Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12JG berkeley and pulled the two plugs on top of the bowl to ad recomended 90 wt to it, and according to most discussions I've read... the oil should come out the oposite hole when full! but it never did that.. it just started to drip out of a small hole on the underside/bottom of the bowl, I put almost a quart in and about a half pint dripped out of that hole and it quit. does this indicate some sort of a seal problem in the bowl because it didn't just come out of the oposite hole, or is that normal to seap out the bottom hole when full? Thanks

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a 12JG berkeley and pulled the two plugs on top of the bowl to ad recomended 90 wt to it, and according to most discussions I've read... the oil should come out the oposite hole when full! but it never did that.. it just started to drip out of a small hole on the underside/bottom of the bowl, I put almost a quart in and about a half pint dripped out of that hole and it quit. does this indicate some sort of a seal problem in the bowl because it didn't just come out of the oposite hole, or is that normal to seap out the bottom hole when full? Thanks
I don't think there is a problem with the seal, I think it's missing...Those bowls only hold a few ounces of gear oil....

IMHO the bowl needs to come off to investigate the issue.

Dont put the boat in the water, you will make a Valdez sized oil slick.:)bulb

GT :)hand

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Where exactly is this hole located on the bottom of the bowl that the oil is dripping out of?
Like GT said, don't run it until you find out what's going on here.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Not factory IMHO...Someone drilled a hole to drain the bowl...I have seen this before but normally a threaded hole where they install a set screw to act as a plug...

I see it mostly in the Northwest, I guess because of freezing...You could remove that bowl in under an hour and it would only cost you a new bowl gasket and your time to get to the bottom of your issue.

Cheap insurance.

GT :)hand

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Quite possible some that bowl had a cable "anchor" for a "clandestine trim system" at on time or another or perhaps someone simply created a "bowl drain" but not "factory" I'd just fab up a plug for it and call it good.. Tom

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That's why I wanted a picture; I knew something didn't sound right here! Thanks! Just repair the seal and plug the hole x 3. Duane HTP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts