Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some copper exhaust gaskets from jegs for 25.99, that's as cheap as I can get the metal oe ones for a rect. port chevy. I dunno ..now that it's too late...what would you guys run? My passenger side bassett must be tweaked good. I'll try to edit in a pic or 2 when the camera charges. If the copper doesn't fly, what flavor silly cone do I use.... the redish orange high temp perma tack?? Yes I'm going to try the best to fix the warpage the best I can with the funds I have to work with(none but a file). I know this question isn't quite along the cerebral lines of the turbo thread:)sphss The silicone sounds great if it would work, it also sounds like a pia for as many times as I swap headers.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I just bought some copper exhaust gaskets from jegs for 25.99, that's as cheap as I can get the metal oe ones for a rect. port chevy. I dunno ..now that it's too late...what would you guys run? My passenger side bassett must be tweaked good. I'll try to edit in a pic or 2 when the camera charges. If the copper doesn't fly, what flavor silly cone do I use.... the redish orange high temp perma tack?? Yes I'm going to try the best to fix the warpage the best I can with the funds I have to work with(none but a file). I know this question isn't quite along the cerebral lines of the turbo thread:)sphss The silicone sounds great if it would work, it also sounds like a pia for as many times as I swap headers.
The redhi temp or the copper stuff will work. Don't even try the coppper gasket without some silicon. But don't think that the silicone is going to get you out of a badly warped header flange. The exhaust can blow that stuff out just as easy as standard header gasket material. Sometimes you are actually better off with 2 standard type gaskets on a warped flange. If you know there is a dip in the flange, like the center two ports, cut the flange to seperate it from the other pipes, it so that portion can pull down flat. Better than constantly blowing gaskets.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Although not cheap and only somewhat reusable, I always thought Earls pressure master were a pretty trick set of gaskets. I ran these style on my street car (aluminum heads and headers) no leaks and i never turned a wrench.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-29D04BERL/

......wow these have gone up in price($39.99) since '01, but if your chasing an annoying leak it may be worth it:)hand

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I may split he flange between cylinders. Here is a pic that shows the blow by. Keep in mind I used these gaskets.......alot.lol

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
on the subject of the above gaskets mentioned...can they be used with logs? or is there another way to go! :)

FastRat

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I may split he flange between cylinders. Here is a pic that shows the blow by. Keep in mind I used these gaskets.......alot.lol

Looks like the wrong port design gasket, The bassett headers have a pretty big opening on them, probly bigger than the square port gasket can manage to seal.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks like the wrong port design gasket, The bassett headers have a pretty big opening on them, probly bigger than the square port gasket can manage to seal.
The bassetts are roundish and the ports on my brodix heads are more square, I assume you all can see the 2 burnt spots(leaks) on both the gasket and the corresponding cylinders. I'll edit in a pic,the headers are larger than exhaust ports on the heads..if that makes sense.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
To me it appears they are burning out the corners. The ex ports appear to be D ports, I think the round gaskets would work fine, something closer to the header opening would crush /seal better.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Actually Kreg you have brought up a great question. Which is better, a gasket that is closer to the diameter of the port or one that is closer to the diameter of the exhaust.

In my case, Chev iron heads (classic 990 style) and Borla 2 1/4" headers...

Thanks a bunch..........john

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
This was the picture I was looking for last post.... similar port shape with round gasket, and Bassett's.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Try some Gasket Eliminator 515 or 518 put a thin coat on each side of some copper gaskets.This stuff work way better than any RTV you will find.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sorry to bring this back up guys, I have the copper gaskets now, and there narrower than the ports on the cyl heads too. We all know the fit the header like chit. Should I get round port, instead of square exhaust gaskets?? I'm not sure of anything, but I think the old gaskets were hanging in the line of fire too. Maybe I should call brodix and see if there is a spec. gasket that fits there head.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Nuthin to be sorry about Kreg. I'm in the same boat. I've pestered the local parts store with my digi caliper till they have a "do not serve" sign at the counter.

I used some Percys dead soft gaskets last time and though they lasted, I would like something that fit better. Keep pinging this up cuz it's a great question.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
You guys really need to check out the Remflex gaskets I posted in my link above. After using those, I will never use copper or regular gaskets again. They are bad ass. I also didn't have any burn out problems either.

Cool guys and made in Washington State.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts