Performance Boats Forum banner

Belt drive fuel pump question

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  motormonkey 
#1 ·
I have a 6.0LS in my jet boat that has a belly tank. Ive tried several different electric fuel pumps with varying degrees of success. The electrics work fine when primed, but they are a real pain to get primed if you run out of/low on gas or if the boat has sat for more than a day. When I ran SBC or BBC w/ mechanical pump in this boat I never had a problem.

So my question is: will a belt drive fuel pump like aeromotive 17140 draw fuel from below as well as a standard mechanical diaphragm pump? Are there any pitfalls to running a belt driven fuel pump? I would really hate to drop $500 and still have the same problems. Any better ideas?

#3 ·
Just guessing here but i don't think ls motor comes with a mechanical pump, or a place to bolt it to or a lobe on the cam.

#5 ·
Just guessing here but i don't think ls motor comes with a mechanical pump, or a place to bolt it to or a lobe on the cam.
:)bulb

I forget who did it, there was a thread a long while back about this. Some electric pumps are fully submersible. Mounting one inside the fuel cell will certainly solve any priming issues... I would assume.

Example: Aeromotive A1000 FUEL PUMP

#6 · (Edited)
From what I understand, belt drive pumps pull really well as long as their primed. Many drag cars run a rear fuel tank down to 1.2 60'. Biggest problem with them is the cold start, where many people add an electric just for that purpose. Some have also added check valves with varying degrees of success.

#8 · (Edited)
When I ran my river runner on blown gas carbs, I used the exact setup.
I actually pressed a gilmer pulley on the jet ... u joint holder thing... wtf is that called? YOLK... is that it? Then made a bracket that clamped around my jet pmp. The pump holder bolted to this bracket. Belt, bingo. I used a mechanical regulator with a return to the tank.
Worked without fail.
BTW, I'm sure this is bad (spamming or something) but I have a pump, and belt drive adapter I'd make a smokin deal on.
Wags

#9 · (Edited)
there is no mechanical pump provision on an LS . Its an aluminum tank, slight v in it that matches the hull and flat across the top. Only about 7 inches deep in the middle. I hadnt really considered in tank mounting. So i guess a belt drive wouldnt self prime either? Thats pretty much the problem i already have

wags, sending you a pm

#11 ·
I have a 6.0LS in my jet boat that has a belly tank. Ive tried several different electric fuel pumps with varying degrees of success. The electrics work fine when primed, but they are a real pain to get primed if you run out of/low on gas or if the boat has sat for more than a day. When I ran SBC or BBC w/ mechanical pump in this boat I never had a problem.

You weren't using a fine micron filter before the pumps that failed were you ?

Where do you have the return line terminating ?

Do you have a section of line from the pick-up tube that is higher than the fuel pump ?

Have you checked your vent for blockage or incorrect sizing ?

#13 ·
check out the other thread here by Unchained today..... put a submersable electric pump
in your tank, and forget about it. (he makes around 2000hp, so it should work fine for you
too):p:D

#17 ·
I use two Enderle pumps, one driven by the cam to provide fuel for the engine, the other belt driven to draw fuel from the side tanks to the smaller center tank, that provides fuel to the first pump. I do this simply because I need the additional fuel to allow me to drive on the river. Never had any issues with the belt driven pump loosing prime or any other problems for that matter with the belt drive. I hope this makes sense, I'll post a pic to show what I'm talking about.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.