Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to a Berkeley Jet. Basically the Plugs on the bowl need to be removed and gear oil need to be pumped in until it goes out the other plug? How much does it hold? And of course the Zerk on top of the pump by the spec plate needs to be greased.....is that it or am I wrong......

Craig

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That just about does it. I can't remember off hand how much oil but I don't think it takes a full qt or 90 wt.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
Not exactly sure how much oil it actually holds, but yeah... put it in one side till it comes out the other... You pretty much covered it. Far as the grease fitting goes, I usually give mine a couple pumps of the grease gun before a trip to the water.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
fill from the lowest plug and let air escape out the higher plug. i forget how much they hold, been awhile since i've had a lubed bowl, i've just always filled till it puked out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
pull a vacuum leakdown test or leave the plugs out for a hr or two and verify that the lube level stays the same to see if the bowl seal is still good. if the seal is shot the lube can leak into the lower portion of the bowl.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
fill from the lowest plug and let air escape out the higher plug. i forget how much they hold, been awhile since i've had a lubed bowl, i've just always filled till it puked out.
Are the plugs at different heights? I never paid that much attention. I fill mine from the right side hole, cuz the steering cable kind of gets in the way of the bottle on the other side...

Fill & puke.... Like a long night at the bar.... :p

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Are the plugs at different heights? I never paid that much attention. I fill mine from the right side hole, cuz the steering cable kind of gets in the way of the bottle on the other side...

not by much, but there's alil difference, more in other boats cause how the intake sets.

fill and puke is what happens everytime i decide i wanna get drunk, there's no "feeling good and stopping" for this guy:)hand:)sphss:)sphss

·
Registered
546 Posts
possibly making reference to the bowls if they were used with the old jetovators they were phased 90 degrees of rotation so the plugs were more like 7 -11 oclock insteadof 10 and 2 normal. imo.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
For the thrust bearing grease you'll wanna run an "extreme pressure" grease. Sta-Lube is one brand of it. But the grease is red in color.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
possibly making reference to the bowls if they were used with the old jetovators they were phased 90 degrees of rotation so the plugs were more like 7 -11 oclock insteadof 10 and 2 normal. imo.
yall might be right, i just thought i remembered them being a 1/4 in higher from 1 side to the other, i'll look at my boat tonite, its gotta berk split bowl on it.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
not by much, but there's alil difference, more in other boats cause how the intake sets.

fill and puke is what happens everytime i decide i wanna get drunk, there's no "feeling good and stopping" for this guy:)hand:)sphss:)sphss
Give me a good reason to pull the cover off & check it out over a beer or 7. :D

Haha, I hear ya, kinda like what was it somebody said teh other day? "Balls out or get out".... :p

Good call by JohnRay too, didn't think about the bowl bein clocked for a Jet-O-Vator. Marty's was like that on his daycruiser... :)bulb

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i got the exact same pump. the ports are level towards each other. Just pump it in on one side till it flows out the other.

·
Idaho Jet
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Berkeley Greasing issues...

I guess my seal might be leaking. I have a residue of oil in the pump...Or is that normal...

Craig

Note-90w for the gear oil??

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

Mine were level in my F pump, and 90 wt is fine, I used to run 85w-140 simply because it is what I had here for stick shifts and differentials already.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I guess my seal might be leaking. I have a residue of oil in the pump...Or is that normal...

Craig

Note-90w for the gear oil??

Depends.. on wear it came from.. I would fill that bad boy up and come back in a day or two and see if its still topped off...

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
70/80 or 90 wt , if you want to get fancy use Red Line "Shock proof" (use it in v-drives) Most likely leak is a damaged or "fowled' shaft seal, worse case worn shaft and /or worn tailshaft and tailshaft bushings , non too har to fix or very expensive fill it , let it set or use it and check for tell tale leakage near the exit nozzel call if we can help (rear seal is a few bucks) Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts