Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my family wants to rent a houseboat next August and spend a week on a lake somewhere. I'm not up on what lakes have water and which ones don't and also where to rent a houseboat.

any recommendations? thanks!

mead, powell, havazoo?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
you might want to try either mead or powell.

i have been wanting to do this as well so i am interested in the responses.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you might want to try either mead or powell.

i have been wanting to do this as well so i am interested in the responses.
i'm debating whether or not to bring my boat along and tow it behind the houseboat. seen that done before. not sure how well my potato ship would hold up if it gets rough out there. guess i could retreat to the safety of a cove if it got real ugly.

am i delusional in thinking we could rent a phat houseboat with a slide from the roof and maybe a hot tub? lol

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
i'm debating whether or not to bring my boat along and tow it behind the houseboat. seen that done before. not sure how well my potato ship would hold up if it gets rough out there. guess i could retreat to the safety of a cove if it got real ugly.

am i delusional in thinking we could rent a phat houseboat with a slide from the roof and maybe a hot tub? lol
when we do it we are planning on pulling my boat behind.

are you going with just your family, or are you open to the idea of having some of your friends go as well. with having friends go, it can cut down on costs.

i entered some drawing at last years boat show (i dont remember entering anything:)sphss:D) but apparently i had won a weeks use of a houseboat on the lake of my choice. completely forgot about the expiration date and missed it by about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Nope, they do exist. Going to Mead in September on one like you describe. They aint cheap, but they are badass. Typically on the colorado river lakes the wind will kick up in the afternoon. You can use your boat to scope out a spot to travel to in the morning, get there before 12-1 pm with the little boat in tow and chill for the rest of the day. Find a place you like and you can stay there for a couple days.

·
Got Circus Midgets???
1,734 Posts
Hey Mike, check out www.windwalkerhb.com you'll want to talk to Keenan, I've worked with this guy before & he's pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, they do exist. Going to Mead in September on one like you describe. They aint cheap, but they are badass. Typically on the colorado river lakes the wind will kick up in the afternoon. You can use your boat to scope out a spot to travel to in the morning, get there before 12-1 pm with the little boat in tow and chill for the rest of the day. Find a place you like and you can stay there for a couple days.
ah now that's what i'm talking about.

now we just gotta pick a lake with nice beaches and places to explore. oh and hopefully its got enough water in it next august.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when we do it we are planning on pulling my boat behind.

are you going with just your family, or are you open to the idea of having some of your friends go as well. with having friends go, it can cut down on costs.

i entered some drawing at last years boat show (i dont remember entering anything:)sphss:D) but apparently i had won a weeks use of a houseboat on the lake of my choice. completely forgot about the expiration date and missed it by about 2 weeks.
it'll just be the fam. 10 of us total.

damn shame you missed out on the free houseboat.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
good info right there

it'll just be the fam. 10 of us total.

damn shame you missed out on the free houseboat.
it should be an awesome trip with just the family. good amount of people.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
We went out to Powell and to this day had the vacation of our life. 65' Admiral, with a slide off the back, I think bed seating for 12? Boat could be driven from inside or the top deck. Spent about $800 bucks in fuel though (it was about 1.50 a gallon then).

Also towed an 18' Shallow Baker hull... you'll never get over how cool it is to go through a canyon only 10 wider than the boat, with open headers. Went through a few storms while we were there and never had any problems, and the waterfall results from the storm were amazing. Mead will never compare to the colors and sights of powell. Granted most of the water is over 300ft deep and that sounds pretty scary at times. :)sphss

·
Got Circus Midgets???
1,734 Posts
i checked out the site. its a little confusing. are you buying an ownership share of the boat or renting it? it said sold out for every boat but the newest one.

Yea, it's a little confusing, from what I remember He gets people to put up the money to build the boats then those people split the time between the year. He makes his money on the service/maintenance & renting them when the families don't want to use them.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
what we do

every year in aug sept depending on days off we get with 7 crown resorts in mead rent the badest thing they have and disappear for about 5-7 days. i also pull my 23 ft laser behind it and head north east away from damn find a cove and party party. then we use the laser for beer food and ice runs when needed. kids have a blast with the slide and jumping off the upper deck. we do this with 5 couples only 2 of which have kids me being one of those 2. we split the cost of the rental and fuel 5 ways each couple is incharge of food for an asigned day breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks. each couple must by enough food for everyone for there assigned day. (keeps costs down and there is no confusion) this has been working for me for 4 years and everyone involved loves the set up. being on a buget sucks but everyday only one couple is put out. but if you draw the first day youve got the next 4 or 5 to do nothing but eat drink and sleep. its good times. we also do glamis the same way 5 trailers each trailer incharge of a dinner each night for everyone. its great and if you choose to do it like i do it i hope it works for whoever and have fun you wont regret it.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
add on

heading north east away from damn gets you out of the windy crap that could sink your shizz. i have personally see 5 ft days out there in the big part of the lake:))eek:))

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can't have a better vacation than a houseboat. We've done Powell 4 times, Mead once and Shasta once. I've got to say that Powell is still by far the best. Don't even think about not pulling your boat as well. You need a houseboat, ski boat and preferably a couple of waverunners. The big houseboats with all of the luxuries are great. We've done the Forever Resorts with all of the amenities. It was great. The basic ARA wasn't nearly as nice but it was still an awesome vacation. Plan on the 7 day trip. The 5 day is just too short. Plan on moving the boat once during the trip. That means find your first camp for 2-3 days and then move to your second camp for 2-3 days. Setting the houseboat is a half day adventure and a lot of work. You really don't want to spend your whole trip moving the houseboat.
There is nothing like watching the sun set on Powell with a drink in your hand after a day of tubing and skiing.....unless, it's getting up at 6 am and looking outside the boat at glass as far as you can see. Hoping in the ski boat or the jetskis and going for a speed run on pure glass!!!!! Then you come back, step off of your boat and have a great breakfast. It's a vacation that you will never forget!!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can't reiterate enough it can be a trip of a lifetime. We did 2 weeks and it wasn't long enough. :)devil I'm ready for another.
Bring a smaller craft, the houseboat we rented was so big we never noticed it was in tow. Figure about 5 mph avg speed cruising. Full throttle is about 7-8 and uses 2X the fuel. your also in charge of empting the waiste tanks so bring gloves and know where to unload. keep an eye out for that sight seeing ship... she throws a big wake. I could go on but the rest is your adventure. :D oh and keep an eye on the water levels.

·
Senior Expert
252 Posts
x2.

Go to Powell, it's worth the extra drive. I have seen the river from Yuma to Powell and there isn't a more amazing place on the river. No affense to Mead lovers but Powell beats it by a long shot. I have been twice, 60' house boat, towed a boat and seadoo behind it and it was no big deal. Powell is undescribable in writing on this forum. It will be a trip you and your family will remember for a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
We live near Mead and would never think about doing a houseboat there. It's Powell all the way. We've got two houseboat timeshares that we use every year. Our next one is less than 5 weeks away for 10 days. Like someone said above, each couple/family is assigned a day to cook for everyone, the other days you just hang out and wait for the dinner bell. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts