Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
can I use regular 85-90 Valvoline gear oil in the Bowl ,im out of the hypoid 90 ,will mixing oils hurt.Thanks
Yep.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
how much oil do you put in, i also heard that running grease instead is better then oil .... any thoughts :)bulb :)bulb
My pump guy, Jim Coffey at Performance Jet, would disagree with you. He prefers the oil bath over grease (he explained it to me once quite awhile back, but can't remember at the moment as to why).

I run grease in my bowl, but it's an American Turbine bowl and it came out of the box set up with a grease zerk in the hub of the bowl, so that's what I run.

On a Berkeley bowl there should be two removeable plugs on it. One is the fill hole and the other is the check hole. Pull both plugs and fill through one of them until it runs out of the other. You may have to do this a few times to get the air out, but once it's full, any attempt to get more in will cause it to run out the other plug hole. Once full, reinstall the plugs.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
JBP as well as other builders (I suspect and belive) now use a PTFE coated Garlock and DU "self lubricating" type bushings which will actually run with grease ,water ,oil or can even run "dry" :)bulb . In a "clean water" environment we run a number of jets with no bowl seal or "butt plug" with good results (water only) , guys that deal with alot of sand and /or glacier silt have to deal abrasive issues ,probably not a good idea . From a "puritanical" stand point we like to keep Berks "oil lubed " when possible , AT Dom with grease lubed , Older Doms water lubed . Only real down side to "greasing" a Berk bowl IMO is that once done your sort of stuck with it (huge cavity chock full of nasty grease around the brgs ) Just my 02 Tom

·
Jet boat service
119 Posts
One of the problems I have with using grease in a Berkeley bowl is that the seal is not clipped in the housing. You grease it up and usually the seal will pop out of its bore. I just think an an oil bath lubricates better than grease anyway. It will also help keep the bearings cleaner IMO. I don't believe that the grease will saturate the tail of the shaft and the bearings as readily as the oil will. I also don't think that mixing a little 80/90 weight with Hypoid 90 will hurt anything... As Tom stated, the DU bushings are pretty tough and will work good either way. Heck, in half the Jets I rebuild the seal is shot and the bearings were living in water anyway. I just took my own jet apart to replace the thrust bearing when I detected a slight humm last summer. Needless to say I havn't been boating this year . I need to change that.... Anyway, The bowl seal was still good , oil was full and the shaft was like brand new. I built the jet 16 years ago. Man, time flies... This will be the last build for myself I would think........ Jim ;)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,625 Posts
I'm running a rebuilt pump (Berkeley JE) for the first time can I start and stay will amzoil 75w-90 or should I run that hypoid 90 everyone talks about?
Not going to make a bit of difference.

Hypoid oil is for a hypoid gear setup in a differential.
There's not a single solitary gear in a Berk jet bowl, just 2 sleeve bearings.

Won't matter which kind you run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.