Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set that came on a trailer, i cleaned all the old greese out of them and now i'm ready to reinstall. I've never used them before so i'm a bit confused how to install.

MY bearing buddies have a wing nut on the zerk fitting, i can drive it all the way down or all the way out. Most of the BB instructions i'm finding online dont have this wing nut adjustment. can sombody shed some light on the installation and what the wing nut is for???

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Mine have the zerk on the spindle, allowing you to lube from the back out. Most bearing buddies I've seen have the zerk on the outer cap??? Not sure why that would be better. As far as the wingnut deal I'm lost there, but I'm sure someone will know something. Got a pic?

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Mine, you pull the bra off and the zerk is pointing at you like a nipple... the zerk is on the part thats spring loaded.
Boy does that leave a spot for a smart ass comment but I'm already in trouble for a Ford vs. Chevy comment!!!

By the way...that's how mine's set up but there's no wingnut.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Boy does that leave a spot for a smart ass comment but I'm already in trouble for a Ford vs. Chevy comment!!!

By the way...that's how mine's set up but there's no wingnut.
You think Woolify? I was all over that one but you beat me too it. :D

·
Amber Racing Services
4,341 Posts
Shaun ... let me get this straight ...

you have a wing nut or you don't? you have a zerk or you don't?

In your 1st post you said:
"MY bearing buddies have a wing nut on the zerk fitting, i can drive it all the way down or all the way out."

Then you said:
"Mine, you pull the bra off and the zerk is pointing at you like a nipple... the zerk is on the part thats spring loaded."

Your posts are so random and confusing at times ... just trying to figure this one out. You have a wingnut or a zerk?

Maybe post up pictures so we can follow you when you post?

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shaun ... let me get this straight ...

you have a wing nut or you don't? you have a zerk or you don't?

In your 1st post you said:
"MY bearing buddies have a wing nut on the zerk fitting, i can drive it all the way down or all the way out."

Then you said:
"Mine, you pull the bra off and the zerk is pointing at you like a nipple... the zerk is on the part thats spring loaded."

Your posts are so random and confusing at times ... just trying to figure this one out. You have a wingnut or a zerk?

Maybe post up pictures so we can follow you when you post?

Yes and Yes, and thats because they are both true.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Thats a Strange Wing nut nipple zerk:)devil

just remember the hub seals need to be flipped over
when using bearing buddies.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yes and Yes, and thats because they are both true.

huh? wander why your BB are that way? If you press on that fitting does it have some play in it. It should have a little squash to it against the spring. Are those brand new? If not Id toss them and go match up a new set. Or just try them out. Pump grease till it starts coming out of the seams and call it good.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I had those on my first trailer back in '75, you bring the wing nut all the way out and then grease it. Once full, turn the wing nut in to better pack the bearings. At least that's what I thought it was for back then :p
I really don't recall if mine had a spring?

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
That's still a common BB on the older trailers, still have them on my 1980 Miller trailer.
The spring pushes the cap outward, the nut pushes the cap inwards. It's non auto packing, meaning you must turn the nut to load the bearings with grease.
All you do is back the nut all the way out, pump the hub full of grease. Every season tighten the nut a little to pack grease back into the bearings, once the nut is bottomed out it's time to repack.
Personally I suggest you throw those out in favor of the new style BB's. The new ones keep the hub packed better, and do a better job of keeping water out of the hub as they can keep a slight amount of pressure in the hub.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
That's still a common BB on the older trailers, still have them on my 1980 Miller trailer.
The spring pushes the cap outward, the nut pushes the cap inwards. It's non auto packing, meaning you must turn the nut to load the bearings with grease.
All you do is back the nut all the way out, pump the hub full of grease. Every season tighten the nut a little to pack grease back into the bearings, once the nut is bottomed out it's time to repack.
Personally I suggest you throw those out in favor of the new style BB's. The new ones keep the hub packed better, and do a better job of keeping water out of the hub as they can keep a slight amount of pressure in the hub.
That make sense. More than just pumping grease into the front an hoping it finds it's way into the bearings. Still doesn't make more sense than having the zerk on the spindle, but what do I know.:)sphss

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just went out and looked at them again. Actually on these it looks like when i drive the wing nut all the way down it pulls the plunger in (away from the bearings). My guess here is that i drive it all the way in, fill the thing with grease and then loosen the wing nut so that the springs pressure can force the grease into the bearings.

If i press the plunger away from the bearing with the wing nut all the way out, the plunger is spring loaded and wants to return (wants to press greese into the bearing). Maybe this isnt really a bearing buddy but some knock off? I dunno, it's gotta be better than the stock dust caps so i'll just run them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts