Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys beach your boats? I've always been told that the sand will tear and scratch up the front of your hull but I always see pics of it being done.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Are you kidding me. Running your boat onto sand and rocks will scratch the gel? Wow I better stop doing that.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Yeah, the bottom of mine is worn through the white gelcoat into the base fiberglass. Maybe I should leave it on the trailer so it won't get damaged.

My stepdaughter (the "evil twin") always wants to take the boat to sandy beaches so her kids can play and her husband/sperm donor can cook on the grille. She saw the wear on the bottom of the boat while detailing it (she does have SOME positive attributes) and decided that it was my fault, as the driver of the boat (not hers, as the navigator).

So yes, it will scratch up the bottom of your boat. I have seen no lowering of power or handling, no lowering of top speed, it doesn't burn more gas, and it doesn't leak. I'll get it regelled by Advantage when I do the rest of the work later this year, but I'm not going to stop using my boat to prevent $200 in repairable wear.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Just don't get to carried away when you do beach:D

We always beach ours this boat we had for 4 years and never had an issue with beaching. Our boat we have now I had some extra fiberglass installed on the bottom and we have been beaching this one for 5 years and no problems. Don't beach on rocks:D

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Do it all the time,,we do have a Keel Guard. Works Great. I've only seen one Cat. with Keel Guard on each sponsers, he said it works great for him. They don't scrub off any speed since they are not in the water when on plane.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Wearing the gel coat thin in Havasu is a fact of life here, a trip to the gel coaters every couple of years is standard operating procedure and about a $1200.00 repair.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Nice avatar:D

Yea I've been asked why is it sitting so far up on the shore line. With a 600 pound hull and a 600 pound motor haniging 12" off the ass end the nose sits up high, very high. I didn't drive it that far up, that were the hull first hit the shore. And that's why it's sporting a 385 pound merc now. Here are some pic's of my 15 year old keel.

The scratch's came from the white mountain lakes, plenty of rocks to dodge. They don't go through to the glass.

And the light weight motor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you kidding me. Running your boat onto sand and rocks will scratch the gel? Wow I better stop doing that.
haha you're funny :)sphss

Thanks guys I was just wondering. I was under the impression that the bottom of my boat would somehow develop a swimming hole if i beach it. but the lakes i usually go to are mostly sand. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I used to carry a 13 in tire under the deck of a hallett 20ss I had. When I came up to the beach I would put the tire in the water where the bow would rest and slide the boat on the tire. Kept the bottom scratch free.

U

·
0 Posts
Do it all the time,,we do have a Keel Guard. Works Great. I've only seen one Cat. with Keel Guard on each sponsers, he said it works great for him. They don't scrub off any speed since they are not in the water when on plane.
I've been considering using Keel Guards on mine

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The keel on mine is worn throuhg the gel and down to the glass in a few areas. I figure this winter I will have the bottom done. I've beached every boat I've ever owned and I'm not going to stop. I'll just have the bottom redone every 3 or 4 years.

R

·
0 Posts
Funny post.

People worry about wet sanding with 1000 or 2000 grit, they get all worried about what kind of wax or polish to use, they worry about the carpet on their bunks. Then they go and beach their boat and don't give it a second thought. wtf do they think the bottom is made of, titanium?

Figure clean sand without rocks has to be equal to 60 grit sandpaper. So if you're ok wet sanding the gel on your boat with 60 grit sandpaper and an occasional boulder, then you shouldn't have a problem beaching your boat :)sphss

What's even more funny are the boats for sale showing a pic of their beached beauty in absolutely pristine perfect condition :)hand

carry on.

·
Slow Learner
909 Posts
Funny post.

People worry about wet sanding with 1000 or 2000 grit, they get all worried about what kind of wax or polish to use, they worry about the carpet on their bunks. Then they go and beach their boat and don't give it a second thought. wtf do they think the bottom is made of, titanium?

Figure clean sand without rocks has to be equal to 60 grit sandpaper. So if you're ok wet sanding the gel on your boat with 60 grit sandpaper and an occasional boulder, then you shouldn't have a problem beaching your boat :)sphss

What's even more funny are the boats for sale showing a pic of their beached beauty in absolutely pristine perfect condition :)hand

carry on.
I figure I spend that much on a boat, I might as well enjoy it. Carry on.:p

By the way, I've seen that boat on the beach a few times..

R

·
0 Posts
I figure I spend that much on a boat, I might as well enjoy it. Carry on.:p

By the way, I've seen that boat on the beach a few times..
Not while I've owned it. :p

I don't see wet sanding with 60 grit as getting my monies worth out of my boats.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you guys are funny. I didn't know that this was such a controversial topic :|err

1 - 20 of 58 Posts