Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BBC, not much done to the engine, just solid lifter, decent Cam. My boat starts up and pressure is 50lbs I think its a low volume oil pump, but drops soon as the oil heats up to 15-20, but then after sitting for a few mins goes back up could the oil pump be bad or could it be bearings? I am going to pull the motor over the Christmas Break. The oil had some water in it but I drained the oil twice to clear it up. I am currently running straight 30 weight.

Jason

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I have a BBC, not much done to the engine, just solid lifter, decent Cam. My boat starts up and pressure is 50lbs I think its a low volume oil pump, but drops soon as the oil heats up to 15-20, but then after sitting for a few mins goes back up could the oil pump be bad or could it be bearings? I am going to pull the motor over the Christmas Break. The oil had some water in it but I drained the oil twice to clear it up. I am currently running straight 30 weight.

Jason
Jason the general rule is 10psi for 1000 rpms eg 40 @ 4000 however most modern engine will maitain at least 25 psi at idle Assuming you guage is correct (verify with a "know good manual") I'd be concerned might be time to inspect some lower end bearings Tom

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I run Valvoline VR1 50WT. It's what I like. I run 75-90 PSI cold idle and 65-75 warmed up and running down the river.

Just so you know, the correct weight oil is, and always has been a

·
Registered
520 Posts
I run valvoline racing 20/50. My opinion on your oil pressure is, you should flip it over and roll some bearings in and install a high vol pump. That should correct your oil pressure woes. Bearings are cheaper than crank, rods, pistons and a block.:)bulb We can all agree on that!!!

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I run Valvoline VR1 50WT. It's what I like. I run 75-90 PSI cold idle and 65-75 warmed up and running down the river.

Just so you know, the correct weight oil is, and always has been a
Yea, there's already 20 threads (or more) on "which oil should I use", and everyone advises you run what they run.

My engine makes 55+psi at idle when it's cold, 59psi flat-footed hot, just under 6,000rpm, for miles, 23psi hot, at idle, and this is just fine for an engine.
I run 10w-50 synthetic, Castrol Syntech, have for 5 years now.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I run valvoline racing 20/50. My opinion on your oil pressure is, you should flip it over and roll some bearings in and install a high vol pump. That should correct your oil pressure woes. Bearings are cheaper than crank, rods, pistons and a block.:)bulb We can all agree on that!!!
Just from past experiance I would stay away from that HV pump

How much oil do you think will end up in the heads after running down the lake or river turning some good rpm?

I had oiling problems with a HV pump causing a lose of pressure at high rpm, so it got switched to a standard volume pump and everything worked great after that;)

As far as oil is concerned that is a can of worms:(:(

I use 15-50 mobil 1 not saying its the one for you just saying it works for me:D

·
Classic Hotboater!
932 Posts
I would stay away from the High volume pump also turning that many RPM's. Pumps all the oil to the top and then all out the breathers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would stay away from the High volume pump also turning that many RPM's. Pumps all the oil to the top and then all out the breathers.

I noticed that also my breathers had oil coming out of them. I gotta check that out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

I switched to a high volume pump and dont have that issue........Any more :D. I had to get some tall breathers.. Before the tall breathers it was a MESS. then again im not turning the RPMS that a lot of you big dogs are with my rat motor so YMMV.

However i will say there was a big fat warning on my high volume pump about how the PSI will drop at idle to below what a normal pump would reflect. So far it seems to be an accurate discription of how she acts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts