Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a build going on 22ft Taylor jet drive daycruiser with 460 I am looking into motor mods is it worth the money stroke my 460 to 500+ci... I will be using dove c heads and tru trans manifolds... I would like to run 70-80 maybe more what power will I need and will I need stroker or what u veterns think... I'm new to jet boats....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I am not a jet guy,so not really the guy to listen to.....
But i am a ford car guy and that 460 can be pushed to around 550 inches easily cause of the tall deck hieght
And with the budget stroker kits that are available these days,i think you would be crazy not to do it,especially if you want to go 80+ reliably

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
I have a build going on 22ft Taylor jet drive daycruiser with 460 I am looking into motor mods is it worth the money stroke my 460 to 500+ci... I will be using dove c heads and tru trans manifolds... I would like to run 70-80 maybe more what power will I need and will I need stroker or what u veterns think... I'm new to jet boats....
Stroker man... unless you plan on using cast pistons... the pistons, rings, & bearings will all run about the same whether you are std stroke or stroker... the difference will be the rods (which would be an upgrade so therefore a +) and the crankshaft... which when you think about how much to add a set of ARP rod bolts and resize rods and mag and grind a 30 year old who knows where it's been crankshaft vs what a new stroker crank and aftermarket rods cost... you're not looking at much difference. Plus the heads you have got a lot of potential for good hp whether you stoke or not... stroke being the easiest way to get ponies... especially since with the thru transom manifolds you're kinda limited on how much cam you can throw at it.

So... if it were my wallet... I'd stroke it. Easy way to get power and the cost when you compare apples to apples is not too bad. Plus... a 22' boat would not suffer from a bit of added torque;)

I think the main hinderance in your build would be the manifolds... IMO.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
There are serveral ways to go from an off-set ground stock crank with the 4.14" or 4.30" stroker.

Stroke it if you have the time and money it will be worth it. As Bostick said the logs might be a hold back so you need to find the best flowing snails you can.

S CP

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
No replacement for Displacement in a Boat. Big cubes and low compression make good dependable power for boats.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
stroke it,70-80 in a daycruiser well welcome to a real challenge ahead of you.

might see 70 to low 70s but 80 im thinking is out the window.best of luck,Travis

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
If you want to run pump gas and use the D0VE heads, then you are going to need a dished piston in the 28-36 cc range, depending on stroke (4.14"-4.30") in order to maintain 10:1 or slightly less. A "D" shaped dish that mirrors the combustion chamber and maintains the effectiveness of the cylinder head's quench pad will be paramount with the iron heads--no round dished pistons. The heads will need to be well ported on both the intake and the exhaust, and oversize valves would be a very good idea given the increased displacement of the engine. Work the transom logs, too. Add the proper camshaft and induction and you can have a very healthy, powerful, great sounding, and realiable engine that will move your boat to the speeds you are targeting.

LO

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
:))eek:)) I forgot all about those! Although I refer to them as squishy slots!
Fire slots, quench trench, squish jets, etc.... :ccol:

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
So need I need to dish out cash for stroker the way it sounds...
Not necessarily, depends on what exactly you want to do. Feel free to give me a call and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction build-wise.

LO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts