Performance Boats Forum banner

Big cat poker run

6K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Powercat89 
#1 ·
Whats the dealio? Whose going?

#2 · (Edited)
Comment:

Signed up getting the boat ready and booked my hotel all in one shot.

I sure hope it is worth it all of my DLB boater friends tell me it will be worth the 11 hour drive towing our boat.

I heard I need a good map and GPS and I should be good to go:)devil.

This will be an interesting trip hope to meet more of the DLB people so far they are awesome boaters and great peeps:).

The BIG CAT poker run has been on my bucket list for awhile we were gonna wait until next year to go but figured we need to at least scope it out this year.

If it turn out to be a lot of fun we will make it an annual event on our calendar.

KAP

P.S. Hulshot hope your around that weekend as well as Rik and a few others:).

#5 · (Edited)
HI KAP.

you should not have any trouble in your 28' boat on the delta. That is unless you have size envy. :p :D

I think my cronies and myself will be going but not running in the event. I've always wanted to check this out. I haven't been to this event but we are looking forward to it also.

The DLB should be along shortly to give us some info. They are probably still recovering from their last run. :D :)devil

BTW; The GPS is key. you can get a Delta map from West Marine (if not you can probably find one upon your arrival). Then its no problem. If not I have 20 copies in my boat. But don't follow me, you will never make it. :D

Hope to see you there.

WINSPEED; its in discovery bay.

#8 ·
HI KAP.

you should not have any trouble in your 28' boat on the delta. That is unless you have size envy. :p :D

I think my cronies and myself will be going but not running in the event. I've always wanted to check this out. I haven't been to this event but we are looking forward to it also.

The DLB should be along shortly to give us some info. They are probably still recovering from their last run. :D :)devil

BTW; The GPS is key. you can get a Delta map from West Marine (if not you can probably find one upon your arrival). Then its no problem. If not I have 20 copies in my boat. But don't follow me, you will never make it. :D

Hope to see you there.

WINSPEED; its in discovery bay.
Hey DaveC:

Did you say size envy....love double D's C's etc...:D are you talking boats;).

I have a great sense of direction and can use a GPS and plotter. However, I'm kinda old school and love a great detailed map chart.

We look forward to this trip it really has been on my list for a long time.

kap when are you coming up ????, i'm gonna go run the first two stops in the morn then a boys football game at 2pm then off to a wedding at 6pm so my day is packed .like too hook up maybe fri at ski beach or garlic bros for a coldie !!!!
Ola Tunnel T:

We should be arriving on Thursday early so we can get our bearings straight. Booked a hotel in Brentwood I am going to talk to Rayzor and Rik hopefully they will be around. I would also like to meet up with you and Hulshot and a few others.

This is an adult trip just the wife and I the kids are staying with their arbuelos:D. Friday is definitely open and maybe we can get everyone together for a pre poker run excursion. I am all about burning some fuel that weekend and hitting the bar afterward---hell no kids and a weekend of boating with my wife/wingman it's gonna be fun.

That sounds great thus far I am very impressed with the DLB peeps they have great hospitality and class. Wish we had a Southern Calif Branch of DLB...a SCLB but I have found it is the people that make the club and not the title.

Midwest boaters are the same way tons of hospitality and love to go fast in any type of boat.

Hope to cultivate more performance boating friendships and get to see some nice catamarans.

Tunnel T, I will PM you contact information as it gets closer.

KAP

P.S. The name of our boat is Miss Silver Bullet:).

#7 ·
kap when are you coming up ????, i'm gonna go run the first two stops in the morn then a boys football game at 2pm then off to a wedding at 6pm so my day is packed .like too hook up maybe fri at ski beach or garlic bros for a coldie !!!!

#10 ·
Yep I will be attending this one as well. I will be in a 27 eliminator with Waffleman, supportin the DLB entries. Dont worry Kap the run will be a good turn out of all types of boats. A few years ago I ran it in a 21 eliminator. Good New Travels fast ran it one year in a 20 stoker and made it 2 stops, water was just too big that day but I think he got the biggest balls award and Racer got I think some prize money for broken boat award for blowing off his engine hatch while sailing through the air over a big wake at some insane speed...

#13 · (Edited)
Yep I will be attending this one as well. I will be in a 27 eliminator with Waffleman, supportin the DLB entries. Dont worry Kap the run will be a good turn out of all types of boats. A few years ago I ran it in a 21 eliminator. Good New Travels fast ran it one year in a 20 stoker and made it 2 stops, water was just too big that day but I think he got the biggest balls award and Racer got I think some prize money for broken boat award for blowing off his engine hatch while sailing through the air over a big wake at some insane speed...
Hey Hullshot:

Should I put the cleaver combination on :D or leave the Bravo setup the cleaver has better midrange, holeshot and planing ability and the Bravo has the top end and fuel economy.

Is this a fast event or a mid-range cruise get around a lot of traffic event. For Example: the LOTO poker run is all about top speed hanging it out for like 40miles to the first card stop then look for more fuel somewhere:))eek:)).

Look forward to meeting up we should be in town on Thursday late afternoon I will PM you contact information.

KAP

P.S. I feel better knowing you ran it in a 21 Eliminator I thought our little boat at 28ft was going to be a dinghy:).

P.P.S. Where is the best place to launch we are staying in Brentwood at the Hampton Inn hoping to run on Friday. We have never been to the Delta so any and all information is appreciated by the veterans. Is VP110 fuel available anywhere at the pump or am I dellusional?

#15 ·
Hey everybody! The Big Cat is def a must-do event for anyone! The dlb guys are a great bunch and it'd be great to see a lot of you there.
As many of you know, I shoot photos of these events, and I try to cover my costs by selling prints, and if lucky, I make a little bit of $ for my time. So far I surely don't get rich at this, but I love what I do and I enjoy capturing these events for you all! It's not about me but it's about the whole group, and a fun and safe event.

Here's the scoop: Brett Bayne from this fine magazine expressed interest in coming up here, so maybe he'll write something up. My partner and I have a helicopter "penciled" in on reserve and this magazine expressed interest in helping us with the cost of the helicopter in exchange for great shots, particularly good head-on angle shots (more than just a bunch of side angle shots). If they decide to cover the event there is a chance for some of you and your boat to be published in the magazine - it's all up to the editorial staff.

So we need to cover our costs for the other half of the helicopter. To commit to doing this we need to get an idea of how many people would be interested in us getting great shots of them on their boats during the run, and we'd sell prints at a fair price. If we don't get enough interest then we cannot run this at a loss (I have before, many times, but in this economy I just cannot afford to run at a loss). So, connect with me and send me email to express your interest and we'll give you all priority over anybody else and you'll get a nice print (13x19 size - a very nice size to hang on the wall), and maybe even a chance to see your boat in Performance Boats Magazine! The latter is up to the editing staff and layout artist, not us, but I'd submit the photos. A lot of the folks I've snapped photos for have appeared in various magazines, but still, many of you have not. Would that not be cool to show off to your friends, a photo of you in this magazine?!

Many of you have seen the work I did for Desert Storm in Havasu (2009 & 2010 covered here in PerfBoatsMag!).

Call me, email me, yell at me, let me know... Thanks all - I really enjoy doing this for you all, especially the dlb gang - they're the best!!

-Lenny - Shoot-2-Thrill
707.416.8805 - Cell
Lenny@Shoot-2-Thrill.com
www.Shoot-2-Thrill.com

#16 ·
Kap, run the Bravo not for speed just milage. Orwoods is about 2 miles from Discobay marina and should be less congested when putting in or pulling the boats out, but Disco Bay mairina is where all the action is and festivities will be to start and end the day... Both ramps are within a few minutes of your hotel.

#20 ·
Steamin Rice:

I appreciate all your responses it echos what everyone has been telling us. I briefly reviewed some simple maps of the area and it looks like a friggen maze of canals or sloughs it should be fun exploring.

Your right about following locals that seems to be the ticket as you can get lost real easy and our boat does not have the range most of the offshore boats do. We carry 80 gallons of gas good for about 45-60 miles depending on how much I am on the boost. That 8.3litre blower is always thirsty:D.

Next year we will have the right boat for the Alcatraz lunch run this year we have the river boat. Gotta tell you my wife saw the pictures of the water around the Alcatraz photo and told me don't even think about it:):D. I was like come on honey wouldn't it be fun to fly our boat over that rough azz water---answer death look:mad:.

Looking forward to this event it should be a lot of fun going to get the boat tonight and get things ready.

Hope the weather cooperates.

KAP

P.S. FYI---The New Jersy poker run is sold out that is the first one of the year I heard about that is sold out---it is a limited entry event:)sphss.

#21 ·
Welcome to all from out of town to Big Cat!!!

Yes, this is a very fun and social poker run - lots of people to meet and we see all of the folks we may not have seen from all over the country! From Big Cats to smaller Cats, Big Vee's to smaller Vee's - it's all here - and the folks who put this event on work very hard to make it fun and safe! Let's respect their efforts by being safe.

Just my $0.02 worth of input - if you are from out of the area or this is your first time up here just note that there are shallows in many places, but the course runs over deep water and you s/b fine. If you deviate then you can find yourself in the shallows and nobody likes to hear that thump-bang sound of their outdrive striking a sunken object!

Details are covered at the mandatory morning safety meeting and again the layout is planned over deep water. But some folks like to go and play before or afterward or they may see some sites off the beaten path - if you choose to venture somewhere, get a chart, and buddy up with a local who knows these waters. Also, be mindful of any other family boaters out there as we do not own the water and no one in the group is above the law. Flying fast through tight sloughs is a big mistake that will just ruin it for everyone. So again, if you're new to the Delta, buddy with a local so you are sure to stay on course and thus in the deep water :)

If all safety considerations are heeded and alcohol is left out of the picture while out there, then all will go well. It's a great event and a lot of fun with much to see and do! Plenty of big water too!

We s/b in the air shooting photos, so let us know if you're interested in a photo and let's discuss this so we know how to find you (what your boat looks like and the ideal places we'll try to capture photos).

Welcome to all, please enjoy the event, have a lot of fun, but above all, keep it safe!

-Lenny
Lenny@Shoot-2-Thrill.com

#23 ·
Hello Tommy:

That is the plan we are headed up on Thursday so we can do some exploring on Friday. I hear the DLB boaters will be out in full force.

I think a DLB member should take the lead and do a roll call for a Friday run. I.E. Meet up at X or Y and say everyone has at least an hour to make it out then it is start your engines and let's roll.

Someone pick a place to meet and list who is coming out.

KAP

#35 ·
Me??
there will be some others from the DLB and some newbies as well. We will see you in Pitsburg to start it off. should be a good run, going all the way to stockton from pitsburg then back to disco, should be an awsome ride. I will take alot of pics from who is around us. I will be riding with Waffleman in his bad ass 27 eliminator. :)devil

#37 ·
Rocker Down is Back

:|err Rocker Down Broke Down:|err Thank's to T. A. & Sean, in Sacramento, they repaired the Port engine. (Head Gasket). Don @ Hullshot, repaired my drive, and did it in three days and under budget.:D A lot of my DLB friends were their for some great advice, and help, Steave, Bob, Jeff, Rob, and Don @ High Power Marine Drives. Don was recommened by all the DLB and did a great job. We will be @ the Big Cat on Friday, Thanks to Don, can't wait to see all my DLB friends and buy Tunnel T a Birthday drink. :)devil Rocker Down :)devil

#42 ·
The online registration for the poker run is closed, can you sign up for the event Saturday morning or is it completely closed? There is no phone number on the web site that I could find.

Next question is there anybody running around that's not in the poker run that I could run my boat with if I can't sign up for the poker run. I have never been to the Delta before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.