Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Oh hell . you got atleast another 100.000 miles left in those , Slap some gear lube in the engine and your set!:)sphss

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
That will buff out.....:D

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bet the crank looks just as good...run it!:)devil
The crank was a extremely rare forged steel 455 Olds crank, very difficult to find. I was stoked to see it in there because I figured since it was forged steel it would've been "too hard" for it to not be "turnable". Unfortunately the crank was cracked. :)st

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
The crank was a extremely rare forged steel 455 Olds crank, very difficult to find. I was stoked to see it in there because I figured since it was forged steel it would've been "too hard" for it to not be "turnable". Unfortunately the crank was cracked. :)st
I know a guy who has a real peachy one... just waiting a for a good home.:D

How bad is it cracked? Just one journal or all or????

Dennis can grind, weld, and then grind it to size. I wouldn't waste my time on that for a cast or something common like a small block... but have had it done to a couple of times to oddball cranks that were made from "unobtainum".

I'm sure you already know this though.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know a guy who has a real peachy one... just waiting a for a good home.:D

How bad is it cracked? Just one journal or all or????

Dennis can grind, weld, and then grind it to size. I wouldn't waste my time on that for a cast or something common like a small block... but have had it done to a couple of times to oddball cranks that were made from "unobtainum".

I'm sure you already know this though.
I might have to get ahold of that guy to buy that crank, I'm not sure yet. I don't know yet how bad it's cracked, I haven't gotten it back into my hands yet. But I wasn't aware that a cracked crank (ouch) could be fixed. That Olds forged steel crank should be worth a small mint if it were useable.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
I might have to get ahold of that guy to buy that crank, I'm not sure yet. I don't know yet how bad it's cracked, I haven't gotten it back into my hands yet. But I wasn't aware that a cracked crank (ouch) could be fixed. That Olds forged steel crank should be worth a small mint if it were useable.

Don't know about a small mint... being that you can buy new cranks these days, but some resto olds nut would surely pay enough to make it worth your time for a genuine steel olds crank.

Welded cranks ain't all that cool these days... new cranks are too cheap to be messin' with broken ones (in the last 3 months I have thrown away and replaced 5 big block steel cranks that were busted or spun badly), but like I said, you have an oddball or really expensive one... it's worth a shot. Heck... back in the day, a welded stroker was about the only way you could get a stroker crankshaft without going with small rod journals or an expensive billet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts