Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Time to sell my motorcycle. I have a buyer that wants it ASAP. I still owe on the bike. So the title is not in my name yet. I called got a pay-off amount. Wrote a check for the amount sent in today. Retail Services said it could take up to a month. Now should I just wait to sell to this guy( dont know him ) when I have the title or Let him have it now? Also I've always traded in my bikes, never sold one privately. What form of payment is best. Its 8,000 dollars and I wouldn't wanna carry that kind off cash on me. I'm worried about getting ripped off buy a bad check/money order etc. Thanks

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hello to all. Time to sell my motorcycle. I have a buyer that wants it ASAP. I still owe on the bike. So the title is not in my name yet. I called got a pay-off amount. Wrote a check for the amount sent in today. Retail Services said it could take up to a month. Now should I just wait to sell to this guy( dont know him ) when I have the title or Let him have it now? Also I've always traded in my bikes, never sold one privately. What form of payment is best. Its 8,000 dollars and I wouldn't wanna carry that kind off cash on me. I'm worried about getting ripped off buy a bad check/money order etc. Thanks
Do it at the bank. If you have the same bank then no money needs to touch hands. He makes a withdrawal and the teller deposits into your account and doesn't even need to touch the money. If not then go to his bank and be with him as the cashier's check is drawn up. To make him comfortable then you write a letter stating you are selling it to him and that you will give him the pink slip when it comes and yada yada yada and then you go together and get it notarized. Both your butts are now covered. I just did this about a year ago.

·
Registered
85 Posts
get cash,or have him go with you to your bank and deposit his check there,i always insist on cash,your bank wont ? it unless its over 10k.(if you dont tell anyone about it they wont know your carrying cash)you can go to the dmv.and transfer the bike to his name for liability peace of mind then when the paperwork shows complete the ownership change,dont release bike or any papers untl your holding the $$$,and cashiers checks are only worth the paper there printed on until they clear HIS bank

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do it at the bank. If you have the same bank then no money needs to touch hands. He makes a withdrawal and the teller deposits into your account and doesn't even need to touch the money. If not then go to his bank and be with him as the cashier's check is drawn up. To make him comfortable then you write a letter stating you are selling it to him and that you will give him the pink slip when it comes and yada yada yada and then you go together and get it notarized. Both your butts are now covered. I just did this about a year ago.
Thanks. The guy is from a hit on Craigslist. Lives same state 2 hours away. So cant go to his bank. Should I trust a cert. check. Just very nervous about this. He seems OK. Thanks

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Scared to touch 8K?

Have a friend accompany you.

Don't be scared.

You might have been able to go to the leinholder directly with the money to retrieve a signed-over title.

Brian

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Thanks. The guy is from a hit on Craigslist. Lives same state 2 hours away. So cant go to his bank. Should I trust a cert. check. Just very nervous about this. He seems OK. Thanks
Dollars are bearly worth the paper they are printed on.

Cash talks-bullshit walks. Way to many ways to scam.

Don't tell him until he gets there, but also get his drivers license number, vehicle license number also.

If you dare post a thread on here in a month crying that the check you accepted bounced, I am sorry man, I WILL laugh at you.

Brian

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How's the guy going to get the bike??? I guess I'm assuming he banks at a place with a branch near you. Have him bring 8 grand in cash and then you go to the bank. Just have a friend go with you and nobody but the three of you need to know about it. I would put 10k out at a time when I was doing my backyard. I would just put the envelope in my coat and beeline for the car. Just beware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get cash,or have him go with you to your bank and deposit his check there,i always insist on cash,your bank wont ? it unless its over 10k.(if you dont tell anyone about it they wont know your carrying cash)you can go to the dmv.and transfer the bike to his name for liability peace of mind then when the paperwork shows complete the ownership change,dont release bike or any papers untl your holding the $$$,and cashiers checks are only worth the paper there printed on until they clear HIS bank
Hi, I replied before reading this one. Thanks for your time. I've heard bad things about PayPal. So maybe the best thing to do is wait for the title( I sent pay off check in today) and tell him I insist on cash. I might lose sale this route, but its safe than sorry I'm thinking.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
How's the guy going to get the bike??? I guess I'm assuming he banks at a place with a branch near you. Have him bring 8 grand in cash and then you go to the bank. Just have a friend go with you and nobody but the three of you need to know about it. I would put 10k out at a time when I was doing my backyard. I would just put the envelope in my coat and beeline for the car. Just beware of your surroundings.
Yep, even better.

Have a friend meet you at your house, the trhee of you go to the bank, sign the pink after you deposit the cash.

Done deal.

The best way.

Brian

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scared to touch 8K?

Have a friend accompany you.

Don't be scared.

You might have been able to go to the leinholder directly with the money to retrieve a signed-over title.

Brian
Hi Brian, Not me being scared to carry 8,000. Asking him to pay me cash. Thought he might have a problem with it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
CASH, CASH, CASH.. Did I say CASH. He is only 2 hours away. Don't risk anything else. If he was further away, I would say Federal Wire Transfer.

Darrell.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CASH, CASH, CASH.. Did I say CASH. He is only 2 hours away. Don't risk anything else. If he was further away, I would say Federal Wire Transfer.

Darrell.
Thanks Darrell. Just not very good at this stuff. Never done it before. I will read all the replys again. Alot of good advice here. Much thanks to all that replied. Dewey

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Want me to come down and give you back up?:)violent44:)

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
what about a postal money order or something of that sort. Then he could just go down to the post office and give them the money and you get a certified check basically.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Get the cash, give him the bike and a bill of sale,pay off the bike,get the pinkslip and cert. mail it to him.

I did that when I sold my boat last year. Had the pinkslip in hand in 3 days.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I had the same fears when we sold the kids El Camino. He lived three hours away. He didn't want to carry that much cash, so he brought a bank check. I got the info for the bank from him before he arrived and searched for his bank's phone number on the internet. Once he gave me the check I called his bank (not a number he provided) and verified all the information on the check with the bank. They'll give you the name of the person that the check was issued to, whether it's a valid check, as well as verify the amount. This way you don't have to worry about a bogus bank check.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Just tell him you want cash. If he has it in his bank, he can request it a couple of days before hand so they can make sure they have it when he comes in to get it.

The only way I would take a check is if I was at the bank with him and the bank teller issued a check right in front of me, or he can wait until the check clears before you give him the bike.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
As a buyer, it is very hard to just hand over 8K in cash without getting the title at the same time.

The last vehicle I sold I took the buyer to my credit union and had them pay off the vehicle. The extra money went into my account. Then the title was sent to them from the credit union and everything went smooth. I still gave them a bill of sale to take to the DMV to transfer title.

She was a college student that lived in So Cal, but was going somewhere in Oregon. When she went to register the vehicle, Oregon questioned the price. They sent me a form to fill out to verify the price she was saying she paid.

If the buyer wants it and it is a good deal, he will jump through any reasonable hoops you require. And don't forget to fill out the DMV paperwork so they know you sold it.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Just put the cash in a pocket close to your concealed weapon.:D

Personally, I'd tell the guy to bring cash and come get the bike. Problem is that if he has to wait for the title, he may get dinged penalties when he registers it later. As well as the fact that you may not be able to release liability or registration until the title is transferred.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts