Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

First post here, but I’ve relied on the info from this forum countless times. Really appreciate the community y’all have created.

I have a 1973 Spectra 18’ jet boat I picked up for $500 on Craigslist. I’ve been struggling through getting it back on the water. This is the first boat I’ve ever owned.

After finally getting it running, thanks to a lot of help from the 460ford forum, I noticed there is a pretty loud clunking noise coming from the driveline (I think). It seems to vary with RPM.

I did some research and it seems like there are a few possible causes. My guess is U-joints, but I thought maybe an expert might be able to quickly identify the cause and save me several hours of troubleshooting.

Here’s a video of the noise: Video

Any ideas? Any help at all would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like u-joints.
Probably 1310 units. X2.
Have you inspected the pump? Rocks?
With the motor out (or at least moved forward) the front bearing in the pump would be easy to check.
Good luck and don't give up!

Dan'l

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the advice!

Looks like I can pick up the Spicer 5-1310X joints on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price. I’ll order 2 and give it a shot.

Do I need to pull the motor to get the driveshaft out? From what I can tell one side bolts on and the other slides onto the pump splines. If the motor has to come out, I’ll probably plan to do some additional upgrades at the same time.

There’s no rocks that I can tell, but I’ll double check. That sounds like it would be a much easier fix :D

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts