Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Baller on a Budget
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been an outboard guy and love my mach 22 with the 300 promax but I've always wanted a jet boat to go hold to wood throwin a roost. It would be my second boat since my current boat is set up for everyday lake use. I would like to find one that needs some work but all the parts are there. And something that I have a decent platform to put big horsepower in down the line. I know a little bit about jets just from friends having em and seeing what they have done. I already know that I want a BBC and Berkeley pump preferably split bowl. But what are the best riding and strongest hulls to look for in the 18-19' low budget range

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Gullwings are good hulls and forgiving.get tired of it then move into tunnels

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have always been an outboard guy and love my mach 22 with the 300 promax but I've always wanted a jet boat to go hold to wood throwin a roost. It would be my second boat since my current boat is set up for everyday lake use. I would like to find one that needs some work but all the parts are there. And something that I have a decent platform to put big horsepower in down the line. I know a little bit about jets just from friends having em and seeing what they have done. I already know that I want a BBC and Berkeley pump preferably split bowl. But what are the best riding and strongest hulls to look for in the 18-19' low budget range
Before you can choose your hull you're gonna have to get past the low budget part do to the fact you want to throw big HP to it. I like my Rogers and you could probably find something in the $5k to $6k range that will need some work. The plus here is they all have good bottoms.

I've never seen a low budget gullwing, good hull though. Not sure about other hulls.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Before you can choose your hull you're gonna have to get past the low budget part do to the fact you want to throw big HP to it. I like my Rogers and you could probably find something in the $5k to $6k range that will need some work. The plus here is they all have good bottoms.

I've never seen a low budget gullwing, good hull though. Not sure about other hulls.
X2 Rogers, Southwind TD, both are good and relatively safe! For the price they can be had for.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Before anybody can help you, define "low budget" & "big hp". Seriously. To one guy that's $3500 and 500hp. To another it may be $35k and 1500hp.

·
Baller on a Budget
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking something under $5k to start. Someday build a motor with around 700hp hopefully get close to or right at 100mph. Just a fast and quick boat for racing at the river

·
Registered
206 Posts
x3 on the rogers I love mine it handles great!! mine dont hit a 100 but it runs out pretty good at the top speed that will do anyway around 70mph. I thought I seen a bare rogers hull on here for sale not to long ago.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I personally would check several things. The hull should be crack free, I don't know the years the hulls where glassed/laid up but mine is a '79 and is crack free. There are more than a handfull of folks on this site that know plenty about the SST Sleek and can probably tell you all you want and need to know. The hulls have no stringers but structually designed that way. If you go BIG HP, stringers are recommended. I would recommend finding one with a Dominator or a Berkeley intake/pump though. Tom at JBP I'm told makes a BBC engine mounting/rail kit specific for the Sleekcraft SST's too. Send a pix of the one your looking at so we can all check her out!

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is it. BBF with about 15 hours on it. Said the Berkley started making noise. Probably going to see it this sunday. It is a 78 so thanks for the no stringer tip. Have the vdrive race fuel deal. Looking for something a little more marina friendly with friends.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts