Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at a local lake on the weekend for the afternoon. After I loaded my Hondo up the conservation officers stopped by my camp sight and told me they had over 20 noice complaints. They said I need to have mufflers to run it again.
I'm wondering what's the best sounding silencers that don't steel too much power? My engines a bbc 525-550 hp. I almost bought a set if those Rex cheap ones till I seen there only good to 425 hp. Has anyone ran them on higher hp? I'm also thinking about getting the glasspack style of Bassett ones. They look to have more flow and look like a true muffler inside.

Attachments

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
I've seen people take the cheap ones and cut them in half. so they are only 4" long or so and run them. They work fine.

The second ones down( Bassett) work very well and remove the "bark" from your engine but don't hurt performance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen people take the cheap ones and cut them in half. so they are only 4" long or so and run them. They work fine.

The second ones down( Bassett) work very well and remove the "bark" from your engine but don't hurt performance.
Thanks for the info, I was looking into buying some glass packs and sliding them in but there all 3.5 or 4 inch OD but I need 4 inch ID. Maybe ill need to cut a set down the middle and bring the outside together and weld them up to make them 4 inch ID. Probably be cheaper than the Bassetts and I'll save a ton on shipping all the way up here.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
I purchased a 2.3 ford sand rail engine that has a upswept header and it gave me a good idea for quick removal boat baffles... This 2.3 header has a slip in collar that allows you to stack on SUPERTRAP discs on the end. The slip in collar has a welded in nut and is held into the end of the header with a single screw / hole in the bottom edge / end of the header... You could stack on as many SUPERTRAP discs as you want or need and remove them when not needed...

I used to run slip in baffels on my hogs with 2" drag pipes, it was enuff to take the edge off like sleeper says, not much more than that, I don't know how strict the BOATING noise police are (yet)...

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have run both styles on my 565 and here's my take on the deal. The Bassett's headers I bought used came with a pair of the Rex style inserts, I ran them once, and while they did take the "bark" out of the exhaust, because of their design they impose a great restriction to exhaust flow and there fore cause the pipes to radiate an excessive amount of heat. They also seemed to hurt performance some what. The inside of my hull adjacent to the pipes was so hot I was surprised there was no permanent damage to the gel coat. Bought a pair of the Bassett's inserts and am very pleased with them. I did not notice any loss of performance, LEO's are happy, and the heat level is very low compared to the other set. So I would suggest you spend a few dollars more and buy the Bassett's.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have run both styles on my 565 and here's my take on the deal. The Bassett's headers I bought used came with a pair of the Rex style inserts, I ran them once, and while they did take the "bark" out of the exhaust, because of their design they impose a great restriction to exhaust flow and there fore cause the pipes to radiate an excessive amount of heat. They also seemed to hurt performance some what. The inside of my hull adjacent to the pipes was so hot I was surprised there was no permanent damage to the gel coat. Bought a pair of the Bassett's inserts and am very pleased with them. I did not notice any loss of performance, LEO's are happy, and the heat level is very low compared to the other set. So I would suggest you spend a few dollars more and buy the Bassett's.

Thanks for the info Larry. I almost bought those Rex ones till I seen on CP performance the same design with a hp rating. I'm deffently thinking of getting the basset ones. Next time the fish cops say anything ill say look inside the ends of the headers fellas I got mufflers haha.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look up GGB exhaust/ mufflers, they are in Canada and make great silencers. Tell them Eddies Inboard in Tucson sent you there.
Thanks for the info. I've never heard of that muffler manufacture before. Save a ton on shipping and going over the border. Have you seen anyone use these?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ggb

I have used them before, work very well, just as described. I actually gained a few RPMs on my na motor probably around 600 hp. They make different models for different engine specs. Give them a call, I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have used them before, work very well, just as described. I actually gained a few RPMs on my na motor probably around 600 hp. They make different models for different engine specs. Give them a call, I don't think you will be disappointed.
would you go with the sports or competition? I was thinking of going with the 8.5 long ones cause i got short rewarder headers. It says the competition ones give you more bottom end and mid range which I could use with my 427 with almost too big 990 ported heads and tunnel ram.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just got mine done a few weeks ago after a stint with the law ( DNR ) last fall I have not seen him but rolled by the sheriff no problem. I used a set of bassett stage 1 mufflers and a set of shot guns not sure on HP loss yet but it did make it alot better on sound its better than selling is what im after. I did go out after dropping kids off at the sand bar and went for a spin by my self and stomped on it and it gained RPM and still feels strong but my tanks were almost full 18 gal so alot of weight yet. I need to get it out with a 1/4 tank and no gear to really see if how it is. the only way to really know is to dyno motor again with changes i guess. this is just a river boat with a 500 bbc nothing crazy. you gotta stay off the smaller lakes I have found out. I go on the river were you only heard when going by and not all day or bigger lakes when the wind is down. some lake people just dont like us !!! or just dont get it. lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
You need to bring that boat to our Albert Lea race on 9/14. You would have a great time in our stress-free class racing, plus another car motor boat is cool! PM me if you want some info on the UMPBA or just that race. Jocko (Dave)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just got mine done a few weeks ago after a stint with the law ( DNR ) last fall I have not seen him but rolled by the sheriff no problem. I used a set of bassett stage 1 mufflers and a set of shot guns not sure on HP loss yet but it did make it alot better on sound its better than selling is what im after. I did go out after dropping kids off at the sand bar and went for a spin by my self and stomped on it and it gained RPM and still feels strong but my tanks were almost full 18 gal so alot of weight yet. I need to get it out with a 1/4 tank and no gear to really see if how it is. the only way to really know is to dyno motor again with changes i guess. this is just a river boat with a 500 bbc nothing crazy. you gotta stay off the smaller lakes I have found out. I go on the river were you only heard when going by and not all day or bigger lakes when the wind is down. some lake people just dont like us !!! or just dont get it. lol

Yeah that's totally true. For how many complaints I got the officers said. I must have got double that in thumbs up and complements on the beach. You either like them or don't I've noticed. I got my silencers today and tried them out. It took allot of the low pitch noice away.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah that's totally true. For how many complaints I got the officers said. I must have got double that in thumbs up and complements on the beach. You either like them or don't I've noticed. I got my silencers today and tried them out. It took allot of the low pitch noice away.
funny yea its about the same for me with the thumbs up deal. cant get it in or out of the water with out some one coming over and lookin at it. and my ride is not perfect its a 76 but not to many around here so it sparks some interest.well good luck to ya !! do you need to meet up with the law for a DB test? If you do let us know what you got.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You need to bring that boat to our Albert Lea race on 9/14. You would have a great time in our stress-free class racing, plus another car motor boat is cool! PM me if you want some info on the UMPBA or just that race. Jocko (Dave)
hey jocko I will get ahold of you next week Im heading up to pelican lake for a few days by cross lake and taking the boat with me. I will see if I can get a video of a fly by for you guys

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
hey jocko I will get ahold of you next week Im heading up to pelican lake for a few days by cross lake and taking the boat with me. I will see if I can get a video of a fly by for you guys
Cool, have a great time hang in' out on Horseshoe Island! You'll definitely stand out from the pontoon boats. I had a condo at Breezy Point when I was running the Sanger in my avatar pic.
Jocko

1 - 19 of 19 Posts