Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a broken exhaust bolt on my rhino and all the bits i have tried to use to drill it out have failed. What do you guys recommend to get the bolt out. Thanks for the help.?

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I have a broken exhaust bolt on my rhino and all the bits i have tried to use to drill it out have failed. What do you guys recommend to get the bolt out. Thanks for the help.?
It isn't hardened, you are either using a dull twist drill or you are spinning the drill too fast.

Where are you in SoCal?

Close to Riverside?

Brian

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Tungsten carbide would be my choice, but I'd use a reverse cut bit no matter what I was trying to remove.... 99% of the time the bolt will come out before you even have to try and get an easy-out in there. ;)

When you say they've failed, are you breaking them or are they just not cutting? Going fast isn't always the best method for something like this.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tungsten carbide would be my choice, but I'd use a reverse cut bit no matter what I was trying to remove.... 99% of the time the bolt will come out before you even have to try and get an easy-out in there. ;)

When you say they've failed, are you breaking them or are they just not cutting?
They arent cutting and a few have broken

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
You break a carbide drill using a hand drill in that hole and you will be either looking for a laser guy to get the drill out, or you are buying a new head.

Brian

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It isn't hardened, you are either using a dull twist drill or you are spinning the drill too fast.

Where are you in SoCal?

Close to Riverside?

Brian
Im in Glendora. If you are willing to give it a shot I can throw a few bucks your way.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Im in Glendora. If you are willing to give it a shot I can throw a few bucks your way.
Bring it by tonight, or first thing tommorrow and Ill do it while you wait.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
you will be either looking for a laser guy to get the drill out,
Did someone say "laser?" :D :D :D

Not cutting sounds like dull bits... ;)

Attachments

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
lh drill bit and drill slow, it'll catch and make the bolt back out;)

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
lh drill bit and drill slow, it'll catch and make the bolt back out;)
they work well IF you can find em... a quality nitrided 10% cobalt bit (the gold ones in a black and decker set) should take it out...

Put a small pilot in first 3/32 or 1/8, the smaller the bit, the faster the RPM... Step up to a 3/16 if your centered up good...

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Damn,

Talk about feeling like a jerk.

I never thought to ask if THE HEAD WAS OFF. Dammit. You'd be real lucky to be able to do it on a Rhino or Teryx while it was installed. Sorry for having you come all the way out.

It was good to met you anyway SM. Good bullshit'n too.

Let me know if you change your mind about the rest of it.

Brian

·
Administrator
11,656 Posts
If its broken off down inside a hole you may have to hit it with a small end mill to get a flat surface to drill into. The angle breaks are kind of a bitch. Tough to do on vehicle. Once you get a hole in it (I'd use a cobalt drill) using cutting oil at a relatively slow speed then soak in a 50-50 mix of acetone and atf (best thread release known to man) and use appropriate size easy out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It CAN be done with the head still on the engine. :)bulb I work on Rhinos and Teryxs every day and see this pretty regularly. I have only had one stud that I couldn't get out with the head still on the motor. It will take a lot of patience, and you have to be limber.
KMS Performance sells some studs that they guarantee that are unbreakable. I have not tried them personally. Most of the time I see broken studs because of a poorly designed exhaust system. Flanges that are too thin, mufflers that are mounted too rigidly with no coupler in the exhaust to allow movement, etc.

G

·
If its broken off down inside a hole you may have to hit it with a small end mill to get a flat surface to drill into. The angle breaks are kind of a bitch. Tough to do on vehicle. Once you get a hole in it (I'd use a cobalt drill) using cutting oil at a relatively slow speed then soak in a 50-50 mix of acetone and atf (best thread release known to man) and use appropriate size easy out.
Thanks for the info Mike. Always happy to learn something new

1 - 20 of 31 Posts