Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering what my options for bellhousings are.

I need a bellhousing for a SBC to fit a top mount starter. The engine is mounted with motor plated, so I do NOT need the bellhousing to do anything other than cover the flexplate and hold the starter. Also, my motor plate is about 3/8" thick; so I need that factored in for the starter spacing.

Ideally, it'd also use the driveline cover I already have.

What are my options?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering what my options for bellhousings are. I need a bellhousing for a SBC to fit a top mount starter. The engine is mounted with motor plated, so I do NOT need the bellhousing to do anything other than cover the flexplate and hold the starter. Also, my motor plate is about 3/8" thick; so I need that factored in for the starter spacing. Ideally, it'd also use the driveline cover I already have. What are my options?
good luck with that!...i personally have never seen one for a SBC...maybe the SBC gang has one laying around or suggestions :)...just sayin' FastRat

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe SBC and BBC would use the same bellhousing/starter, wouldn't they?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Maybe there are different types of set ups. With my top mount deal the bellhousing didnt suport the starter at all. There was a seperate starter stand that had to 1/2" bolts(i think) and one smaller bolt kind of on top...was a lightning set up. The back plate was 1/2" thick and threaded for the starter stand bolts...if that makes sense.

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe there are different types of set ups. With my top mount deal the bellhousing didnt suport the starter at all. There was a seperate starter stand that had to 1/2" bolts(i think) and one smaller bolt kind of on top...was a lightning set up. The back plate was 1/2" thick and threaded for the starter stand bolts...if that makes sense.
Do you have any pics of your Lightning setup?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I believe SBC and BBC would use the same bellhousing/starter, wouldn't they?
i dont know for sure, but, if thats the case, there are a couple of top mount starter bellhouseings for sale in the Parts Forum...just do a search & take a look at them :)...just sayin' FastRat

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Do you have any pics of your Lightning setup?
I will se if I can find an old one an edit a pic in....dont have it anymore. I got frustrated with the inability to shim away(up and down) like you have with a bottom mount. Was always too tight.....put on some offset dowles and got it perfect.....then replaced my flexplate after that and it was too loose...then I gave.:)sphss In hindsight....aparently if I would have replaced the flexplate 1st I probably would have been golden. I had some issues with a certain top mount starter company also....but thats another story.
Starter stand.jpg
ski tow.jpg
This is what a starter stand looks like...just dug this out of a corner of my garage.lol
Another reason I 86'd mine was for clearance. After I glassed my transom back in from the guy before me....I barely have an inch for my ski tow. =)

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After some research, it appears that none of the bellhousing with top mount starter provisions are designed to work with a motor plate, except Lightning's which uses their motor plate. Does anyone know if there is one that will work with a 3/8" thick motor plate?

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, could anyone help me out with a measurement? What is the distance between the bellhousing "face" of the block and the front of the flywheel on a SBC or BBC? I'm asking because the flexplate of my LS1 is dished compared to a traditional SBC flexplate - so I'm wondering if there are going to be some differences in trying to get a top mount to fit correctly. If you are running a motor plate, I'd be happy with the distance of the motor plate to the flexplate plus the thickness of your motor plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts