Performance Boats Forum banner

Berkeley JB info

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  schick 
#1 ·
What is the difference between the JB and JG suction piece and bowl. I understand that the JB is the first edition of the split bowl. Is the JB a poor performing bowl? How do they rate against a modified Old style Dominator (enlarged exit)? Thanks for looking, any info is appreciated, schick.

#2 ·
Shick, The first generation Berkeley split bowl works just fine. There are a few differences between it and the G bowl. First, on the large end of the B bowl the flange ( where the bolts thread into) is not near as long as the G bowl. The G bowl was beefed up in this area to approx 1.750" long from .750" On the back side of the bowl (outlet end) the vanes on the G bowl continue farther out, than the B bowl, almost even with the outlet flange. You can tell the B bowl by the distance between the oil plugs. They are much closer together than the next generation G bowl at approx 3.5" on center. The new generation G bowls are longer than both of these bowls on the outlet end and are noticably different. The newer design brings the bowl veins even farther rearward in an attempt to straighten out the water stream before it enters the nozzle assembly. The vein leading edges on the inlet side of these bowls are also shaped differenly. In the average application I believe that the B bowl would work just fine for most jet boaters. The G bowl is stronger and has a slightly longer vein and may perform better in higher HP applications. The new generation bowls are the best for all out performance. Berkeley, A/t and Aggressor all utilize the longer designs. I believe that Aggressor has the longest bowl of all. Hope this answers your Q's . Jim :)bulb

#5 · (Edited)
Here is my Berkeley "A" early split bowl I purchased from Tom @JBP. It was in excellent condition for being as old as it is......still had the factory flow coat inside the vanes mostly intact. I sanded and repainted the exterior with white appliance epoxy (tuff stuff!) I Changed it from a one piece "C" bowl while I had the pump out for an overhaul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.