Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which are better and why.... Comp Cams, Jesel, Xceldyne??? thaughts and opinions...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
There is a no contest winner here. The Xceldyne. With the ceramic front bearing and seal assembly, balanced hub, o-ring cover, and easy end play set up, it is the ultimate set up.It is also the most expen$ive. I perfer the Comp over the Jesel because of the ease in setting up the end play, and and the fact that it uses an idler for line bored blocks.

Word of caution! If this isn't a drag only deal, don't do it. Either use a chain, or a Milodon gear drive. The belt is not endurance friendly. And when the belt goes, it goes now!!. A chain will stretch, the belt just fails. Catastophically, no warning. Looks good one minute, shredded the next.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
441 Posts
wow. Ive got some time on my jesell belt, Should I change them after each season? No wear indication, they just fail? I do know they have a Kevlar version.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
For the price of the belts just replace it frequently, not worth taking a chance. The White rhino belt is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
does the same belt fit the jesel and comp setup or do you need to get the belt from the manufacturer ?

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Well chit:)sphss ... I just bought a comp belt drive for the 540 cause it waz supposed to be the "chit":D .... I knew I should have went with the chain ... What kind of use will I get out of the belt before a change is needed ?? Or just change it out every season :)grn

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Anybody happen to know how often you have to change these belts on a lake boat ??

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Anybody happen to know how often you have to change these belts on a lake boat ??
Depends on the hours and the use. You're not going to have a ton of spring pressure or rpm, so you could conceivably get a season out of a belt. I'd change it every year and keep an eye on it.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Tech line at Jesel told me, not for street use or constant driving.
suggested if I ran one to change the belt at least once during the season:)bulb

So I went with the chain

·
Registered
441 Posts
Depends on the hours and the use. You're not going to have a ton of spring pressure or rpm, so you could conceivably get a season out of a belt. I'd change it every year and keep an eye on it.
Regarding the jesel belt, would the black be seasonal and the white more than one season. we don't have long summer up here. Open engine compartment.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What's the reason for the big difference in longevity between these aftermarket performance beltdrives, and OEM beltdrives on shitboxes? Is it just the high spring pressure or is there more to it. Not that there would be a reason to, but if someone installed one on a stock 454 would it then last... like a POS Civic?

·
Frst Round Runnerup
334 Posts
Tech line at Jesel told me, not for street use or constant driving.
suggested if I ran one to change the belt at least once during the season:)bulb

So I went with the chain
Back when I first bought my Jesel,(early 90s) Jesel tech folks told me "Buy a spare, change it at the end of the first season, keep your original and you will never need another one". Based on this I ran one for 9 seasons and it did get oil on it more than once.:))eek:)) Then I read on here that this is impossible so I ran out and bought a new one. Not suggesting this to anyone, just my personal experience.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Well chit:)sphss ... I just bought a comp belt drive for the 540 cause it waz supposed to be the "chit":D .... I knew I should have went with the chain ... What kind of use will I get out of the belt before a change is needed ?? Or just change it out every season :)grn
let me know if your gonna get rid of the belt drive...BTW..saw your heads the other day...looking good...:D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
What's the reason for the big difference in longevity between these aftermarket performance beltdrives, and OEM beltdrives on shitboxes? Is it just the high spring pressure or is there more to it. Not that there would be a reason to, but if someone installed one on a stock 454 would it then last... like a POS Civic?
spring pressure, RPM, and the length of the belt. Think about the amount of belt doing nothing between pulleys in a Civic. In the total length of the belt, maybe 15% is doing anything at any given moment. Divide the belt teeth by the pulley teeth and you get some idea of the ratio, compared to a cam in block setup. The belt on a V8 is just abused. look at blower belts. They transmit considerably more power, at a higher RPM and last for years. But look at the size.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
939 Posts
belts

Scaring me. I have the Jesel system since 98, and still have the original belt in it. And I have run the boat hard for many years. Does not seem to have any damage or stretch to it. Check it all the time.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The paper work with my Comp belt drives says that it is far more durable than a chain or gears. How many f these have you guys witnessed to fail? Because I havent. It sure would f-ck some stuff up if it did though.:)hammers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts