Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Silverwood in a reservation lake and they are usually really booked on weekends. last person I know that went there had to get there at 6 am to try and get one of the 50 none reserved spots. Big Bear doesn't have that problem.

· MAMA TRIED
1,630 Posts
Silverwood in a reservation lake and they are usually really booked on weekends. last person I know that went there had to get there at 6 am to try and get one of the 50 none reserved spots. Big Bear doesn't have that problem.
This is true, well at least it used to be true. I haven't been in a long time. We would have to wait for a long time to get on, and you had to get there early. Ramp was wide and nice at the time.

I would say go to the river...Or go to big bear and stay the weekend.

· Re - Member?
738 Posts
Big Bear is better

Big Bear is bigger, more scenic, & town w/ restaurants is closer. Unfortunately Big Bear is / was a longer curvy road at higher altitude last time I went there. Silverwood is very small and yep last few times I went there we had to camp out on the side of the road the night before in order to get on the next morning.

· Dreaming of snow
1,046 Posts
Big Bear is a much nicer lake. If its windy it will be more choppy though. Been to silverwood 3 times, 2 of the times someone died. One of the times was a real pain in the arse as the guy had a heart attack while fishing on the docks for the launch ramp. We had to wait 3.5 hours to launch until the coroner got there.

Glad that we now have a place in arrowhead. Much nicer to boat there.

· Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I boat on Big Bear all the time. Mostly with my Father-in-laws boat but mine too.. Bottom line with Big Bear is that 99.9% of the time it gets blown out by 9:30a and stays bad for the rest of the day. The launch ramps are a mess on busy weekends and most folks don't get the drill, ie RightyTighty would blow a gasket in no time...

The only real way to have a good time on the water in BB is to get on the water at 6am, rip around the lake (at 35mph) do some skiing,boarding and rafting for 3 hours then go to Boulder Bay or another cove and anchor,Fish, play some tunes and enjoy your favorite beverage, because the water is just not enjoyable in the afternoon.. The water is cold too.. It's a far cry from the river but it can be a good time if you do it right and don't expect a whole lot...

· Registered
355 Posts
I also found the bottom is very close to the surface near the North Launch Ramp at BB (Morrison ramp). Luckily I was engine-off drifting in the breeze yakking with friends on the boat (a hundred+ feet out from shore) and the prop touched bottom.

It is a better lake to boat on, tho.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mind the rough water do to the fact that I have a offshore style deep "V". I was just concerned about hidden surprizes (just got the new prop) and ramp acess. I live in Temecula and I was looking to find a nice lake to run the boat besides in the "Big Blue" or on Elsinore.

· Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Any thoughts from those who have towed up the mountian? 330, the fastest, 18 or 38 the longest. Which is the best towing. We will be coming form SD, is it worth it to take a longer route?
I tow up there a lot... Without a doubt, the back way on the 18 is what you want to do.. The back way has a fraction of twisty miles, I think 8 miles then you're up there.. The front was is fast and stressful towing, especially on a Friday..

· Registered
613 Posts
Big Bear Lake is beautiful. They won't allow any boats over 26' and there is a $25.00 charge for the day use permit. Haven't been to Silverwood in years but I know it gets crowded. We used to have to camp out the night before to be in the line to get on the lake.
I thought you had to be a resident or property owner to boat on Big Bear at least thats what everyone kept telling me when i was up there a few months ago...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.