....

Outboards are for fishing. :D

I can spend all day in grandpa's outboard powerd pontoon but, I have a higher threshold for entertainment. What would you rather ride in? An F-16 for a few minutes or a cessna for 6 hours at full speed. :wink2::jabber::wink2::partyguy::)hand
I promise you a ride that won't bore you...When do you wanna' come and get it? Bring some extra TP for the ride.

When you sustain 100 MPH plus thru an F-1 course, such as the Delta, you too shall bow down to the Outboard...waiting on you.:yes:

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Yahh. What Karl said.
For the POOR folks (like me) that run OLD 2 stroke whackers there is the concern about pins sinking in the pistons, the rings turn and BAMO... IF you are lucky you catch it quickly and it cost ya gaskets, 100 for a sleeve, 100 for the labor to install and port the new sleeve, whatever a piston/rings/needle bearings/gaskets cost ya... IF it was a nicksil power head now you have mixed sets of rings for the IRON holes compared to the nicksil/chrome holes... THAT is if you are lucky... MY 2.4 has had a total of four bad holes in it's life since 1985...

Conversely there are v8's of all flavors in flatties out there since the 60's that are still in decent shape on the standard bore...

The White hull (Catalina Ski Race tow boat, use to be #69) with the BIG INCH Kasse hemi head EFI FORD with a velvet drive into a jet pump is always strong and took off his twin hair dryers to slow his boat down and change classes at the Parker 300...

Both have strong points and both have weak points...

I know what I saw at the Parker 300 last year, to me that is the true test of endurance... There is more stuff to fail on a Vdrive or I/O and ALOT more weight to move around BUT what I saw out of the NORDIC boats was really amazing those were hauling ass... MAXI looked good until he broke a prop which in turn messed up his outdrive shaft OR he would have done great... The GN boats looked great (that race is what they are meant for), the WAR CANOE was set on kill with a MONSTER OMC... Which is ironic since that particular OMC is not known for reliability BUT I assume it is FAR FAR FAR from stock and the weak points have been resolved...

The large number of outboards looked good, I was impressed....

I have one of each so I don't have to take sides... :D

I have noticed that the outboard guys are much more apt to come up and give other guys big hugs, a kiss on the cheek, a slap on the ass and hang their arm around the other guys far far more often which makes me wonder... Chris, did you encounter any of the aformentioned when you paid those guys a visit last week???

:hmmm:

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
I promise you a ride that won't bore you...When do you wanna' come and get it? Bring some extra TP for the ride.

When you sustain 100 MPH plus thru an F-1 course, such as the Delta, you too shall bow down to the Outboard...waiting on you.:yes:
I'm more afraid of the "pole to hole" seating than the ride itself. :D:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts