Performance Boats Forum banner

Beware of UPS

7K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  konajet74 
#1 · (Edited)
Just want to vent a little. Doing it in the Jet section because it has to do with shipping jets.

I’m so XXXXXXX mad, I can hardly write. UPS has broken two new and 1 rebuilt pumps in the past 30 days. They are about to break me. I’ve packed every one according to their specs, and they won’t pay for them even though they were signed off at the dock for packing and insured. I’ve been fighting with them for two weeks. Then they leave me a message on the machine at night. CASE CLOSED. I don’t know what the hell to do.

Wed, I laughed and told the UPS man, go ahead and take one more before I switch back to FedEx, It only goes to Wichita, and surly they can deliver one that close without damaging it. Well; I just got this email 30 min ago.

Here’s the pictures of the pump. I really can’t win for losin!!!

This is what happened on my end in case you need it for a claim to UPS. I received the package via UPS on Friday afternoon. The delivery guy struggled with it (carrying it – didn’t use a dolly). He threw it down on the concrete – very hard according to my standards. I took it to the garage and went out this morning, opened it and noticed the crack.

I called the UPS shipper here and they said that there wasn’t anything that I could do that you would have to initiate the claim process.

Please let me know what I need to do on my end.

Sorry for the inconvenience once again!!

Thanks

I sure hate to have to switch back to FedEx again because of their erratic pick up times in our remote area. But, It looks like UPS leaves me no choice. I quit UPS 6 years ago because of the same problem when I was back in KS. Then I shipped with FedEx for 6 years, same packaging every time, and NEVER had a broken pump. Three months ago I switched back to UPS because of their easier pickup schedule here, and now I have three broken pumps that they will not pay for. I’ve spent a lot of money buying their insurance. It is NO GOOD!

Duane HTP

See less See more
#2 ·
I ship some very delicate parts for my work from time to time. UPS almost always broke them, never paid.

Fedex has broke a few, but they have paid every single time and they pay quickly for broken items. Never had any problems with Fed Ex on insurance claims.

I ship stuff UPS when I know they can't f*ck it up.

When it's really important, ships Fed Ex

I have active accounts with both, UPS almost always beats Fed Ex on price, but that is it.

UPS sucks. The insurance you pay for always is useless. They never cover anything. They will always say that the poorly packaged, or incorrect packaging.......

#4 · (Edited)
I hear you Duane. UPS broke a billet Scat crankshaft. I about shit when I received the package. Sent it back to the place I ordered it from, they magged it and found a crack. How the hell do you break a billet crankshaft? I did get my money back from UPS though. Next crank I ordered was a billet Bryant Racing crank. They dropped this one too, this time I shit down both legs. I sent this one back to Bryant Racing, Joe checked it over and there was no "Significant" damage. Joe built a wood box and placed the crank in the cardboard box and then in the wood box and shipped it again.

Check you PM's Duane.

Vern

#5 ·
I hear you Duane. UPS broke a billet Scat crankshaft. I about shit when I received the package. Sent it back to the place I ordered it from, they magged it and found a crack. How the hell do you break a billet crankshaft? I did get my money back from UPS though. Next crank I ordered was a billet Bryant Racing crank. They dropped this one too, this time I shit down both leggs. I sent this one back to Bryant Racing, Joe checked it over and there was no "Significant" damage. Joe built a wood box and placed the crank in the cardboard box and then in the wood box and shipped it again.

Check you PM's Duane.

Vern

roll it out of the back of a truck.

#6 ·
Keep paying the extra cost/inconvienience on FedEx to make sure they still stay ahead in customer service as you say.....I'm sure you and they will appreciate the business.

UPS sucks and you keep paying.....and getting largely disappointed in their whole service. Why the F would you keep giving them $$$$$?

Everything I've shipped (nowhere near as bulky as your stuff) has always gone USPS....and so far I've never had an issue......so I keep using their service.

#8 · (Edited)
I hear ya one UPS I once got a vaccum pump that UPS had repackage and labled it, before signing for it I open the box to find a pump that looked like it had fell out of the truck and ran over several times. Last year I ordered a pair of 16v powermasters and one of them had been dropped very hard sent it back to the distributor and they handled the claim with ups and no cost to me.

Try to get ahold of a higher up at UPS if you sqeack loud enougn and long enough they will have to do something.

#9 ·
Sucks because the UPS guys around here are so much nicer and cooler guys than the fedex guys. The UPS guys here carry dog treats, take some time to get the know you, and will actually sit with your dog for a few minutes. This of course just helps protect there ass :D

The fedex guys are idiots, they are never on time, and one of them tried to tell me my dog big him 2 weeks prior of a delivery... He said it bit his hand. I think what happened was that the UPS guys give him treats so he went up to smell the guys hand and the dudes fingers maybe hit his teeth or mouth alittle bit. No way he got big. Anyway this idiot tells my 30lb, 6 year old son to hold my 70 pound pitbull like my sons going to be able to stop him from "attacking" him.

I did have a friend way back to worked at UPS, he told me they just throw shit around. he worked in the loading area (loading trucks).

It's sad that so many business's these days cant seam to do quality work or stand behind there work.

#24 ·
"fedex guys are idiots, they are never on time, and one of them tried to tell me my dog big him 2 weeks prior of a delivery... He said it bit his hand. I think what happened was that the UPS guys give him treats so he went up to smell the guys hand and the dudes fingers maybe hit his teeth or mouth alittle bit. No way he got big. Anyway this idiot tells my 30lb, 6 year old son to hold my 70 pound pitbull like my sons going to be able to stop him from "attacking" him."

This little story really irks me. As someone who has delivered and shipped literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PACKAGES of all types, from Tankers full of Nitrogen Tetroxide to Area 51, to 1/2 ounce packages with 2 Rod Dowels, this is what ALL Transportation workers fear most. A strange, viscious dog snarling/lunging at them through a door, fence, partition, WHATEVER, that is between them and their delivery.

I don't know you, but 'IDIOT' doesn't really fit the FedEx guy. Someone used poor judgement in your story as described.

If he was my guy and called in regarding a problem like this, I, as a Dispatcher or Route Supervisor, wouldn't let him deliver till the dog was put away....PERIOD. You'd have to deal with the higher ups to come pick up your packages from then on, as liability for dog bites/attacks is a MAJOR concern for all transportation companies.

Just my take.

RR

#10 ·
Yeah, our driver here locally is not the problem, He's a really nice guy and has tried to help. He says the problem is at the distribution centers like our stuff goes through in St Louis. Said he used to work there and has seen hundreds of packages fall off of clogged conveyer belts over 30 feet in the air. That should be what insurance is for. It's hard to pack a 125 lb. pump to withstand anything like that.

#37 · (Edited)
This one just happend to me the other day. Same exact deal. Gate was unlocked and they tossed it over the fence. UPS sucks big time. There wasn't a corner on the box that wasn't smashed. It even said on the slip "Nobody home. Delivered over the fence". I thought they were kidding until I saw the box laying there.

I will say that we use Fed Ex for all our work stuff. I send and receive packages almost daily and have had very good luck with them. I know others haven't been as fortunate, but given the choice................it'd be Fed Ex for me. I've been with the same company for 20 years. That many packages sent and received (again almost daily) and I can count the lost/broken stuff on one hand. That aint bad in my book.

Duane, how about some kind of wooden custom pump box with a cradle built into it. Charge a deposit/ fee and have the customer return it so it can be re-used. A pain in the arse to be sure, but maybe less so than dealing with the inept shippers.

#12 ·
Duane I feel your pain ,We ship alot of jets too and folks ship them in , we even have a " Boxing instruction tutorial" we send out ! Those monkeys can break anything ! Keep on them and don't let up , call UPS Corporate customer relations in Atlanta and complain (I'll give you the number) ask to speak to the UPS CEO's executive secretary ! about 1 out of every 15 to 20 jets gets damaged , they always turn it down the first couple go rounds , (we call it the flinch test) the people your dealing will be the UPS "insurance adjusters" probably Crawford and company (contractors) Keep fighting and don't let up Ohhh the stories I could tell you :|err Tom

#13 ·
Duane I feel your pain ,We ship alot of jets too and folks ship them in , we even have a " Boxing instruction tutorial" we send out ! Those monkeys can break anything ! Keep on them and don't let up , call UPS Corporate customer relations in Atlanta and complain (I'll give you the number) ask to speak to the UPS CEO's executive secretary ! about 1 out of every 15 to 20 jets gets damaged , they always turn it down the first couple go rounds , (we call it the flinch test) the people your dealing will be the UPS insurance "insurance adjusters" probably Crawford and company (contractors) Keep fighting and don't let up Ohhh the stories I could tell you :|err Tom
Good advice.

#19 ·
Not much and I don't use them but Summit does ! day before Yesterday my Fed ex Next day pakage (with Tommy's AN fittings) was "lost" after I yelled and threatend told them I had a guy enroute 250 miles to retrieve a boat (and they said there was nothing they could do , I got put on hold and the local depot supervisor answered , then he drove the package 2o miles to the shop and put it in Josh's jeep while we were at lunch ;)

#30 ·
Regarding packaging , most of us who ship go to great lengths to protect these packages and get the parts to our customers in one piece,The last thing we desire is a angry frustrated customer much less have time to spend hours of phones and emails doing "battle" with the endless stream of UPS "placating appologizers" trying to wear us down so we'll simply give up! We have worked with the reps and shippers to comply with thier packaging requirements and still the problems exist. I've come to accept that some of this will occur , I have little hope that it will ever be resolved completely with UPS or Fed ex or ?? . AT (Ron) did do, as said above (multiple packages) they even went to the extent below (over and above the very best of boxing cartons and packing ) to insure that these packages would arrive in one piece. The tags on the boxes actually register "shock" above a certain acceptable level and will help when trying to get a claim paid . Once had a customer tell me he watched a delivery driver roll a 90lb Pump box end over end down a dozen concrete steps to the truck :) The battle continues...

re the dog issue (especially at shops and businesses) First I've been proud owner or very large breeds all my life , I was recently bitten not once but three times in rapid succesion by a complex neighbors "shop dog" while simply walking thru my parking lot . Needless to say this issue has not been totally resolved yet .... I did however put the landlord/super on notice and have admonished the owners of the dogs that neither I or anyone else (including delivery drivers) will ever have this situation occur again When my dog is not in his run or in my fences hes chained or on a leash just my 02

#32 ·
We call them "United Punch and Smash" around here. I got REALLY lucky Friday. UPS delivered a new hydraulic pump for this tractor I'm working on. It's pretty heavy and the morons at the tractor place (only the next state away) just threw it in an oversized box with a bunch of bubble wrap!!! As you can guess, there were holes punched all over the box and the bubble wrap was destroyed, but I have yet to find any damage..... Must be the toughest darn chinese part ever made!!

I have way more tales of woe, but thought you guys might like to hear about the 1 part they didn't destroy this week just to change it up a bit. ;)

#34 ·
What Are The Choices???

Fed Ex, U.S. Mail and UPS, or deliver it yourself. Those seem to be the choices.

I ship 1,200 packages a year. I have GIVEN UP trying to collect insurance from UPS or U.S. Mail. On UPS I insure for the minumum, wrap it such away that you can throw it out of a moving truck and it won't get damaged. BUT, my heaviest package is 35 pounds.

If one of my props get damaged, I just have it sent back and I fix it. If it never gets there, which seems to happen on any U.S. Mail package NOT INSURED....I just replace it as a cost of doing business.

My UPS guy is the greatest, he comes twice a day, knowing I frequently am not in, but knows I have stuff to ship.

My answer, and it isn't the best, but when I ship a motor (outboard) I wrap it in bubble wrap, wrap it on cardboard, bubble wrap the cardboard and rewrapped the bubble wrap with cardboard, 4-6 rolls of tape later, I've made a "CAPSULE" for my outboard.

My worst UPS experience was when I bought a motor from Boston College, or some college up there. UPS took six weeks to deliver it, it was busted to hell when I got it. We negotiated $300 settlement. UPS sent the check to the COLLEGE and I never got a dime. UPS said, "That is the way they pay insurance claims, to the shipper..." I said, "What about me?"

They said talk to Boston College...I said, "I'm in California....."

I honestly believe, UPS's policy is to NOT PAY any insurance claim.

But my experience with FED EX is worse! Is sent a Bravo drive to Wisconsin. I paid FED EX to box it. They broke the skeg off. They paid for a new one. We joked about the broken skeg as they boxed the new one. They broke that skeg off too. The guy welded a new one on, and told Fed Ex to bite him.
Six months later I got a bill for the second shipping.

Fed Ex seems to bill whatever they can, whenever they can. Probably most companies just pay the bills, but I'm fighting with them now over $400 worth of charges I can't even start to figure out, when, who or what was shipped.

ADD FED EX: They have various rates for various customers, my acount was one number off, and this other account was paying half what I was, except his bill was on mine.

I'm not very religious, but everytime I ship something, I do pray! Pray it gets there unbusted!

Last add; LUCKY, when people send us props for repair, lucky for them their props are already screwed up as they come in with blades sticking out the side of the box, boxes torn open. They wreck them, we fix them!

#36 ·
just an FYI in the peak of my buisness shipping, I would send well over 100 packages a week. After all of the above issues with ups and fed ex i gave DHL a shot. My experiance was nicer drivers, more flexialbe to my buisness needs, on time everytime, faster delivery's then the others, and cheaper. Never a single issue. Just food for thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.