Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are pictures of my Berk Pump. Each one is of a different fin. To me they look kinda beat up but I don't have too much to compare to other than pictures of new ones. Engine is still out and I'm leaning more towards pulling this out right now and rebuilding it, but can't get the proper motivation to do the job. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Just have the impeller blades cleaned up, no biggie. No need to buy a new impeller. Jack at MPD cleaned up an impeller for me that hit a rock bar last summer. He did an awesome job on it. It was way worse than the pictures above.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Motor is out your half way there..........Do it!:D

This.... Pull the bowl and check the impeller/ring.. You wont know till you pull it out.. Rebuild kits with rings are around 200 bucks from any of the site sponsors. I shipped my impeller to HTP and my shaft and bearings to JBP. They cleaned up my stuff and my pump runs worlds better now.

If the engine is out the rest is a no brainer, not to mention its only dec. So plenty of time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
So if the bowl has any edges that have small dings they need to be smoothed also?

I think it would depend. But if one was to pull their bowl and take/post pictures the people in the know would speak up with what needed to be done.

But until you pull it and post picks its all speculation aint it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So if the bowl has any edges that have small dings they need to be smoothed also?
Likely on any given bowl with some minor "dings and divots", you can "work" the edges with a diegrinder and file. I would agree the impeller above looks pretty grim (especially with the inequity of the leading edges of the blades) , some work cleaning up and indexing the blades may net you some more time out of it but honestly for the price of a new or "reconditioned" impeller I'm not sure I wouldspend the time or the $ to resurrect particular one that one just my 02 ...Tom

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it would depend. But if one was to pull their bowl and take/post pictures the people in the know would speak up with what needed to be done.

But until you pull it and post picks its all speculation aint it.
Yeah, was just wondering as a general rule what to look for. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no clue on the clearance. Havn't checked anything out other than pulling the inspection hatch.

Given the responses and PM's, it looks like I'll probably be pulling this thing sometime this week. We'll see how it works out.

What does one of the pumps weigh anyways?:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yeah, was just wondering as a general rule what to look for. :)
See toms responce above :)

I have no clue on the clearance. Havn't checked anything out other than pulling the inspection hatch.​

Given the responses and PM's, it looks like I'll probably be pulling this thing sometime this week. We'll see how it works out.​

What does one of the pumps weigh anyways?:D

Why pull the whole pump. Just pull the bowl impeller and shaft and impeller, they are pretty light.

then post pics of everything and you will get some good opinions. Then its just a matter of fixing or replacing.

one good peice of advice. DO NOT buy a rebuild kit until you have decided on what do do with your old impeller. If they are going to resurface it then the ring on the rebuild kit will not be standard. Ask me how i know.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
i would do something about it, a rebuild or new, with the bowl though do it your self. you sould have seen mine we and the metal grate go though the impeller. it was beat.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Why pull the whole pump. Just pull the bowl impeller and shaft and impeller, they are pretty light.

then post pics of everything and you will get some good opinions. Then its just a matter of fixing or replacing.

one good peice of advice. DO NOT buy a rebuild kit until you have decided on what do do with your old impeller. If they are going to resurface it then the ring on the rebuild kit will not be standard. Ask me how i know.
It's a 12 JG with the inspection hole inside the boat so think I have to pull everything off except the inner part that bolts to the suction right? So the bowl and back including the large plate that bolts to the transom and says "Berkley" accross the top.

I'll definately post pictures when I get it all apart. I photo pretty much anything I do on it so I can reference what I did later on anyways.

Thanks again for the reponses in here and the PM's.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think I have to pull everything off except the inner part that bolts to the suction right? So the bowl and back including the large plate that bolts to the transom and says "Berkley" accross the top.

I'll definately post pictures when I get it all apart. I photo pretty much anything I do on it so I can reference what I did later on anyways.

Pull the cables loose and remove your steering , take all the screws loose that hold the transom adaptor to the boat the "relieve" the silicone surrounding the bowl and the boat with a razor knife or ?? , once done pry the transom adaptor (thing that says Berkeley) away from the boat and the bowl. Then remove the 8 large (3/4) bolts that hold the bowl to the suction piece (this is assuming your simply wanting to pull the bowl) This will only let you service the impeller or the bowl, Frankly I would pull the jet out Call me if you need help (check PM for cell) Happy to help Tom

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It's a 12 JG with the inspection hole inside the boat so think I have to pull everything off except the inner part that bolts to the suction right? So the bowl and back including the large plate that bolts to the transom and says "Berkley" accross the top.

your right. sorry.. I forget not everyone has a pump with the inspection hole on the ouside. It sounds like from Toms discription you need to take that plate off as well.. As to also taking off the suction houseing, i just could not say and would take Toms advice.

I personally did not take off my suction houseing but i got a JE pump and its all kinds of screwed up to get off of that boat and back on again.

good luck and post lots of pictures.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts

leading edges as dinged up and rounded as yours are, are a recipe for cavitation. i'd pull the pump, take it or ship it to someone that knows what they're doing, like mpd, to clean the whole thing up and make sure everything is right and assembled correctly.
it's one thing to take a pump apart and put it back together. it's another thing to take a pump apart, check for every deficiency, correct all the issues and reassemble a pump that's within spec.
pump weighs somewhere between 75-100, depending what's in it and on it. takes me about an hour to remove mine, but i'm slow taking my time...

·
Registered
546 Posts
leading edges as dinged up and rounded as yours are, are a recipe for cavitation. i'd pull the pump, take it or ship it to someone that knows what they're doing, like mpd, to clean the whole thing up and make sure everything is right and assembled correctly.
it's one thing to take a pump apart and put it back together. it's another thing to take a pump apart, check for every deficiency, correct all the issues and reassemble a pump that's within spec.
pump weighs somewhere between 75-100, depending what's in it and on it. takes me about an hour to remove mine, but i'm slow taking my time...
imo good advice, x2

1 - 20 of 74 Posts