Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be putting a car system together shortly and I have been out of the loop for awhile.

Back in the day you could get a Fosgate,Soundstream,orion or JBL for a good price and it would make all the power it stated and more for a fair price.

What is the hot ticket these days? (bang for buck):)devil:)hand

·
Registered
773 Posts
I dont know if they are the hot ticket or not but they do get HOT!

I vote for Hifonics. I believe JBL is another decent one.

Check out the SoundDomain forums if you have time. Those guys seem pretty good at bang for the buck! I haven't been there for a while but it should be a good place for info.

·
Registered
773 Posts
pdx for highs and jl for lows IMO...

I think there is a thread in here saying the pdx amps are good as well. How are the lower end JL amps compared to the slash series? Bang for the buck?

Corn, do you do the river also or just the desert? I need to find out when those bastards that tp'd Rockys moho are going to need some help, I mean are going to do it again, I heard paybacks a bitch. :D

At least it sounded something like that thru all the slurring!:D

·
Slow Learner
909 Posts
I think there is a thread in here saying the pdx amps are good as well. How are the lower end JL amps compared to the slash series? Bang for the buck?

Corn, do you do the river also or just the desert? I need to find out when those bastards that tp'd Rockys moho are going to need some help, I mean are going to do it again, I heard paybacks a bitch. :D

At least it sounded something like that thru all the slurring!:D
Yeah, were at the River also... We will be out this weekend, but don't know if we will launch or not. Then I'm back for 4 days for Desert Storm.

Bang for the buck, hard to say as that depends on the person, but they are definately not the most expensive amps. I originally had a JL 300/4 for the highs and went through 3 of them in about a month. Dumped it for a pdx 4.150 and have had no problems since (knock on wood). I kept the JL 1000/1 for the subs and that has been great..

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Bobaloo, Let me know what you end up with! as I have been researching the sub upgrade also...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've got PDX amps and so far they have been great.I also have 1000 watt
Memphis for my Sub and so far it hasn't let me down.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Bobaloo, Let me know what you end up with! as I have been researching the sub upgrade also...
I've got it all figured out now:D

Memphis is the brand I heard alot about on Sounddomain. They like those amps over there but I've never heard or seen one.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Memphis is the brand I heard alot about on Sounddomain. They like those amps over there but I've never heard or seen one.
Bobby you have heard my new boat.:)bulb Maybe not like Matts but cranks none the less.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts

Memphis is the brand I heard alot about on Sounddomain. They like those amps over there but I've never heard or seen one.[/QUOTE]

Bobby you have heard my new boat.:)bulb Maybe not like Matts but cranks none the less.
It was pounding pretty hard Sunday in the channel for sure!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am one sub amp down. It went into protection mode last time we were out. I am going to have to run one sub amp instead of two to get through Desert Storm until I can get it fixed. :mad:
Yeehaw, I've got a chance to win the stereo war with you!:D I've got the ghetto bass like the Eliminator had, and a couple more mids.

J/K, which amps did you put in there Matt, Phoenix Gold? I know everything else is Boston.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
Yeehaw, I've got a chance to win the stereo war with you!:D I've got the ghetto bass like the Eliminator had, and a couple more mids.

J/K, which amps did you put in there Matt, Phoenix Gold? I know everything else is Boston.

Yeah. The Xenon series which they don't make anymore. Now instead of 1200 watts to each sub they only get 600 watts. :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
I rep Phoenix Gold and the new Rsd amps are just as good or better than the Zenons and cheaper also. An Rsd 1200 watt amps should run about $500.00 to $600.00 retail depending on where you go.

The last batch of Zenons were good simply because they had to rebuild every one here in the US before they were sold. The manufacturer in Korea screwed them pretty good.

The Zenons were like the JL Slash amps in that they made 1200 watts from 4 to 1 ohm.

The Rsd amps make 1200 watts at 2 ohm only. They will run 1 ohm but I would not recommend it in a boat because the amp will run hotter and the power gained is not that much.

From what I have been told by my dealers the new black Hifonics amps are not as good as the older versions.

The JL amps are good bang but still really expensive and the A series JL's are not even close to the slash series amps. Same with the Alpine PDX. Memphis amps are good as well but not the cleanest. Kicker makes a ballsy amp at a good price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
not much for kicker but i would take RSD amps, those are nice.

orion (biased here) has the new cobalt amps and i've been testing these and make some decent power for CHEAP, in the boat disposable cheap power. i'm curious to see how the amps do after not being babied all summer and being around moistur. not marine stuff but i don't care, i'm testing and just trying to kill the gear. I also have it in my car and not as 'clean' as my pricier stuff but very impressive incredibly simple gear.

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
i to run two mephis 1000d amps in my denali 1 for each 15" and the beat the hell out of them and they have never shut down or went out been thru 2 pairs of 15's and still pumpin the same amps 5yrs later:)devil
my kicker junk hasnt let me down in the boat so i continue to use them..3 amps, 2 square 12's,4 6.5,and 4 6X9's, two summers no prob's..good luck there a lot of choices out there:)bulb

·
Steady Rollin
1,162 Posts
I vote for Elemental Designs.

All of their hardware is quality and a very solid deal.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
The quality and techonology across the board from all the big name companies is better every season. I've always had Fosgate in my personal stuff, I'm talking since high school I've been a Rockford fan, especially since they're made locally in Tempe. (they are probably made in China now)

JL has a new digital line out and they can be stacked on top of each other for a small footprint on the installation. Alpine's digital line is really nice. I've also heard some MTX systems of late that really blew my mind. The make some high end stuff all the way down to entry level stuff. My buddies shop sells Diamond Audio, I think that's some pretty decent stuff too. Too many choices for good products.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts