Performance Boats Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
If its broken off down inside a hole you may have to hit it with a small end mill to get a flat surface to drill into. The angle breaks are kind of a bitch. Tough to do on vehicle. Once you get a hole in it (I'd use a cobalt drill) using cutting oil at a relatively slow speed then soak in a 50-50 mix of acetone and atf (best thread release known to man) and use appropriate size easy out.
Acetone goes right to your liver so Im told... I grew up using this stuff constantly but now Im being told that it's real bad for you and to wear gloves...

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested
> penetrates for break-out
>
> torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of
> all the popular
>
> penetrates with the control being the torque required to
> remove the nut from a
>
> "scientifically rusted" environment.
>
>
>
> *Penetrating Oil and Average Load*
>
>
>
> Nothing..................... 516 pounds
>
>
>
> WD-40....................... 238 pounds
>
>
>
> PB Blaster................ 214 pounds
>
>
>
> Liquid Wrench......... 127 pounds
>
>
>
> Kano Kroil............... 106 pounds
>
>
>
> ATF-Acetone mix..... 53 pounds
>
>
>
> The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of
> 50-50 automatic transmission
>
> fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was
> better than any commercial
>
> product in this one particular test. Note also that
> "Liquid Wrench" is about as
>
> good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price
>
>
>
> Please note, I am just the messenger, so any questions
> check out "machinist workshop magazine" ???
>
> antiqbob
>

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
I've had free access to them all.
Kroil oil seems to be one of the best and Sea Doo spray lube seems to be the very best for unsticking old rusted shut power registers and louvers.

But one thing for sure, they are all different. From diesel mixed with Mineral oil to Acetone mixed with ATF and glycerin.

Acetone is some nasty stuff. I wouldn't use it around anything nice you don't want disfigured or damaged because it melts things like plasticized metal, vinyl etc.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
They used to sell a penetrating oil around here called S'OK! It was accidentally discoved when a field machinist couldn't get a bolt out a flange or some kind of pump part in a local Chemical plant. He tossed the piece into a slurry pond, which is a type off holding area for chemical waste before it's hauled off for disposal. When they couldn't find a mew piece they returned to the pond a couple days later and fished the piece out. The chemical waste had literally eaten all the corrosion off and the broken bolt was removed with ease.

They told the plant Maint Super who had the waste analyzed and came up with the new product which they marketed. I don't know if it's still around as I haven't seen it, but it was amazing stuff. It cut corrosion and worked well as a cutting lubricant. It smelled like citrus.

Found a link
http://www.shamrockspecialties.net/SOK.htm

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I have a broken exhaust bolt on my rhino and all the bits i have tried to use to drill it out have failed. What do you guys recommend to get the bolt out. Thanks for the help.?
Get a nut, weld the inside of the nut to the the broken bolt....get it good and hot...as soon as the cheery goes away, spray it with wd40..grab the nut with a pair of vice grips..wiggle it back and forth until it gets loose...

Reactions: mo658667101
21 - 31 of 31 Posts