Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,625 Posts
Insurance liability out.

S CP :D
Pretty much.

That and the chart pretty much dates from the beginning of Berkley pumps, circa LATE 1960's.
How many "over 500HP" boat engines did you see in the early 1970's?
Damn few (except in "vessels" measured in gross tonnage, not feet).

·
NW Spectraholic
565 Posts
I don't see that motor having 500 hp (maybe 500 ft lbs), especially if mine which is almost the exact same thing is only doing 400. The 280 comp right in the book says it's only good for 370 in a car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't see that motor having 500 hp (maybe 500 ft lbs), especially if mine which is almost the exact same thing is only doing 400. The 280 comp right in the book says it's only good for 370 in a car.
i dont know but my engine came stock with 390 horse.
i added higher compression
i added a bigger cam
i added a performer intake
i blocked off the heat riser ports in the heads
a performance carb

i have always told people i have 450 horse( just a guess) based on stock horse power vs my upgrades!

as for my question, can i say(truthfully) that i am pushin 500 horse??
that is because i am under the impression that a jet pump is a water dyno??

i am all ears????

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
so if i am spinin a berk "A" impeller in a brand new tight pump at 5200-5300 rpms, it would be safe to say that i am pumpin over 500 horse????????

No. By the Berkeley chart, you are in the 450-475 range. This assumes the pump is fully loaded. I believe the chart posted by [email protected] is for Aggressor impellers. Could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure it's not for Berkeley impellers.(each brand is different)

·
Strap on the JATO
281 Posts
How many different brand impellers are there? The reason I ask is
my AA I took to CP performance had to be cut down at the nose
to take up the gap down to .035 a good amount. CP said it wasn't
even a Berk Impeller? It was powder coated white........ Any ideas??

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
Eric, as far as I know there's Berkeley, American Turbine, Aggressor, Precision Jet Drive and Heritage. There used to be Legend but they've gone out of business.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
anyone have a high hp AA AAA chart?
Are you looking for this:

This chart was about spot on with my old American Turbine 9.25" AA it would be like an AAA on this chart, turned down to an A it was like an AA on the chart. The Legend AA was was right on too, both with the dyno numbers. The "mild" 565 made 802 hp at 6,000 corrected and 759 hp observed w/ 84* carb air temp it turned the Legend AA at 5,800. 5,800 on the dyno was observed at 743 hp That's pretty close on the chart but a fully prepared race impeller may not perform the same as the graph shows.

That same Legend AA stainless impeller mentioned was sent to MPD and re-worked it's now a "B" cut but absorbs power like an A+ on the chart. On a good day the now " not so mild 565" pulls that B cut to 6,200 ( 820 hp on the chart and so happens to be 825 observed hp on the dyno. 896 corrected)

The charts help out if you know enough about them and your engine.

S CP :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.